The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth Uni - Transfer route from Biomedical Sciences to Medicine

Hi, I'm considering applying to Plymouth University to study Biomedical Sciences as my back up option to get into Medicine. I have heard of their transfer scheme and know that anyone on the course with AAB A Levels are eligible for an interview sometime in December or January on your 1st year (I got this info from the Uni website and contacting the admissions department as well). If successful at interview, you are given a conditional offer, which allows you to progress onto Year 1 of Medicine after completion of your 1st year, provided that you get 70% or more in all 6 modules during 1st year. And there are around 10 spaces but not all of them get filled up each year.

My question is - are there any students that have gone through this particular route here who could possibly share their experience of it? Such as, the difficulty of getting 70% or more in those modules, the interview process, and overall the success rates or amount of pressure? Is it worth considering?

I am happy to continue studying biomedical sciences if the transfer is unsuccessful, as I do enjoy the modules that the course offers as well as do have plans to become a clinical scientist if Medicine does not work out, but was wondering if this was an option worth considering.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in advance!
Reply 1
Thank you for your reply.

It is actually my 2nd year applying for Medicine, having just finished Year 13, as I didnt get any offers when I applied in Year 12. Which is why I said I dont mind studying biomedical sciences if it doesnt work out, as i am already on my 2nd try. I do understand that it is competitive though, so finding someone here that has been through the route will probably be hard - i was really hoping there would at least be one person though!

Instead of that, would you or anyone else be able to share your experiences of Plymouth University - would it be difficult to settle into if you are used to living in a city environment? Is there an overall good student life and night life available there, and enough things to do around there for fun? Is the campus and facilities good? I have seen many vlogs and the Uni website, but was hoping someone would be able to recommend it from personal experience.

Thank you!
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Is there anyone on here that has been through the process and willing to share any tips or their experience?

I have already been on the website and am aware of the details, just wanted to hear of any personal experiences (which i am aware is gonna be very few people, but still wanted to try nevertheless!)

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
All plymouth requires is your A Level grades, to be given an interview in dec/jan on the year of entry. If you do qualify for an interview, surely the only thing left is to do well at that in order to get an offer? This doesnt seem that unreasonable to me.

I understand that your advice does make sense, and i am interested in following biomed all the way through to become a clinical scientist through applying for the stp programme. Its just that med is my first choice, not the only thing im interested in doing, career-wise. Thats why i am considering this pathway as well.
Reply 5
Hello. I’m just wondering that if you make it at the end. If yes, do you mind to share your experience please? Thanks
Original post by nttc____
Hello. I’m just wondering that if you make it at the end. If yes, do you mind to share your experience please? Thanks

Hi there! 🙂

I'm a current Plymouth second year student and, although I don't study this subject, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have in general about the university, city, campus, or student life. Otherwise, we also have course reps available for many subjects on Unibuddy if you have more specific course-related questions!

Best of luck!
-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending