The Student Room Group

safe place in Manchester

:confused: I'm looking for accomodation in Manchester and wondering where the areas i should avoid are (rough areas) so i don't end up in some crime infested craphole with a load of scallies (like the area i'm living in at the moment)

Which is the safest area to live in? I've heard that Fallowfield and Victoria are alrite. I know nothing about Manchester (only been 2 times) and i am coming from Doncaster. Manchester just seems bloody huge!
Reply 1
Victoria Park is one of the rougher parts of Manchester. Fallowfield also has a high crime rate due to a massive amount of students but the chance of becoming a victim is very slim if you use common sense.

The safest areas to live in are probably Didsbury and Chorlton but you don't really want to live in these areas in your first year. These are more for graduates and post grads.
Reply 2
Avoid Moss Side and Longsight as a rule.

Victoria Park isn't that bad in my opinion, although it isn't the safest place either but like AT82, it's safe enough if you use your common sense, equally if you don't the safest places in manchester could be a hell hole so be aware of your surroundings.

Where in Doncaster you from?
Any part of the inner city is rough, eg, longsight, levenshulme, mosside, rusholme, moston, etc etc.

A lot of the students flock to fallowfield and didsbury, theres a bus to town every 30 seconds or so, so its not a problem. the houses there are fairly cheap rent wise too! (in fallowfield just be aware of the w*nking man on granville road!).

If you want halls the student village is near oxford road ish and a lot of it is new. theres a lack of parking there if you have a car, but there is a nandos next door (so good food!!)

xx
Reply 4
I would rather live in Moss Side than Victoria Park and living in the city 24 years I probably know better than most here. Moss Side/Hulme is not half as rough as its made out to be. Rushulme is very mixed, Victoria Park is in Rushulme. Moston is quite rough but not as bad as Clayton, Beswick, Harperhay, Openshaw etc. Levenshulme is not that bad at all these days. Longsight is as rough as ever but I know somebody who lives there that hasn't had any problems. I think the problem with Longsight is it offers very little for students.
Reply 5
AT82 - Seein as you've lived here so long (That wasn't meant to sound patronising or abusive but I don't know how to write it I am sorry) I have a friend who is comin to stay with me for a job interview in Ashton-Upon-Lyne tomorrow.

He would prefer city centre living and is looking at flats in Hulme and Levenshulme...he has also looked in Didsbury but would prefer not to travel that much - that's kind of his last resort. Just so you know he has found places within his price range in the above areas.

So question is, is Hulme and Levenshulme ok? Is there anywhere there he should avoid and is there anywhere nice around ashton-upon-lyne?

Cheers, much appreciated x
Reply 6
tigger1430
AT82 - Seein as you've lived here so long (That wasn't meant to sound patronising or abusive but I don't know how to write it I am sorry) I have a friend who is comin to stay with me for a job interview in Ashton-Upon-Lyne tomorrow.

He would prefer city centre living and is looking at flats in Hulme and Levenshulme...he has also looked in Didsbury but would prefer not to travel that much - that's kind of his last resort. Just so you know he has found places within his price range in the above areas.

So question is, is Hulme and Levenshulme ok? Is there anywhere there he should avoid and is there anywhere nice around ashton-upon-lyne?

Cheers, much appreciated x

Afew places in ashton are quite nice but at the same time it isnt exactly your thriving city centre, it can be fairly rough, especially at night time on the weekends, with the crappiest and most scum infested nightclubs (if you can call them nightclubs) on the face of the earth. The most dodgy areas are some of the housing estates, which, particularly at night are rough as ars*holes. I would advise your friend, that whilst ashton is an 'ok' area, i would in my opinion rather jump on the 216 from the bus station and head to manchester city centre for my shoppin and day out.

P.S. i dont mean to scare everyone coming to manchester in september, the majority of the city is great and it really is a fantastic city to spend your university years in, or im my case, your life :wink:
Reply 7
Levenshulme is even further out than Didsbury.

In Hulme you want to be looking at the Greenhays Road area, all the new flats and houses by ASDA are basicaly sound, they are mostly private so there is little trouble.

Avoid the Chester Road part of Hulme.
Reply 8
Cheers mi dear, he is comin over in 2 hours and i'll tell him what you said.
Reply 9
It will be obvious where this 'nice' part of Hulme is because it is all new, there is few scallies on bikes etc. In the rough part of Hulme it feels rough.
Reply 10
I live in Hulme and its ok, where in doncaster you from?

I used to live towards epworth/armthorpe/bawtry direction!
SexyKe
I live in Hulme and its ok, where in doncaster you from?

I used to live towards epworth/armthorpe/bawtry direction!

I live in Bentley at the moment. Full of chavs and scum. I live at the northside near where the pit used to be, which is way worse than the southside of Bentley (which is what we call west end).

I advise no-one to walk around Bentley at night, especially to town over North Bridge.
What map are you using? Levenshulme is closer to the city centre than Didsbury. One side of Levenshulme is a great place to live with a mix of families and students. The other side of Stockport Rd is a dump
Reply 13
Levenshulme is so much closer to town what are you on about 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending