The Student Room Group

please read! help needed by 14th JUNE!!

hey guys,

so im currently in yr11, starting a levels next year.
one of the schools i applied to require a 4th a level in the first year, which you can drop in the second year. i chose bio, chem, maths and psych as a 4th. however, im now doubting it bc psych is quite content heavy and i want to focus on my main 3 as theyre also difficult. im also not sure if i want to continue it on next year. however psych does interest me a lot as a subject, and id want to learn more abt it, it also offers me an alternative uni route to go down.
alternatively, i want to choose turkish a-level (my mother tongue), which would allow me to focus more on the main 3, but im worried that unis wont regard it as it is my mother tongue.

help?? which should i choose?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
I guess one option you could consider is taking bio, chem and maths and then doing an epq to do with pyschology? That way you could explore your interest in the subject without having to suffer from all the content? Or you could not do the epq and just spend a lot of time doing psychology supracurriculars. The thing is with doing 4 a levels including psychology and bio is that it's a lot of content and work. The A level workload is intense even for the brightest students. I'm pretty sure doing psychology A level isn't even compulsory to do the degree, so bio chem maths would allow you to keep options open whilst also not taking on too much work to compromise your results.

Edit: I just realised I missed the bit where you said taking a 4th for year 12 is compulsory. To be honest, you could be alright with doing psychology just for one year. Is there a way to switch once September starts? Maybe try it out for a bit and if it isn't working, switch to Turkish.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
you're right about turkish - they probably will not have it as part of your offer as ofc its your mother tongue however since its a fourth a-level, it wouldn't have formed part of your offer anyways. if you do psych, if circumstances become more difficult, im sure if you had a chat with teachers, they'd be willing to let you drop it early

i'd say do turkish. if your gunna drop it, it would make sense to make it as easy as possible for yourself as the subejcts you've chosen are already v content heavy
(edited 10 months ago)
yeah id say do turkish too. if youre gonna drop the 4th a level anyway no point doing something difficult

Quick Reply

Latest