The Student Room Group

What could these 2 lumps on my tongue be?

I have 2 little lumps on my tongue both on the right side on the ridge at the side of my tongue. They aren't any bigger than a few mm. They feel bigger some days than others. One day they feel really soft and small the next they feel harder and a bit bigger. I got the first after biting my tongue a month ago and had an ulcer where it was but the ulcer has healed. I noticed a few days ago I now have another lump abouy 1cm away from the first lump and its not painful and when I stick my tongue out flat or press on the lumps, they pretty much disappear. There is a little white bit on the second lump like a little whitehead that was yellow a few days ago. They have never bled and the first was only painful when I had that ulcer.

I'm a worry wart so I'm convinced its something terrible like tongue cancer...no thanks to Google! I have an appointment with my GP on Tuesday, just thought I would see if any of you guys had an idea on what they could be.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I have taken pics on my tongue and there is nothing to see, the lumps aren't visible. My tongue isn't inflamed or anything either.
I was going to say tongue cancer but then you beat me to it....
Its probably either a tongue spot, or a little scar from biting it.
Reply 4
Surely if it were cancer though I would just have the one big lump rather than 2 small ones near each other? Hopefully they are just from biting. The second lump can't have been there for long because the last time I checked my tongue was xmas day and the first lump was pretty much gone but now its back and feels a tiny bit bigger and now I have the second lump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
My dad went to the docs with something similar having convinced himself it was cancer ... it was actually inflamed taste buds. The lumps he had used to change shape and texture all the time, like yours. It was a while ago now so I can't remember what the doctor did about it.

Enlarged papillae (taste buds) are in this video: http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/video/body-check/body-check-tongue/
Reply 6
I get similar symptoms when I burn or bite my tongue. Would use mouthwash and brush well (including brushing your tongue) and see what happens. You're not in pain, as you said. Mouth cancer would be painful.
Reply 7
Thanks guys. Yeah I've been brushing/using mouthwash 4 times a day since I found the latest lump. I suppose the gap between the lumps is roughly the same distance from the tip of my canine tooth to the tip of my tooth behind it. I just didn't think lumps resulting from bites would last this long because I first bit my tongue over a month ago and dont recall biting it recently so dunno where the new lump came from.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by rachel.h
My dad went to the docs with something similar having convinced himself it was cancer ... it was actually inflamed taste buds. The lumps he had used to change shape and texture all the time, like yours. It was a while ago now so I can't remember what the doctor did about it.

Enlarged papillae (taste buds) are in this video: http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/video/body-check/body-check-tongue/

How long did your dad's enlarged papillae last for? I thought maybe that is what it was but one of my lumps have lasted over a month and online it says enlarged papillae only last a week or 2 and are usually painful. None of my lumps are painful. Were your dad's painful?
googling is the worst thing you can do! i've diagnosed myself with countless conditions on there, only to be told by my doctor that its nothing!

like you said, the fact that your first stop went down and your ulcer healed, is a good sign. i'm pretty sure if it were something bad, the ulcer wouldn't heal. the lumps are probably from trauma or maybe just an infection. when i bite my tongue i get a lump sometimes too but the lump usually goes away in a day or 2.
Reply 10
Original post by dancingpanda
googling is the worst thing you can do! i've diagnosed myself with countless conditions on there, only to be told by my doctor that its nothing!

like you said, the fact that your first stop went down and your ulcer healed, is a good sign. i'm pretty sure if it were something bad, the ulcer wouldn't heal. the lumps are probably from trauma or maybe just an infection. when i bite my tongue i get a lump sometimes too but the lump usually goes away in a day or 2.

I should be banned from the internet when I think there is something wrong with me! There could be a million simple, harmless things that could be wrong with me but as long as I know there is a chance of one bad thing such as cancer, my mind sets on that. Doesn't help I suffer from anxiety which makes it even worse.

Yeah you're right its a good sign my ulcer healed. I've never had lumps in my mouth before though, that's why I'm worried especially because the first one never went away fully and now I have another.

Ah well I'm going to the docs next week so hopefully that'll put my mind to rest :smile:
Original post by Yasmin25
I should be banned from the internet when I think there is something wrong with me! There could be a million simple, harmless things that could be wrong with me but as long as I know there is a chance of one bad thing such as cancer, my mind sets on that. Doesn't help I suffer from anxiety which makes it even worse.

Yeah you're right its a good sign my ulcer healed. I've never had lumps in my mouth before though, that's why I'm worried especially because the first one never went away fully and now I have another.

Ah well I'm going to the docs next week so hopefully that'll put my mind to rest :smile:

i know its easier said than done but try and not worry. from what i have read, tongue cancer usually starts off as an ulcer that doesn't heal.

my friend once had a massive lump on his tongue, was a lot bigger than a pea and you could see it as soon as he opened his mouth and he was convinced it was cancer because he was a heavy smoker and he drank now and again and it turned out to be benign :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by dancingpanda
i know its easier said than done but try and not worry. from what i have read, tongue cancer usually starts off as an ulcer that doesn't heal.

my friend once had a massive lump on his tongue, was a lot bigger than a pea and you could see it as soon as he opened his mouth and he was convinced it was cancer because he was a heavy smoker and he drank now and again and it turned out to be benign :smile:

That's good your friend's lump wasn't cancerous :smile:
I'm hoping its just scar tissue or something. Just wish my doc's appt would hurry up. I worry when I wait :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Yasmin25
How long did your dad's enlarged papillae last for? I thought maybe that is what it was but one of my lumps have lasted over a month and online it says enlarged papillae only last a week or 2 and are usually painful. None of my lumps are painful. Were your dad's painful?

Not sure ... I think he had them for a while before he actually said anything.

See what your doctor says :h:
Reply 14
My appointment is tomorrow so I'll see what the doc suggests. Maybe he'll order a blood test while they wait for a referral to the ENT clinic. How long do you usually have to wait for an appointment with ENT if you have a lump?
Reply 15
Just out of the docs. She felt around while wearing her gloves and looked at my tongue twice and she said its just scar tissue. I showed her a pic of the gigantic ulcer I had last month and she said it was no surprise I have scaring and has offered me steriod medication for the next time I get any ulcers.

She said she was 100% positive it was nothing to worry about and she used to treat oral cancer patients and its deffo not that.

I was expecting her to check my glands and look under my tongue but nah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest