The Student Room Group

First time car accident

So, I was driving out of town and coming to a traffic light, my mind - as usual - wandered and didn't pay attention to the traffic lights turning red. I tried to slowed down as much as I could (not that I was driving quick, between 30-40mph) but not in time to hit the back bumper of the car in front.

No one was hurt and no major damage to my car (except for the reg plate taking slight damage) and the other car back bumper was slightly bent and the connector they use to add a trailor was slightly damaged.

Exchanged numbers and discussed options. Insurance route and I suggested sorting it privately. Will await what happens but for the picture below how much would it cost to sort privately?

I also don't know what I need to do whichever route we choose I.e. telling insurance if we sort it privately. If I call insurance, do I just tell them what happened in preparation for the other person getting in touch?

Thanks
Original post by Aky786UK
So, I was driving out of town and coming to a traffic light, my mind - as usual - wandered and didn't pay attention to the traffic lights turning red. I tried to slowed down as much as I could (not that I was driving quick, between 30-40mph) but not in time to hit the back bumper of the car in front.

No one was hurt and no major damage to my car (except for the reg plate taking slight damage) and the other car back bumper was slightly bent and the connector they use to add a trailor was slightly damaged.

Exchanged numbers and discussed options. Insurance route and I suggested sorting it privately. Will await what happens but for the picture below how much would it cost to sort privately?

I also don't know what I need to do whichever route we choose I.e. telling insurance if we sort it privately. If I call insurance, do I just tell them what happened in preparation for the other person getting in touch?

Thanks

Your insurer will almost certainly require you to inform them of any accident - even if you or the other party aren't intending to claim. (Check your policy - but I'd be very surprised if it says you don't need to inform them). So just call them up, tell them what happened, and that you won't be making a claim.

When you come to renew your policy (with your current insurer or with a different one), your premium will increase because you are statistically at greater risk of having an accident which will cost them money. (This is the case even if you haven't cost them money on this occasion as you didn't make a claim.)

Note that there's nothing to stop the other party from dishonestly taking some money from you and then claiming against their policy anyway; their insurer will then claim the cost from yours. They're unlikely to do so, as them claiming will increase their premium next year too - even though they weren't at fault. This is for the same reason - statistically speaking, drivers involved in accidents are more likely to be involved in future accidents.
Reply 2
The other guy has a quote for £300 to repair the bumper and tow bar? Is that a going rate would anyone say?

He says he will take the tow bar off and straighten it himself, then he will leave the vehicle with the spray shop for a few days while they straighten and respray the bumper.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Aky786UK
The other guy has a quote for £300 to repair the bumper and tow bar? Is that a going rate would anyone say?

He says he will take the tow bar off and straighten it himself, then he will leave the vehicle with the spray shop for a few days while they straighten and respray the bumper.

Id do it privately in this case.
If it was more damage/something more expensive to repair, then id go through the insurance. But with excesses etc, then i wouldnt bother and would just do it privately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending