The Student Room Group

5+ years for NHS braces waiting list

I have been on the braces waiting list for 5+ years now and shavent heard anything from the dentist's. Whenever I tried to give a call they would just tell me the same thing to call back 6 months from now, every time. Not giving me any information about the waiting list. I have been getting more pain n discomfort in my unaligned teeth. Idk what to do really.

Scroll to see replies

The NHS is probably extremely busy right now, and doing dentistry doesn't follow the social distancing guidelines, so perhaps now is not the best time to call up and sort it out :smile:

The NHS waiting line is always going to be long for braces - that's why I got them done privately. However, I understand this isn't an option for everyone, so you could ring them once the virus has settled down. :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by yzanne
The NHS is probably extremely busy right now, and doing dentistry doesn't follow the social distancing guidelines, so perhaps now is not the best time to call up and sort it out :smile:

The NHS waiting line is always going to be long for braces - that's why I got them done privately. However, I understand this isn't an option for everyone, so you could ring them once the virus has settled down. :yep:

Yeah I know not to call at this time. But I have tried calling since last year
Original post by 12alann12
I have been on the braces waiting list for 5+ years now and shavent heard anything from the dentist's. Whenever I tried to give a call they would just tell me the same thing to call back 6 months from now, every time. Not giving me any information about the waiting list. I have been getting more pain n discomfort in my unaligned teeth. Idk what to do really.

Have you contacted the orthodontists who will be doing it directly?? My dentists told me they had put me on the waiting list and then came back months later saying they had actually forgotten to put the papers through and I wasn't even on the list... could be worth checking!
Reply 4
Original post by Siobha
Have you contacted the orthodontists who will be doing it directly?? My dentists told me they had put me on the waiting list and then came back months later saying they had actually forgotten to put the papers through and I wasn't even on the list... could be worth checking!

Ill be sure to check that out 😊
Ask then about the waiting list and how far u are on the list
Have moved this to health for you :hugs: i think at the moment most dentists are not performing routine procedures so that could explain the silence
Reply 7
Original post by Itsnaaaz
Ask then about the waiting list and how far u are on the list

Yeah I have asked plenty of times before but they never gave an answer to it. They always just say there's a long waiting list. The receptionists never really listen kinda fed up with them.
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy
Have moved this to health for you :hugs: i think at the moment most dentists are not performing routine procedures so that could explain the silence

Oh k thanks:smile:

I was supposed to have braces on March 19th but it got delayed cuz of the coronavirus and my orthodontist wasnt well (probs got coronavirus). Now i don't even know when i'll get braces.
Yeah I have asked plenty of times before but they never gave an answer to it. They always just say there's a long waiting list. The receptionists never really listen kinda fed up with them.

Keep persisting. The more u ask the quicker. That’s what I had to do. I’m very sorry that your having to wait so long. Keep asking!!!

patients don't deserve to wait this long!
Did they say your eligible for the braces. If not that’s prolly why u been waiting for so long.

Or they are treating more ‘urgent’ clients first
Reply 13
Thanks I'll keep asking once this Coronavirus situation settles
Reply 14
Original post by YugiKnows
I was supposed to have braces on March 19th but it got delayed cuz of the coronavirus and my orthodontist wasnt well (probs got coronavirus). Now i don't even know when i'll get braces.

Damn that sucks
(edited 4 years ago)
Damn that sucks

Yeaaa it lowers my self esteem
I’ve had my braces since June 2018 and I’m supposed to be getting them off this year. My last orthodontist appointment was at the end of March and I asked my orthodontist how much longer do u think I would be wearing my braces for and she said 3 more months but because of the whole corona situation it will take longer. This is cuz they might not be open for me to attend my appointments. It’s honestly so frustrating. I’m gonna miss my braces but I wanna get them off ASAP
Reply 17
Original post by YugiKnows
Yeaaa it lowers my self esteem

Fr fr makes me not wanna smile n laugh around people
Fr fr makes me not wanna smile n laugh around people

Exactly how i feel. when i smile with my mouth closed my smile is messed up cuz of my overbite i look dumb :frown:

I cant wait for the day when i will be able to smile
Reply 19
Original post by Itsnaaaz
I’ve had my braces since June 2018 and I’m supposed to be getting them off this year. My last orthodontist appointment was at the end of March and I asked my orthodontist how much longer do u think I would be wearing my braces for and she said 3 more months but because of the whole corona situation it will take longer. This is cuz they might not be open for me to attend my appointments. It’s honestly so frustrating. I’m gonna miss my braces but I wanna get them off ASAP

Yeah mines quite the opposite I want braces ASAP because I know that I'm gonna need to have them for many many years. Heck I might still have them while in uni

Quick Reply

Latest