The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Posters are fine. They're not allowed on the outside of your door though cos its a "fire hazard", but your walls are fine. No-one will search your room (unless you do something really stupid that draws attention to it). Only cleaners entered our rooms last year to empty bins and hoover, but that wont happen anymore, the cleaners have been given the chop.

Reading is great for bands. You obviously have the Reading Festival, and the union hosts bands all the time, some famous, some not so famous. I cant actually remember what bands where at the ball but i do remember Chesney Hawkes was DJing at the freshers ball last year.

Reading is a great place to live coz theres always something to do and somewhere to go. As for safety? Its as safe as any other place you could go to. You here about stuff going on every now and again, but i personally havnt had any trouble or seen any.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Given the choice, would it be better to go for self catering or catered accommodation? Reading was my insurance choice so I’m hoping I can get into halls on campus, I’m not sure how likely this will be though. Plus with catered are there set times you have breakfast etc or is it flexible? thx
Reply 22
I take it you have not yet applied for accommodation? Well, if this is the case, you are too late to get guaranteed accommodation in the Halls of Residency; so if, by the off chance, you do get a place in a Hall when the time comes, you probably won't have the choice of catered and self-catered - it will be a case of accepting the first one given to you.
I got a place through clearing. I've never been to Reading University before. I'm from London, all i know is my evil geography teacher lives in Reading. There aren't any pictures on the website, so I basically know nothing. Is Reading a campus university? and is anyone else here doing a construction /property related course?
Reply 24
Reading is a campus uni really..its a beautiful campus, you will love it!!all you need to know is that its gona be awesome, cant help about your course tho.
Cheers with the positive comments. Is it anything like sussex uni campus? or keele's one, or the surrey's one? to be honest, im not a huge fan of campuses. I was cringying when I was at the surrey campus, grass everywhere. i think i have some phobia of grass. whats the town like? anything like london?
yeahyeahyeahs
I was cringying when I was at the surrey campus, grass everywhere. i think i have some phobia of grass.

Spoken like a true Londoner
Reply 27
crushedfruit
Spoken like a true Londoner

Heh. The air will be too clean for us metropolitan folk.

Or will it? Who carrrrrrrressssss? We're in Reading!!! :biggrin:
Bloody Londoners XD ... having said that I do love London :biggrin:

For those of you who haven't seen Reading's campus... Londonder or no Londoner... you cannot do anything but love it.
Im also from London lol seems like were taking over. Im so worried about not being in halls now, I may take a year out or something if they put me with a host family. I rejected my first choice of Kingston uni which I picked as I wanted to stay at home. Anyway this is just my stressy rambling now..
Reply 30
yeahyeahyeahs
i think i have some phobia of grass.

good luck with that one then. and if you got a phobia of water too, no one shud tell you theres a lake in the middle of the campus!!!
Kat027
good luck with that one then. and if you got a phobia of water too, no one shud tell you theres a lake in the middle of the campus!!!

I saw grass on the campus, it was okay... just about bearable, but it didnt feel like a place i would fit into. So I'm rejecting the offer. good luck to everyone else though. :smile:
hello, i was a fresher last year and stayed in childs hall, & im doing maths and psychology, thought i'd add my answers, hope it helps.

we had the delays, the rakes, bjorn again, some commitments tribute band and a couple of others at this years ball. was awesome, i stayed till the end (6am for anyone who cares) we;ve also had the subways (with the kooks supporting!), hundred reasons, Karl kennedy!!! playing at the union.

Reading campus is lovely. its great in the summer when u can chill out on the grass by the lake. Doesnt feel like you are in a city but for you grass phobics there are plenty of streets for ya! Town is easy to get to, loads of places to go out, something for everyone. Pavlovs Dogs is good on a monday, £1 reefs and shots and pints of various beverages, then on to the Fez club for a boogie to indie/rock. Vodka revs on a tues is great for a fun night out, cheap vodka shots. wed is a union night (cheesy music here) , thurs pub quiz in mojos, sat union night (more dancy then wed nights).

Childs Hall, while being a bit dingy was great. i loved it there last year. made loads of friends, room a decent size i thought. i had a friend who managed to fit 3 people staying over in her room last year. we have a good sized bar, and i know the head of thejcr this year and he's lovely. foods a bit shabby but mass catering for 400-odd people is never gonna be amazing, lets face it.

Any other q's feel free to pm me.
hollywollydoodle
hello, i was a fresher last year and stayed in childs hall, & im doing maths and psychology, thought i'd add my answers, hope it helps.

we had the delays, the rakes, bjorn again, some commitments tribute band and a couple of others at this years ball. was awesome, i stayed till the end (6am for anyone who cares) we;ve also had the subways (with the kooks supporting!), hundred reasons, Karl kennedy!!! playing at the union.

Reading campus is lovely. its great in the summer when u can chill out on the grass by the lake. Doesnt feel like you are in a city but for you grass phobics there are plenty of streets for ya! Town is easy to get to, loads of places to go out, something for everyone. Pavlovs Dogs is good on a monday, £1 reefs and shots and pints of various beverages, then on to the Fez club for a boogie to indie/rock. Vodka revs on a tues is great for a fun night out, cheap vodka shots. wed is a union night (cheesy music here) , thurs pub quiz in mojos, sat union night (more dancy then wed nights).

Childs Hall, while being a bit dingy was great. i loved it there last year. made loads of friends, room a decent size i thought. i had a friend who managed to fit 3 people staying over in her room last year. we have a good sized bar, and i know the head of thejcr this year and he's lovely. foods a bit shabby but mass catering for 400-odd people is never gonna be amazing, lets face it.

Any other q's feel free to pm me.

Wow the Subways and the Kooks...id have loved that, but I doubt they'd be playing again as theyre bigger now:frown:
Reply 34
hollywollydoodle
Karl kennedy!!! playing at the union.

!!!!!!!!!

He'd better play again!
Reply 35
Atomik
!!!!!!!!!

He'd better play again!

I agree! I swear I saw him from a bus in Cambridge once, either that or his doppelganger was lurking in my town! Although I downloaded some of his music once (no idea why - curiousity? Masochism?) and didn't think much of it. Maybe he is better live. :biggrin:
Reply 36
Atomik
!!!!!!!!!

He'd better play again!

i want 2 see him!!!!!!!!
pinkandpurple_stars
Wow the Subways and the Kooks...id have loved that, but I doubt they'd be playing again as theyre bigger now:frown:

You best start watching the people who aren't well known then :smile: when they are famous you cxan say you saw them! ;D
Reply 38
Starling
I agree! I swear I saw him from a bus in Cambridge once, either that or his doppelganger was lurking in my town! Although I downloaded some of his music once (no idea why - curiousity? Masochism?) and didn't think much of it. Maybe he is better live. :biggrin:

I haven't heard his music... However, Neighbours is fan-bloody-tastic. Karl and Susan are getting back together... again!
Reply 39
what stuff do u get in your room and in the kitchens like desk etc and microwave kettle, my mum is getting annoying and keeps asking me

Latest

Trending

Trending