The Student Room Group

Aqa scly 4

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what came up in SCLY 4 in June 2013 as I am going to start making revision notes but I want to not make as many for the stuff that came up last exam. And have your tutors get predicted what may come up?

Thanks
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Hi, I sat the June 2013 paper.
The questions were:

01. Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations of the role of the mass media in creating moral panics about crime and deviance (21 marks).

02. Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations of the functions and forms of the punishment of offenders (21 marks).

03. Using material from Item C and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of using group interviews as a means of investigating young offenders (15 marks).

04. Assess the contribution of Marxism to our understanding of society (33 marks).

Item A:
"The news media are one of our main sources of knowledge about crime and deviance. Often the media will create a moral panic surrounding crims and criminals or deviants.
Moral panics can lead to a range of responses by the public, by agents of social control and by the criminals or deviants themselves. Over-representation of certain types of crimes may lead to heightened fear of these crimes by the public. In some cases, moral panics may also result in a change in the law."

Item B:
"Punishment of offenders is seen by some sociologists as vital to maintaining social solidarity, by showing people the consequences of breaking the norms of society. Other sociologists see punishment as one way in which those in power are able to exert their authority.
The forms of punishment will vary between different societies and may change over time. An example of a change is the move in some societies from public execution to life inprisonment for the punishment of murderers.
The punishment of offenders may also vary depending on the desired outcome of the punishment. Punishments may act as a deterrent or as a form of rehabilitation."

Item C:
"Young offenders are likely to have certain characteristics, such as underachievement in school. Many will use slang and street language. Young offenders may also be from a working-class background. Some may be members of an anti-school subculture and, as such, are likely to resent authority. Membership of a criminal subculture may also mean that young offenders feel pressured by the group.
Young offenders may be in custody, or may live in temporary or less stable accommodation. Although offenders will be known to the criminal justice system, their age may mean that data relating to them are not freely available.
Young offenders often feel socially excluded and marginalised from society, and so they may welcome the chance to talk about their experiences."

I hope this helps you with your revision. :smile:
Topic four - realist theories (right and lift) on crime and deviance. Never has come up and its LONG overdue to!
Reply 4
Original post by amspawforth
The questions were:

01. Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations of the role of the mass media in creating moral panics about crime and deviance (21 marks).

02. Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations of the functions and forms of the punishment of offenders (21 marks).

03. Using material from Item C and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of using group interviews as a means of investigating young offenders (15 marks).

04. Assess the contribution of Marxism to our understanding of society (33 marks).

Item A:
"The news media are one of our main sources of knowledge about crime and deviance. Often the media will create a moral panic surrounding crims and criminals or deviants.
Moral panics can lead to a range of responses by the public, by agents of social control and by the criminals or deviants themselves. Over-representation of certain types of crimes may lead to heightened fear of these crimes by the public. In some cases, moral panics may also result in a change in the law."

Item B:
"Punishment of offenders is seen by some sociologists as vital to maintaining social solidarity, by showing people the consequences of breaking the norms of society. Other sociologists see punishment as one way in which those in power are able to exert their authority.
The forms of punishment will vary between different societies and may change over time. An example of a change is the move in some societies from public execution to life inprisonment for the punishment of murderers.
The punishment of offenders may also vary depending on the desired outcome of the punishment. Punishments may act as a deterrent or as a form of rehabilitation."

Item C:
"Young offenders are likely to have certain characteristics, such as underachievement in school. Many will use slang and street language. Young offenders may also be from a working-class background. Some may be members of an anti-school subculture and, as such, are likely to resent authority. Membership of a criminal subculture may also mean that young offenders feel pressured by the group.
Young offenders may be in custody, or may live in temporary or less stable accommodation. Although offenders will be known to the criminal justice system, their age may mean that data relating to them are not freely available.
Young offenders often feel socially excluded and marginalised from society, and so they may welcome the chance to talk about their experiences."

You didn't actually memorise the paper did you? :O
Are you re-sitting unit 4? :smile:
Original post by Sparkle24
You didn't actually memorise the paper did you? :O
Are you re-sitting unit 4? :smile:

Hi,

No I didn't memorise the paper, my teacher gave us the papers back after the exam.

I am resitting due to not having a teacher for the most part of last year and being unsatisfied with the grade that I got.
Reply 6
Social Policy is apparently long overdue coming up.
Original post by s.95.
Social Policy is apparently long overdue coming up.

I've heard the same, is that what your teacher is predicting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by FutureMedic1009

Posted from TSR Mobile

He hasn't really said tbh. Other than that social policy hasn't come up for last 8 papers or something mad like that!
yours?
Reply 9
Hi,

No I didn't memorise the paper, my teacher gave us the papers back after the exam.

I am resitting due to not having a teacher for the most part of last year and being unsatisfied with the grade that I got.

I am re-sitting too :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by FutureMedic1009

Posted from TSR Mobile

unit 1 right?

social policy and demography haven't come in a while!
Need to finish covering methods and theories now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The questions were:

Item A:

Item B:

Item C:

Thank you for this.
Hey! Anyone know of any good essay plans for theory 33 marker questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending