The Student Room Group

Whenever I talk, I get a sort of vibration in my right ear?

Anon because I don't want my health problems linking to my account.

Basically, you know that feeling when your ear is blocked or something? Well, whenever I talk, sometimes my right ear gets this weird blocked feeling which sort of makes it harder to hear my own voice and is generally irritating. This makes it harder for me to speak.

I also have another problem where my left nostril is completely blocked due to an accident I had years ago and I'm getting surgery to fix this.

Anyway, I was wondering if these two were linked and if the problem would go away after the surgery. Anyone know anything about this?
Reply 1
ive had that, its probably just that your ear is a bit clogged up, pour some oil in it and it will soften the wax and this will clean it out for you :smile:

they are almost certainly linked, if your ears are popping or something than its generally by blowing your nose that you can pop them back to hearing again, I think its something to do with the sinuses specifically
Reply 2
Original post by SciFiBoy
ive had that, its probably just that your ear is a bit clogged up, pour some oil in it and it will soften the wax and this will clean it out for you :smile:

they are almost certainly linked, if your ears are popping or something than its generally by blowing your nose that you can pop them back to hearing again, I think its something to do with the sinuses specifically

Haha, it's similar to that feeling and I often pop my ears back to normal but this is a different feeling. It's a long-term feeling I've had for a long time now and it only occurs when I'm talking as I don't get the feeling when I'm not talking.
I get this as one of a long list of symptoms stemming from heavy metal intoxication but you may also discover, if you observe your diet very carefully, that certain foods exacerbate the problem.

It's due to fluid in the inner ear, sometimes causing something known as 'hyperacoustics'

Some foods which, in some people, may exacerbate the symptoms you describe include black pepper, dairy foods, oats, yeasty foods etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ThinkingIsAbadHabit
I get this as one of a long list of symptoms stemming from heavy metal intoxication but you may also discover, if you observe your diet very carefully, that certain foods exacerbate the problem.

I mean foods such as black pepper, dairy foods, oats, yeasty foods etc.

Do you know why this is? I get this sometimes after eating, never realised the link..
This particular symptom is not high on my list of priorities, research-wise, as I have more pressing health issues, but I can tell you that I've lived with it for a couple of decades. Black pepper, in particular, leads to my ears 'clogging up' overnight with mucus. Don't take that too literally, but if you've experienced this, you'll know the way in which I mean that, in spite of the somewhat-crude description.

As I understand it, it's to do with an immune-mediated inflammatory response to foods in the gut, to which the immune system has become sensitized. Now, the issue is why does one's immune system become sensitized to certain foods? This is a very complex topic but in my case I now know that heavy metal toxicity is at the root of my numerous immune-related symptoms (mercury suppresses and deranges immune function). Once inflammation arises in the gut, there is a risk that, if it continues longterm, the tissues can become progressively damaged and this deterioration can allow more food particles to pass into the bloodstream incompletely digested, which compounds the immune inflammatory response, in a vicious cycle. I also get 'dry eyes' during sleep time if I've consumed black pepper and I've seen it said that this, too, is an immune response, odd though that might sound to someone from a more conventional medical background.

I'm not saying this is the only possible cause of inner ear issues but it's been my personal experience and one I know is rather common.

It's also worth pointing out that some people who have systemic yeast overgrowth issues ('candidiasis') often report similar symptoms and such yeast/fungal overgrowth does not tend to occur in a healthy human body as the immune system usually keep such things down to negligible levels. Generally, it only proliferates if the immune system has been weakened or suppressed in some way (http://tinyurl.com/3q4reh2). Again, this doesn't mean everyone with inner ear issues has this as the cause, it's just another piece of the puzzle in some cases. This may actually be a red herring, since many people with systemic candida have underlying heavy metal issues, which brings this full circle, as per the link above.

If you have inner ear issues ('blocked ears', so-to-speak) as a chronic condition, whenever you consume certain foods, I'd certainly suggest you at least consider looking into whether you may have immune sensitivities/systemic inflammation relating to certain foods. If you do happen to establish this to be the case, it's worth digging deeper and figuring out why the immune system is behaving in this manner. As I said, such immune responses often begin in the gut, which is counter-intuitive, given it's considerable distance from the ears, but what many people do not realise is that a very significant proportion of the human immune system is associated with the gut and it's associated cells and tissues. If you wish to dig deeper on this topic, a good place to start would be the work of Natasha Campbell-McBride, a former neurologist doing work on gut health in Cambridge. Some free podcasts also available from oneradionetwork.com

Or you may simply choose to live with it and worry about it no further! :wink:

By the way, some people find proteolytic enzymes helpful in reducing mucus in the body. This means bromelain or serrapeptase or nattokinase, for example, but note that these are unsuitable for people on blood-thinning medication.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ThinkingIsAbadHabit

It's due to fluid in the inner ear, sometimes causing something known as 'hyperacoustics'

Some foods which, in some people, may exacerbate the symptoms you describe include black pepper, dairy foods, oats, yeasty foods etc.

Don't give out false information. There is no such thing as "hyperacoustics". You may be referring to hyperacusis, which is an entirely separate phenomenon to do with oversensitivity to sound.
Original post by Abyssion998
Don't give out false information. There is no such thing as "hyperacoustics". You may be referring to hyperacusis, which is an entirely separate phenomenon to do with oversensitivity to sound.

Not intentional - thankyou for the correction. My GP described it verbally to me many years ago and that's how I recalled it.
Reply 8
I have the same thing too. My right ear vibrates when i talk and i cant hear my voice. I also developed tinnitus and a blocked feeling and my right ear pops when i eat. Cant find any information for not hearing your voice anywhere
Reply 9
I get this too. Whenever i talk my right ear vibrates which makes it difficult to generate voice.Do you get any other symptoms like whooshing sound in ear?
Reply 10
Original post by Steve03!
I have the same thing too. My right ear vibrates when i talk and i cant hear my voice. I also developed tinnitus and a blocked feeling and my right ear pops when i eat. Cant find any information for not hearing your voice anywhere

I get this too, can we connect on insta or fb it will be easier to talk my insta - ishpreet087
I have this exact same thing, I dull my voice to stop the irritation within the ear, which leads to people saying, ‘pardon me?’ Do you have any other information on this?
Reply 12
Original post by Sam James
I have this exact same thing, I dull my voice to stop the irritation within the ear, which leads to people saying, ‘pardon me?’ Do you have any other information on this?

May I ask if you wvwr found out what this was? Im experiencing the same thing,
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Haha, it's similar to that feeling and I often pop my ears back to normal but this is a different feeling. It's a long-term feeling I've had for a long time now and it only occurs when I'm talking as I don't get the feeling when I'm not talking.

May*I*ask*if*you*ever found*out*what*this*was?*Im*experiencing*the*same*thing,
Original post by _adastra_
May*I*ask*if*you*ever found*out*what*this*was?*Im*experiencing*the*same*thing,

Hi. I've been having this same issue since causing trauma to my ear from ear irrigation. ENTs don't seem to know what it is so I'm really hoping to find a solution from somewhere. If anyone has any info that would be great.
Original post by Steve03!

Hi Steve. I've been having this same symptoms since causing trauma to my ear from ear irrigation. ENTs don't seem to know what it is so I'm really hoping to find a solution from somewhere. If anyone has any info that would be great.
Original post by Sam James
Hi Sam. I know you posted 2 years ago but did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a very similar problem and can't find anyone who can help. I've seen 2 private ENTs and neither seem to have a clue. Thanks, Richard
Original post by Tjtj100
I get this too. Whenever i talk my right ear vibrates which makes it difficult to generate voice.Do you get any other symptoms like whooshing sound in ear?
Hi. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I've been struggling with the same problem and nobody seems to be able to help.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest