The Student Room Group

Retail jobs where you don't have to work at the till.

I live in North London and need a part-time job to support my (full-time) studies. I've considered retail but there's the fact that I'm terrible at counting money (I think I have dyscalculia). Are there stores that hire for such a thing?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by KemyAndrews
I live in North London and need a part-time job to support my (full-time) studies. I've considered retail but there's the fact that I'm terrible at counting money (I think I have dyscalculia). Are there stores that hire for such a thing?

Majority of retailers will give there staff checkout training just incase they are required to jump on the checkouts at short notice in busy times. You may never be on the checkouts so I wouldn't worry about anything. You will be fine counting money as the tills will give you exact amount of charge for customers if paying by cash as most now use there Bank card.

When you apply for retail jobs just make sure you are applying for positions for filling up the shelves or fridges and freezers and if you are offered the opportunity to do checkout training then you could say sorry I don't wish to do this as happy doing what I am doing.

Good luck with applying.
Reply 2
I reckon there are lots of supermarket roles that don’t involve tills, which are anyway in decline, and you could go after shelf stacking, order picking, supervising self service etc. You could also also look in to agency work, I did a variety of things like drivers mate, order picking and tidying up in a fancy goods factory
Original post by Zarek
I reckon there are lots of supermarket roles that don’t involve tills, which are anyway in decline, and you could go after shelf stacking, order picking, supervising self service etc. You could also also look in to agency work, I did a variety of things like drivers mate, order picking and tidying up in a fancy goods factory

Unfortunately self service checkout requires you to still work the machines when customers require help with things....... if you ever noticed that when you are in supermarkets.
Reply 4
Original post by Littleemma98
Unfortunately self service checkout requires you to still work the machines when customers require help with things....... if you ever noticed that when you are in supermarkets.

Yes, and it doesn’t require counting money
Original post by KemyAndrews

There will still be quite a few roles that dont include being on tills, such as shelf stacking, the .com shoppers etc. Its just a case of looking out for them.
Being on tills isnt that bad. The tills usually tell you how much change to give.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending