The Student Room Group

Applying for University with Dyscalculia

My daughter has applied for university this year. She has dyscalculia and therefore does not have a C in GCSE maths. Although this disability has been put on her UCAS form one of the universities has come back to her stating that she will need to do her GCSE or equivalent again to get a C, which she won't get. Her predicted grades give her the points she will need. What can I do about this. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by jacquio90
My daughter has applied for university this year. She has dyscalculia and therefore does not have a C in GCSE maths. Although this disability has been put on her UCAS form one of the universities has come back to her stating that she will need to do her GCSE or equivalent again to get a C, which she won't get. Her predicted grades give her the points she will need. What can I do about this. Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunatley there are two issues:
1) Dyscalculia isn't that well known a disability, its possible the university didn't understand what it was and how it links to her lack of C in Maths GCSE.
2) Some universities will insist on a C at GCSE as part of their standard entry requirements.

Your best bet is to email the university in question explaining that the C is unobtainable and see what they say.
Hello,

I'm a current student at UWTSD Lampeter, and we have fantastic student support. A friend of mine did History here with dyscalculia, and was given things to help him with that, such as extended library loans, extra time in exams and up to two hours a week with a specifically assigned mentor. It is optional to use these resources so she would not be pressured into using them if she wished not to. I myself have dyspraxia and depression, and can commend the student support staff. What course is your daughter interested in? She would be more than welcome at our university, and if you would like to ask me any questions about the courses and application process here, let me know.

I did a degree in electronics with discalcula it is quite a mathematical course I assume like me she understands the concepts but gets the numbers in the wrong sequence I can't really help with getting in but just to let you know the support at uni is superb so once she gets in you won't need to worry too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depending on the university, it can be flexible: all the good universities do have C or above in Maths or English, and if it's a central "rule" there's not much can be done. However, if she picks one of the universities with good reputations for student support (often the newer universities - the old polys) and isn't doing any kind of science or finance, they can often extend their discretion.

Well worth asking your daughter to ask advice from the school too, as this is unlikely to be the first time it's come up for them.
could you tell me how you got on. My daughter has dyscalculia, although never formally diagnosed I'm sure she does and we are looking in to a diagnosis. She gained a D grade at GCSE with years of private tuition. She is in the second year of a foundation degree in media, she was offered the place by mistake as she applied for the BTEC and the tutour felt she was over qualified for this having got 3 A levels, he did not notice the D grade Maths on her application. Because it was their mistake they offered the place on the condition that she study and pass functional maths level 2. She has sat the exam numerous times now and can't pass it. The tutour keeps threatening her with having to give up her media course even though she has now paid tuition fees of £12,000 and passed the first year of her degree with no problem, they are saying that there is no point in carrying on as even if she passes the media she can't be awarded the degree if she doesn't have the maths. Talk about throwing our young people on the scrap heap. Have you had any success with your uni application?
Original post by rachel stewart
she can't be awarded the degree if she doesn't have the maths.

This cannot be right. They can throw her out for for not meeting the condition on which they have admitted her; but having a prior qualification will not be a requirement of the degree regulations.

However, is she actually studying at the university or at a partner college? If the latter, she may only be formally admitted as a member of the university just before she graduates and she may not meet the university's matriculation requirement to do that.

Time to pay for a really good private tutor methinks.
You could threaten them with legal action (Buff it) as they are breaking the law. I had this rubbish too. I gave up on uni in the end. However, what they are doing is illegal. Somebody should make them accountable. To be honest it is just has bad as when women were not allowed to vote. The effect on our lives is so damaging. It makes me so angry. Your daughter could do free university and only pay for the exams. The Universality of the People is highly respected. It is an American online university and the students are global. There is something very positive about the American education system. It is hard but I think it is better suited for people with dyslexia.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending