The Student Room Group

Another reasonable response to an everyday irritation by an American

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steevee
You're right, there are perhaps....dozens such incidents a year. In a nation where there are tens of millions of gun owners.

One school shooting is one school shooting too many.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I'll take your point about defending your house, but don't you think it would cause a lot less trouble to have better security measures in place instead of risking killing someone?

So it's not worth trying to limit the amount of deadly weapons people have access to, because they could just grab a knife anyway?

In all honesty the link between gun crime and gun availability is actually very tenuous (I suspect you're thinking of googling the rates of gun crime in the US and the UK and smugly posting them) but in actual fact in the US middle class districts where registered gun ownership is very high and pretty much erryone is packing tend to have low gun crime and in fact low crime generally. On the other hand the areas where legal ownership is very low the murder rates are very high, it's probably due to social factors, so why ban guns? It makes more sense to ban being poor if you really care about the gun crime rate-obviously I'm being facetious with that last remark, but there really is no case to ban them.
Original post by Coffinman
Another shooting in a Cinema, why won't they ban those movies to save the people!

They have and you don't. It's nothing to be proud about.

You shouldn't be proud of your 'logic'.
Going to the cinema doesn't kill people.
Shooting them does.
Ban the thing they are shooting people with.
Reply 23
Original post by yepyepyep
One school shooting is one school shooting too many.

One school stabbing is one too many!

It might sound like madness to you, but in a society that values liberty you don't take something away from millions for the criminal actions of a few psychopaths.
Original post by Steevee

It might sound like madness to you, but in a society that values liberty you don't take something away from millions for the criminal actions of a few psychopaths.

No-one can walk into a school and stab most of the people in it, knives are short range weapons. Also, knives have real uses and are unfortunately used for harm by some. Guns have no other use than to hurt others. (Apart from hunting guns, which I do think people should be allowed to own.)
So I don't see why they shouldn't be banned, if a society values liberty so much why would it want its citizens to live in fear of other citizens in the knowledge they possess an object which is only ever intended to harm? Strange kind of freedom.
Reply 25
You shouldn't be proud of your 'logic'. Going to the cinema doesn't kill people. Shooting them does. Ban the thing they are shooting people with.
We should ban the cause of the shootings which are these cinemas and retired police.
We've tried banning guns here and it hasn't helped all it's done is increase the amount of guns in the hands of criminals and dangerous police.
Reply 26
Original post by Steevee

A 'few' psychopaths? Last year in the US, there were probably over 10,000 people killed by guns. That's not including people who committed suicide with guns, and those who survived shootings.

Meanwhile in the UK, where the gun laws are strict, there are about 40-50 murders per year with guns..
(edited 10 years ago)
Guns aren't the problem. In Switzerland every man is required to keep a rifle in his home, and can apply for carry permits. Switzerland has one of the lowest homicide rates in the world.

America has a serious culture problem. I honestly believe the majority of the country are too dumb to be able to own weapons. Nothing we can do though. Banning guns would do nothing as there are too many in circulation.
Reply 28
No-one can walk into a school and stab most of the people in it, knives are short range weapons. Also, knives have real uses and are unfortunately used for harm by some. Guns have no other use than to hurt others. (Apart from hunting guns, which I do think people should be allowed to own.)
So I don't see why they shouldn't be banned, if a society values liberty so much why would it want its citizens to live in fear of other citizens in the knowledge they possess an object which is only ever intended to harm? Strange kind of freedom.

Neither can they walk in a shoot most of the people in it :fyi:

Guns have no other uses than to hurt people? Sport, defense, hunting?

People in the US don't live in fear of being shot by law abiding citizens, I don't know where you're getting that claim from. As I said, the overwhelming majority of those who legally own guns are law abiding citizens. Gun crime is overwhelmingly committed with illegal weapons. In the UK I can buy a sword, a Crossbow, a hunting bow and a vast many more weapons that are intended to cause harm with no sort of license. You fear guns because you are in a society that does not have them, this isn't an objective stance.
'Ermahgerd jst cos 1 guy iss creyZ duzznt mean evry1 should loosee theirr guns u guys r so dumb srsly'

How does this same backwards ass argument hold up after hundreds of deaths?
Reply 30
Original post by eddie1221
A 'few' psychopaths? Last year in the US, there were probably over 10,000 people killed by guns. That's not including people who committed suicide with guns, and those who survived shootings.

Meanwhile in the UK, where the gun laws are strict, there are about 40-50 murders per year with guns..

I'm glad you brought these stats up actually. There were a little under 10,000 gun deaths in the US in 2012. The vast majority of these were committed by criminals with illegal weapons. But shall we dig a little deeper? The murder rate in the US is undoubtedly higher than in the UK, but even a cursory look at the socio-economic factors that motivate such crimes along with the geographical locations and demographics within which these murders happen show us that the two nations are really incomparable on the macro-cosmic scale.

But here's a nice comparison, violent crime is very similar in London and New York. Yes, there is less gun crime, but that doesn't mean there is less violent crime. Remove guns and there would still be multitudes more murders in the US per year than in the UK, it's due to their demographics, cities like Detroit and Chicago that see gangland wars on a daily basis.

So once again, why remove legal firearms from law-abiding citizens on the basis of a few psychopaths and the actions of criminals? Criminals who will still have guns if you remove them from law-abiding citizens.
Reply 31
Original post by Steevee
I'm glad you brought these stats up actually. There were a little under 10,000 gun deaths in the US in 2012. The vast majority of these were committed by criminals with illegal weapons. But shall we dig a little deeper? The murder rate in the US is undoubtedly higher than in the UK, but even a cursory look at the socio-economic factors that motivate such crimes along with the geographical locations and demographics within which these murders happen show us that the two nations are really incomparable on the macro-cosmic scale.

But here's a nice comparison, violent crime is very similar in London and New York. Yes, there is less gun crime, but that doesn't mean there is less violent crime. Remove guns and there would still be multitudes more murders in the US per year than in the UK, it's due to their demographics, cities like Detroit and Chicago that see gangland wars on a daily basis.

So once again, why remove legal firearms from law-abiding citizens on the basis of a few psychopaths and the actions of criminals? Criminals who will still have guns if you remove them from law-abiding citizens.

Sure, there will still be a lot of murders. But what about all the people who are murdered or shot (but not fatally) by non-gang members? Do they all of a sudden not matter? Children are murdered so often in the US, innocent people who have no relation to gangs are murdered very often in the US. Does that not matter, aslong as other people can still buy their guns?

I get that some people use them for hunting, so I think that the law should be slightly different for hunting guns. But the rest should be restricted much, much harsher than they are currently, in my opinion anyway.
Part of a growing trend in the US that public places are generally no longer safe from the ever-present threat of gunfire.

I watched a piece on CNN a few days ago about guns - a retired chap in New York said that he used to take his family up into the forested hills in NY State for picnics when he was in his 30s. That was apparently unthinkable for his son and grandchildren - the area is infested with gun-happy 'hunters' who blast at anything that moves.

The US is the poster boy for how deranged an armed society can get.
Reply 34
From what I've seen, Americans seem quite desensitised to it now. Shootings are just a part of life to them.

Their gun laws are pretty backwards and it sucks that loads of innocent, defenceless people are killed because of some ancient constitution, but that's what they want so they can have it. I have no plans to go to America so I'm not too concerned.
Original post by Steevee

The level of gunfire killings and woundings in the US would immediately and drastically fall if guns were prohibited in private hands. Contrary to your assertion, many gunfire incidents occur in domestic residences between people who know each other. Many involve children. There is also no evidence to support your assertion that the US can be compared to the UK. Deaths per capita due to guns are dramatically higher in the US. The assertion that this is all down to gang culture is implausible. It's far more plausible that gang culture has arisen and responded to the relentless growth of gun ownership, gun use by police forces and gun use in petty crime.

It would be useful if one state in the US (somewhere like New York or Chicago) banned all private gun ownership and had serious campaigns to exclude guns and to remove them from gang ownership. We would then see to what extent the removal of guns influences the US murder rate.
Reply 36
Sure, there will still be a lot of murders. But what about all the people who are murdered or shot (but not fatally) by non-gang members? Do they all of a sudden not matter? Children are murdered so often in the US, innocent people who have no relation to gangs are murdered very often in the US. Does that not matter, aslong as other people can still buy their guns?

I get that some people use them for hunting, so I think that the law should be slightly different for hunting guns. But the rest should be restricted much, much harsher than they are currently, in my opinion anyway.

Once again, you would remove guns from law-abiding citizens for the actions of criminals with illegal guns? Do you think if guns were outlawed tomorrow criminals would hand them in? You'd be in a situation were only criminals have these guns, and the supply would not run out for decades. Of course every victim of gun crime is a victim too many, but that's true of any crime.
Reply 37
Original post by Steevee
Once again, you would remove guns from law-abiding citizens for the actions of criminals with illegal guns? Do you think if guns were outlawed tomorrow criminals would hand them in? You'd be in a situation were only criminals have these guns, and the supply would not run out for decades. Of course every victim of gun crime is a victim too many, but that's true of any crime.

Oh no, I know that it wouldn't work to just ban them straight away. But perhaps a more gradual approach to it? Even though criminals would still have guns, it would still be much more difficult for them to get. Ofcourse many would be able to still, but a few less is still good.

But what is the point of guns, other than for sports/hunting? I don't think defense is really a valid point,there are other ways of defending yourself/your property than shooting somebody.
Reply 38
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The level of gunfire killings and woundings in the US would immediately and drastically fall if guns were prohibited in private hands. Contrary to your assertion, many gunfire incidents occur in domestic residences between people who know each other. Many involve children. There is also no evidence to support your assertion that the US can be compared to the UK. Deaths per capita due to guns are dramatically higher in the US. The assertion that this is all down to gang culture is implausible. It's far more plausible that gang culture has arisen and responded to the relentless growth of gun ownership, gun use by police forces and gun use in petty crime.

It would be useful if one state in the US (somewhere like New York or Chicago) banned all private gun ownership and had serious campaigns to exclude guns and to remove them from gang ownership. We would then see to what extent the removal of guns influences the US murder rate.

You mean the number of accidents involving guns would? Let's be clear, the vast majority of these incidents are not crimes, but accidents. Why not ban cars that can go over 80mph? You'd see an immediate and drastic reduction in vehicular deaths. You've misunderstood me, I quite clearly stated that the US and UK cannot be compared in general in any meaningful sense.

Are you honestly trying to assert that gang culture has arisen in response to firearms? What a strange thing to suggest. I would suggest you look into the history of gangs in the US.
Reply 39
Oh no, I know that it wouldn't work to just ban them straight away. But perhaps a more gradual approach to it? Even though criminals would still have guns, it would still be much more difficult for them to get. Ofcourse many would be able to still, but a few less is still good.

But what is the point of guns, other than for sports/hunting? I don't think defense is really a valid point,there are other ways of defending yourself/your property than shooting somebody.

There are enough guns in the US for criminals to have a steady supply for decades, if they're outlawed in the US they'll simply flow across the border from Mexico.

Does there need to be another point? Sport, Hunting and Defense are three perfectly good reasons to have guns. That's like asking 'What's the point of cars except transport!'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending