The Student Room Group

If you could go back in time and witness 2 events, what would they be?

Scroll to see replies

Anne Boleyn's execution and the nativity
D-day

9/11
Original post by scriggy
Maybe my parents wedding? Think something like that would be quite cool.
That's a good one :smile:
Reply 23
Life of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) & Isa (Jesus)(AS)
Reply 24
The March on Washington where King delivered his speech.

Also I'd like to see if there really is a God and witness Jesus' crucifixion
Reply 25
The Berlin Wall being knocked over

The last day of the millennium (31/12/99) just to see what I was doing a day before my birthday in the new millennium
Reply 26
Number one would be an execution - either in Norwich (where I live) at the castle in Medieval times (would get to see Medieval Norwich too!) or perhaps Guy Fawkes. Not because I want to see an actual execution (I imagine it would be an unpleasant thing to see) but I kind of want to see what it was really like at these kinds of events. It would be pretty cool to hear some old English as well! And I find these links with places, e.g. the castle, which you can still visit now really cool.

Second I am undecided - on the one hand I'd like to witness the moment when a great scientist or mathematician realised their discovery/proof etc was valid (if they had a Eureka type moment) - Newton and the apple (if it happened), Hilbert perfecting his axioms, something like that. On the other hand, I'd like to see the "discovery" of a new place (new to the discoverer). For example when Leif Ericson or Columbus first came to America and met the native people and saw the new place.

I'll probably think of more now...

xxx

EDIT Oh actually... some kind of ancient religious festival would be pretty cool to see. And so would the completion of a book I love like Harry Potter (first or last book) or Wuthering Heights or Alice in Wonderland. Speaking of which I'd love to witness Lewis Carroll telling the original Alice in Wonderland story to the Liddell children. Ohhh, 2 is too hard! Maybe I want to change number one...
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd say

1) Beheading of Charles the I. That century fascinated me in A-level history and I would loved to have witnessed it.

2) The Iranian embassy siege, very recent history but I'm really in to modern military history and that was a key point and one of the first public tasks for the SAS.
Reply 28
Good question.

1. I'd really like to see the pyramids being built, ancient egyptian stuff is really interesting

2. I'd also like to see (Not feel or be there o.o) the extinction event of the dinosaurs, just to see if it was actually a giant asteroid. Would be a let down if it wasn't tbh. xD
My two;

1) To be present at the Resurrection of Jesus

2) The fall of man
Original post by Henry_Tudor
My two;

1) To be present at the Resurrection of Jesus

2) The fall of man

1) That's not history, it's a fairytale.

2) That's not history either, it hasn't happened yet.
Reply 31
1. VE day
2. Apollo 11 landing.
Original post by Scorlibran
1) That's not history, it's a fairytale.

2) That's not history either, it hasn't happened yet.

1) That's a bit disrespectful, you can't prove it didn't happen in the same way that he can't prove it did.

2) I think he meant the Fall as in Adam and Eve... You would know that if you'd paid attention during RE.
Original post by AttackofTheBoris
1) That's a bit disrespectful, you can't prove it didn't happen in the same way that he can't prove it did.

2) I think he meant the Fall as in Adam and Eve... You would know that if you'd paid attention during RE.

I wouldn't say it's disrespectful to disagree with his opinion. I'd agree with you that we can't prove it, but I'd say the fact that nobody has been brought back from the dead in modern history, highly suggests that it didn't happen. The only "evidence" for it happening is a story written in a book. A book which also states that the human race was started by two people alone, and that two of all of the world's animals at the time managed to fit on a single boat for 40 days. It really makes me question the validity of these claims.

I did pay attention in religious education, which allowed me to ponder a few things, such as: if Adam and Eve were the only humans on Earth and they only had sons, well those sons must have really liked their mum to continue the human race.
Those are good ones. I was thinking either the crucifixion or the nativity, but couldn't think of a second one. The asteroid sounds pretty cool to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't believe no one has said this.

I would go all the way back to the start of time and see how the universe emerged.
Reply 36
Original post by AttackofTheBoris

Get a grip mate. It didn't happen. We're talking history here.
Reply 37
1) I'd like to go to a day where Afghanistan was peaceful.. if that has ever happened.
2) Dinosaur days :biggrin:
Reply 38
1) the signing of the treaty of versailles, and the reaction of hitler to the news
2) the battle of stirling bridge. I just want to know exactly where it happened.
Original post by Jjj90
Get a grip mate. It didn't happen. We're talking history here.

Give me historical proof that it didn't happen. Show it to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending