The Student Room Group

Car insurance issues

Hi, I’m looking for a bit of advice. I passed my test in 2021 and have had 0 incidents until recently. However, in May this year I was backing out of a car parking space and someone else pulled out into the back of my car. Absolutely nothing happened, they had a tiny ding (think phone-sized) in the side of their car and I’m missing a tiny bit of paint, nobody was hurt, and I completely panicked and forgot to get their details but gave them all of mine. They called my insurance company and put a claim in, and because of the areas affected (back of my car, side of theirs) and the fact that I don’t have a dashcam or anything, it’s taken my no claims discount back to nothing since I couldn’t prove it wasn’t my fault (it genuinely wasn’t, I had myself and two mates looking out the back and sides to make sure there was nobody there and they rocketed forward out of the space next to me).

Unfortunately, I’m 21 and still considered a young driver. What with having to mention the incident on new insurance quotes, my insurance is looking like it might go from ~£70/month with Hastings to almost £250/month at the cheapest I’ve seen, which is completely unaffordable. Black boxes aren’t an option because I work nights outside of uni, and the insane quote is with my mum as an added driver. Getting rid of my car is not an option, again because of the night shifts and also I have to travel to/from my dissertation site next year.
Does anyone have any advice? I’m completely ******** it because it renews at the end of July so my paycheck’s gonna be like £400 and I don’t even have student finance to help me out til October :,)

(Important question; given that there was no payout and no cost or anything, I lost my no claims discount but do I *have* to mention it when looking for new quotes?)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by aurulentAquarian
Hi, I’m looking for a bit of advice. I passed my test in 2021 and have had 0 incidents until recently. However, in May this year I was backing out of a car parking space and someone else pulled out into the back of my car. Absolutely nothing happened, they had a tiny ding (think phone-sized) in the side of their car and I’m missing a tiny bit of paint, nobody was hurt, and I completely panicked and forgot to get their details but gave them all of mine. They called my insurance company and put a claim in, and because of the areas affected (back of my car, side of theirs) and the fact that I don’t have a dashcam or anything, it’s taken my no claims discount back to nothing since I couldn’t prove it wasn’t my fault (it genuinely wasn’t, I had myself and two mates looking out the back and sides to make sure there was nobody there and they rocketed forward out of the space next to me).

Unfortunately, I’m 21 and still considered a young driver. What with having to mention the incident on new insurance quotes, my insurance is looking like it might go from ~£70/month with Hastings to almost £250/month at the cheapest I’ve seen, which is completely unaffordable. Black boxes aren’t an option because I work nights outside of uni, and the insane quote is with my mum as an added driver. Getting rid of my car is not an option, again because of the night shifts and also I have to travel to/from my dissertation site next year.
Does anyone have any advice? I’m completely ******** it because it renews at the end of July so my paycheck’s gonna be like £400 and I don’t even have student finance to help me out til October :,)

(Important question; given that there was no payout and no cost or anything, I lost my no claims discount but do I *have* to mention it when looking for new quotes?)

Have you been through this
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/young-drivers/

It looks like you have listed your options. Perhaps your current job is not viable. Surely there must be a job near a university that doesn't require you to drive? Most at uni don't have a car and work and get by. I think a bit of flexibility and outside the box thinking wouldn't go amiss.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by aurulentAquarian
do I *have* to mention it when looking for new quotes?)

Yep
Reply 3
If you haven’t had a go at it, I would try challenging that it was your fault. Mind you it’s likely the best you’ll get is shared liability which still affects ncb. Then go and see an insurance broker, I have found A Plan very good, and see what they can do to advise and help you. And yes you certainly need to mention the accident, not to do so will invalidate your insurance. Seeing if you can avoid a car as a student is also a good idea, public transport, lifts and taxis can save money
Reply 4
Its a long shot but with it being a car park check if there is any overhead cctv? - You might find big security companies or even local councils keep it for either 14 days or 28 days. You will need to act quickly if it looks like there maybe some? (you may be too late on that too) Make immediate contact with the time & date of the event you are searching for and you could be lucky.

You are acting too late to be able to mount an adequate defence. You could try and put an advert up on the car park asking for any witnesses or ask on face book. Most peoples dash cam will be rewritten over.

Next time stop - Pictures all round immediately of any damage, location & the cars post collision (obviously check its safe if you are in the road) and get reg numbers of cars before they drive away as potential witnesses and anyone else who was there. Get name, address, cars, colours, damage contact details of drivers etc

Yes is the answer you do need to state you have had a collision when you get quotes & take out insurance. If you don't (& all insurers share info) you could be refused insurance for failing to declare material information. Your 'risk' rating will show as 'untrustworthy' or 'questionable'.

Get a front and rear dash cam in your next car (or e scooter) and rely on your own judgement not on your 'mates' - Car parks are hell on earth for claims and you need eyes in the back of your head, speed no more than 5mph.
Original post by Muttly
Its a long shot but with it being a car park check if there is any overhead cctv? - You might find big security companies or even local councils keep it for either 14 days or 28 days. You will need to act quickly if it looks like there maybe some? (you may be too late on that too) Make immediate contact with the time & date of the event you are searching for and you could be lucky.

You are acting too late to be able to mount an adequate defence. You could try and put an advert up on the car park asking for any witnesses or ask on face book. Most peoples dash cam will be rewritten over.

Next time stop - Pictures all round immediately of any damage, location & the cars post collision (obviously check its safe if you are in the road) and get reg numbers of cars before they drive away as potential witnesses and anyone else who was there. Get name, address, cars, colours, damage contact details of drivers etc

Yes is the answer you do need to state you have had a collision when you get quotes & take out insurance. If you don't (& all insurers share info) you could be refused insurance for failing to declare material information. Your 'risk' rating will show as 'untrustworthy' or 'questionable'.

Get a front and rear dash cam in your next car (or e scooter) and rely on your own judgement not on your 'mates' - Car parks are hell on earth for claims and you need eyes in the back of your head, speed no more than 5mph.

I agree.
Next years insurance wise, try a broker to see what they can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending