The Student Room Group

would it matter if i swallowed a piece of metal coil/spring from my braces?

I have this metal coil or spring (not sure what its called) as part of my braces and i'm just worried that something bad will happen if i swallow it. (i haven't swallowed anything yet, just worried it might happen). i have other parts of my braces which are also metal and i was told by nurses when they fitted them that it wouldn't be a problem if i swallowed it, but i just don't know if that would apply to this metal coil.
sorry if that is a bit confusing but if anyone could offer some reassurance or experience then i would be very grateful. thanks
Reply 1
Original post by tgwktm
I have this metal coil or spring (not sure what its called) as part of my braces and i'm just worried that something bad will happen if i swallow it. (i haven't swallowed anything yet, just worried it might happen). i have other parts of my braces which are also metal and i was told by nurses when they fitted them that it wouldn't be a problem if i swallowed it, but i just don't know if that would apply to this metal coil.
sorry if that is a bit confusing but if anyone could offer some reassurance or experience then i would be very grateful. thanks

I wouldn't think there would be any problem unless it got lodged in your throat and became painful. However I would seek advice from your orthodontist regarding the matter as they may need to put a new one in (... I know barely a thing about orthodontics though so don't just take my word from it) ... they wouldn't fix something to your teeth/mouth/whatever if it were that dangerous!
I don't think it would be much of a problem. I've seen documentaries of people who ate all sorts of metal objects and they were fine for years.

Quick Reply

Latest