The Student Room Group

The Cambridge 2014 Results Day Discussion Thread [offer holders]

Scroll to see replies

Just got an offer from Wolfson for Philosophy! Literally ran out of the room shouting "I GOT IN" when I saw the email.

Anyone else from Wolfson here?
Woopie!! It's really hard to believe we got so lucky right?! Although I have a conditional offer, I'm gonna work my butt off and pray really hard so that I meet the conditions:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 582
Original post by cherrypiez
Thanks! But did you have any other things that might help to secure your place or do you know what else they look for in applicants like DofE?

They don't look at DofE or other extracurriculars at all unless they relate to your subject (which DofE won't). For example, medical work experience is great if you're applying for that field, but irrelevant for other subjects. Their main focus is good GCSEs (not necessarily all A*/A) and good AS levels (around 90%, though you may still be in with a chance if lower, depending on the competitiveness of your subject). They also look at you as an individual, and want to know that you're passionate about your subject. I got no A*s at GCSE and an 86% UMS average, but I still got an offer for English and I'm positive that's primarily down to how I came across at interview. Just get good grades and have something to say and you're in with a shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 583
Original post by ddeeccllann
Which college/course?

Homerton, Phys NatSci.
Reply 584
ok so has anyone been asked to write to their college to accept the offer??

and do I just have to say I accept it :s-smilie:
Reply 585
Original post by holly432
ok so has anyone been asked to write to their college to accept the offer??

and do I just have to say I accept it :s-smilie:

Yup; I just emailed the admissions office stating I was happy to accept the offer, how I looked forward to being a student there, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Original post by emilyb96
My letter says 'I would be grateful if you could write to me soon to inform me of your decision'. Should I write to say that I'm planning on taking the offer? Or should I just say on UCAS? What are other people doing?

I'm medicine at Newnham!!!!

haha my letter said the same thing, I'm just writing it now to be posted first thing tomorrow :smile: and sending a copy in email
Reply 587
Original post by dlaiden
Yup; I just emailed the admissions office stating I was happy to accept the offer, how I looked forward to being a student there, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you!

it wasn't particularly long was it? :colondollar:
Reply 588
Original post by holly432
thank you!

it wasn't particularly long was it? :colondollar:

Haha, no. Just two sentences really, roughly 'I'll be accepting this offer,' and 'I'll be Firming it too, thanks.' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any current students on here (I know there are a couple!) I was wondering what it's like with friends/partners from other colleges? My boyfriend and I both got offers to different colleges and are hoping to continue dating - does anyone have any experience with this/know how easy it is to date people in another college?
Reply 590
Original post by TheBigGeek
Any current students on here (I know there are a couple!) I was wondering what it's like with friends/partners from other colleges? My boyfriend and I both got offers to different colleges and are hoping to continue dating - does anyone have any experience with this/know how easy it is to date people in another college?

Not a current student, or someone with experience! :tongue:

Even so, what problems could you have? I would imagine that the majority of couples at Cambridge wouldn't be at the same college anyway - some are really small, so the odds suggest you'd be more likely to be going out with someone elsewhere - and it's not as if there's rules blocking anything! :dontknow:
Reply 591
And... Firmed Cambridge!
Original post by Ceryni
Not a current student, or someone with experience! :tongue:

Even so, what problems could you have? I would imagine that the majority of couples at Cambridge wouldn't be at the same college anyway - some are really small, so the odds suggest you'd be more likely to be going out with someone elsewhere - and it's not as if there's rules blocking anything! :dontknow:

I just wonder if we'd ever get to eat together or anything! Can you (occasionally) bring friends to your college for dinner, do you think?
I just wonder if we'd ever get to eat together or anything! Can you (occasionally) bring friends to your college for dinner, do you think?

Probably. I know for sure that people from other colleges can come along to formal hall if they book in advance.
Reply 594
Medicine at St Edmund, anyone else applied here?
Guys! When's the deadline to reply to their offer?? And if you accept it once, can you back out later, like within march?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dlaiden
They don't look at DofE or other extracurriculars at all unless they relate to your subject (which DofE won't). For example, medical work experience is great if you're applying for that field, but irrelevant for other subjects. Their main focus is good GCSEs (not necessarily all A*/A) and good AS levels (around 90%, though you may still be in with a chance if lower, depending on the competitiveness of your subject). They also look at you as an individual, and want to know that you're passionate about your subject. I got no A*s at GCSE and an 86% UMS average, but I still got an offer for English and I'm positive that's primarily down to how I came across at interview. Just get good grades and have something to say and you're in with a shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for so much information!
Reply 597

You can invite friends to your college for formals! As for normal meals, I'm not as sure; I know some colleges allow you to pay with cash, so you'd be able to go there. Which colleges do you guys have offers to?

Honestly though, I'd imagine you wouldn't have any problem irl :tongue:
Reply 598
Original post by RoseMacarons
Guys! When's the deadline to reply to their offer?? And if you accept it once, can you back out later, like within march?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the bottom of this page

Why would you back out?
Original post by alow
Look at the bottom of this page

Why would you back out?

In case I get an offer from a better uni and I'm supposed to be notified within March:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending