The Student Room Group

Structural isomers

I have an exam coming up and I am going through the past paper. There are a few Questions that I don't understand.

Draw 3 structural isomers of compounds that have the molecular formula C4H10

I've looked on the internet, but everything comes up as the lewis structure for C4H10 so I am not actually sure what I am asked to draw here. (I only understand how to draw lewis structures). I know the formula will change, so I don't want to revise this specific structure. I want to be able to understand the process, the procecure do draw any.

Below is a table containing the names of compounds along with their structural formula, molecular formula and shorthand structure. What formulae or structures should appear in positions i, ii, iii and iv?

I can't seem to understand how to work out how to do the structural or shorthand structure.
(edited 10 years ago)
For the first question, you'll obviously have the standard straight chain alkane. But you can also have branched chain alkanes, you should be able to get three no problem :smile:
Reply 2
Chain isomers (eg, 2-methylpropane)
Position isomers
Functional group isomers

The 3 types of structural isomers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Conflicting answers. :frown:
Original post by itskimmy
Conflicting answers. :frown:

They're not conflicting :no:

The first part is asking you to draw 3 molecules, each of which must have 4 carbon atoms and 10 hydrogen atoms all connected properly :smile:

I'll do another example for you to give you an idea: C5H12

Both the top and bottom drawings have 5 carbons and 12 hydrogens, these are both isomers of C5H12. There are more too :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest