The Student Room Group

Permanently straighten or perm my bleh hair? Or is there another option?

So my hair used to be go into natural ringlets... but for some unknown reason over the last four years my hair's got straighter and straighter, it still looked cool about a year ago it was beach waves esque. But now it's just a frizzy mess. It's still wavy on the underneath but the top of my hair is practically straight in places, but frizzy straight rather than groomed straight. It really doesn't look good naturally anymore and it is so thick and long and therefore time consuming to heat style it.

So I'm thinking of processing it... so I can go back to the days where I can just wash and go. I can't decide whether to use wellastrate or get a perm. I Like straight hair as it feels polished, but I feel a lot more glamourous with curly hair. I'd be worried it wouldn't hold a curl when I had a special occasion. Also I can't work out what the active ingredient is in wellstrate. I won't consider a brazillian blowdry because of the formaldehyde. Plus the price... I know my friend would do me a good deal on the wellastrate.

However, a perm gone wrong... looks really bad. My hairdresser friend also hasn't done a perm before so I'd probably go to a salon and spend a small fortune. On the plus side wellastrate only lasts a month or two. where as I will only need a re-perm every 6-12 months. So actually the price might work the same.

However, is here an alternative I'm not thinking off? Because I know processing hair isn't good (but then neither is heat damage). Does anyone know why my hair texture changed in the first place?

Oh and girls and guys, what do you think looks better anyway, curly or straight hair?
Reply 1
Are you sure your hair would hold a perm? I was considering one but I have really long, thick hair and my hairdresser said it wouldn't work :sad:
Reply 2
Original post by rachel.h
Are you sure your hair would hold a perm? I was considering one but I have really long, thick hair and my hairdresser said it wouldn't work :sad:

I don't like disagreeing with professionals... but thick hair is usually better suited to perms. It's like curlers... fine hair curls just tend to fall out unless they use a LOT of hairspray. However, fine hair is suitable for perming... in fact a lot of fine hair women used to get perms to add more volume to their flat hair! However, no idea what is your definition of 'thick. To some people it can if the individual strands are 'fine' but you have a lot of them... To others it's when the individual strands are coarse 'thick'. I have both: a lot of hair and the individual strands are coarse.

If your hair is very, very long... it may be that it's too long to have all wrapped around the rods/curlers so the top will be straight... but I prefer that look anyway, and it makes your hair keep some of the length. It may also be a time consuming process compared to normal hair... like everything is for our hair :P But again... I think long hair looks the best with perms... because curls do make your hair look shorter.

There's no reason why long, thick hair won't hold a curl... think taylor swift (though hers is natural). However. it is true some girls naturally curly hair, gets slightly looser (but I mean slightly looser rather than going from curly to straight) as it gets longer because of the weight.. in the same way it looks less 'big' when it's longer. I really wish I could think of celeb with a perm so I could highlight my point :/ I guess even though they are back 'in fashion' with all the different types of heat curling you can't tell!

There are different types of perms though, so maybe the type they do at that particular salon isn't recommended to you for some reason unknownest to me :/ The only reason I know of not getting perm is if your hair isn't in good condition/ it's a bit cruel to perm hair if you dye it too.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest