The Student Room Group

Got into a fist fight at the library. Potentially in trouble

Hi,

I went to the library to do some studying for my first year of uni exams.

I ordered a pizza to the library and continued studying. So as I was eating my first slice, this girl walks past and accidently knocks over the box of pizza and it falls onto the ground.

She just laughed and sat at her table so I went over and said excuse me, you didnt even say sorry or offer to buy me a new one..

She then just looked at me and her boyfriend told me to back off. I told him to watch his tone and that his girlfriend is acting like a ****. He stood up and shoved me, so I lost it.

I rugby tackled him to the floor and we were having a proper punch up until we got broken up by staff.

Ive been called in for a meeting and am worried I will get kicked off my course. I dont think I did anything wrong. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I ordered a pizza to the library and continued studying. So as I was eating my first slice, this girl walks past and accidently knocks over the box of pizza and it falls onto the ground.

She just laughed and sat at her table so I went over and said excuse me, you didnt even say sorry or offer to buy me a new one..

She then just looked at me and her boyfriend told me to back off. I told him to watch his tone and that his girlfriend is acting like a ****. He stood up and shoved me, so I lost it.

I rugby tackled him to the floor and we were having a proper punch up until we got broken up by staff.

Ive been called in for a meeting and am worried I will get kicked off my course. I dont think I did anything wrong. Any advice?

In any brawl, somebody starts it and somebody carries it on. You are in a difficult position, it could be argued that you approached this couple aggressively and he shoved you as he felt threatened by your behavior (I expect that will be version of the event anyway). On the other hand he was the first person to lay a hand on you, but would rugby tackling him to the ground be considered a reasonable response to what he did to you? Are there any witnesses to the incident, or is there CCTV in the library that would help or hinder your case? I think that you need to go away and take a long hard think about the incident and if your actions were reasonable, or if you over-reacted or was it them that over-reacted? If you consider that your initial reaction was wrong and that the situation just quickly got out of hand unexpectedly then your best bet is to try and make amends before the meeting, write a letter of apology for your actions to the university explaining that it was a spontaneous action and that you are very sorry - bring that to the meeting or hand it in beforehand. Go to the library and apologise to the staff that witnessed the event as they were probably left a bit shocked by it all. By the time you get into that meeting you want to be able to demonstrate that you genuinely regret what you did, perhaps even ashamed of yourself and that it will not happen again. If on the other hand you think that you did the right thing, then you need to hope that everyone else that saw it agrees with you. Getting kicked off your course for assaulting another student is a very real possibility, so set aside your anger and take the time to properly reflect on what happened.
Hi,

You’re an adult and you allowed a basic confrontation to escalate to a punch up.

Considering you were in a library to begin with and you had better things to do, going on the offensive was the wrong decision and insulting the girl who knocked your pizza over was unnecessary. You’re not in secondary school anymore. You have to learn how to deal with high-tension situations in a calm and controlled manner, even if you feel a certain way about them.

If you had remained respectful throughout but he decided to shove you anyway, that would be a different scenario to what actually took place. You could say that he “started it”, but in reality, you were provocative. What I would do is enter the meeting with a mature and thoughtful outlook on the situation as a whole to explain why this won’t happen again.

Why should the other visitors have been subjected to that behaviour? Why should the staff have had to break you up when they have other responsibilities? These are questions you need to consider and account for in that meeting. Hopefully, you can learn a valuable lesson from this.
What kind of library allows students to order pizza to it, much less eat it in the library?
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
What kind of library allows students to order pizza to it, much less eat it in the library?

i'm glad it was not just me who thought this :shakecane:
Any advice?

Write more convincing fiction. As soon as you talk of ordering food to a library it's obvious you are telling tall tales.
Next time make sure to get stuffed crust, the extra weight will ensure the pizza doesnt fall
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger

Good job they didn't send the wrong topping, or the OP would really have gone off on one!
Reply 8
You were within your rights to confront them after they knocked your pizza over and didn't apologise. Remember that he shoved you first. If someone lays their hands on you, you are within your rights to defend yourself.

I would contact my lawyers in your situation and let them attend the misconduct hearing in place of you. I'm sure your lawyers will have something to say about the situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending