The Student Room Group

Will JSA affect Student Finance??

Hi TSR,
(edited 7 years ago)
It shouldn't.

If you're under 25 then your household income will be taken into account (ie your parents and not yours).

If you're under 25 but are estranged from your parents (and can prove it) then your own income (and any partners) will be taken into account.

If you're over 25 then your own (and partners) income is taken into account but the assumption is that any wages/benefits claimed prior to uni will not be payable while studying and so will be ignored.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It shouldn't.

If you're under 25 then your household income will be taken into account (ie your parents and not yours).

If you're under 25 but are estranged from your parents (and can prove it) then your own income (and any partners) will be taken into account.

If you're over 25 then your own (and partners) income is taken into account but the assumption is that any wages/benefits claimed prior to uni will not be payable while studying and so will be ignored.

Thank you
Reply 3
Moved to Student Financial Support forum.

Original post by WestSide4Life
Hi TSR,

Does anybody know whether claiming JSA will affect my student finance in any way when I do come to apply?

Thanks.

Student Finance can certainly affect entitlement to income based benefits, though. Not all student finance is counted as income, as a certain amount is ignored (enough to cover books and study expenses) but a good bulk of student finance, the amount to cover living costs, will be taken into consideration. This can reduce benefit or result in being completely ineligible for IB benefits depending on income.

Remember that only certain categories of FT students can claim JSA during certain periods. The majority can't.

PT students can claim JSA but they receive more limited finance anyway.

And you do need to be actively looking for a job and willing to start a FT job, regardless of the course. It's not the easiest benefit to claim as a student rather than because of finance being affected
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by River85
Moved to Student Financial Support forum.

Student Finance can certainly affect entitlement to income based benefits, though. Not all student finance is counted as income, as a certain amount is ignored (enough to cover books and study expenses) but a good bulk of student finance, the amount to cover living costs, will be taken into consideration. This can reduce benefit or result in being completely ineligible for IB benefits depending on income.

Remember that only certain categories of FT students can claim JSA during certain periods. The majority can't.

PT students can claim JSA but they receive more limited finance anyway.

And you do need to be actively looking for a job and willing to start a FT job, regardless of the course. It's not the easiest benefit to claim as a student rather than because of finance being affected

No I won't be claiming it when I'm at uni. At the moment I am unemployed and not in college, but I will be going to uni in September.

At the moment I trying to find employment, but struggling to do so, I may claim JSA from now up until whenever I find employment or up until when I start uni in September (hope it doesn't come to that).

I remember last year when I applied for uni, in the SF application is asked whether I had claimed any sort of financial benefits, I didn't, so answered no. But this time round I will have probably claimed JSA up until I start my course and therefore was wondering what affect this would, as since they ask the question I thought it would make some difference to may be the amount of financial support you get from SF.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Sorry for misunderstanding/jumping in with the assumption that you were wanting to claim when at uni.

Original post by WestSide4Life
.But this time round I will have probably claimed JSA up until I start my course and therefore was wondering what affect this would, as since they ask the question I thought it would make some difference to may be the amount of financial support you get from SF.

It can do, if an independent student and claiming income based benefits, but not necessarily in a negative way. Those claiming income-based JSA are automatically entitled to the maximum loan and grant, I think, due to low income. But this won't apply to you if your entitlement is based on your parents/guardians. You won't need to declare that you are currently claiming JSA, if you are. Only if your parents/guardians are.

There are also certain Disability related benefits which are relevant. For example, those claiming Disability Living Allowance might be able to claim the Special Support Grant, instead of the usual grant, which is a good thing. It's the same amount of money, despite the different name, but isn't taken into account when calculating entitlement for income based benefits like the "normal" grant, and loan, are.

There are other reasons why it's important to know if a person claims benefits, but won't go into it as they're all unlikely to be relevant to you. The point is you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

However, do you actually have an unconditional place at university in September or are you still in the process of applying? Be aware that if you do have an unconditional place then a Jobcentre might make it difficult to claim. I claimed myself in 2004 when on a gap year, just for three months, with no difficulty or questions asked. However, when I claimed again in 2007 (while withdrawn from university due to health/personal reasons), they were unsure if I was able to claim. Apparently the rules had changed and those on a year out, with university confirmed place, cannot claim. However, because I'd withdrawn due to health reasons (and wasn't certain of returning) I was able to sign on.

If you're told you can't claim I'd appeal/get this checked just in case.

Personally, I don't see why your university offer should made a difference, as it's possible to sign on even if you're expected to start a job in a few months time (so just look for temporary work until then). But I'm no expert. Perhaps my jobcentre, and some others, are wrong.

Though technically you can just fail to mention you're going to university in September, then, when you start, sign off (you don't need to provide a reason for signing off and, even if you tell them it's due to university, I doubt investigations will be made). I doubt they'll ask about future plans/uni.
Reply 6
Original post by River85
Sorry for misunderstanding/jumping in with the assumption that you were wanting to claim when at uni.

It can do, if an independent student and claiming income based benefits, but not necessarily in a negative way. Those claiming income-based JSA are automatically entitled to the maximum loan and grant, I think, due to low income. But this won't apply to you if your entitlement is based on your parents/guardians. You won't need to declare that you are currently claiming JSA, if you are. Only if your parents/guardians are.

There are also certain Disability related benefits which are relevant. For example, those claiming Disability Living Allowance might be able to claim the Special Support Grant, instead of the usual grant, which is a good thing. It's the same amount of money, despite the different name, but isn't taken into account when calculating entitlement for income based benefits like the "normal" grant, and loan, are.

There are other reasons why it's important to know if a person claims benefits, but won't go into it as they're all unlikely to be relevant to you. The point is you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

However, do you actually have an unconditional place at university in September or are you still in the process of applying? Be aware that if you do have an unconditional place then a Jobcentre might make it difficult to claim. I claimed myself in 2004 when on a gap year, just for three months, with no difficulty or questions asked. However, when I claimed again in 2007 (while withdrawn from university due to health/personal reasons), they were unsure if I was able to claim. Apparently the rules had changed and those on a year out, with university confirmed place, cannot claim. However, because I'd withdrawn due to health reasons (and wasn't certain of returning) I was able to sign on.

Personally, I don't see why your university offer should made a difference, as it's possible to sign on even if you're expected to start a job in a few months time (so just look for temporary work until then). But I'm no expert. Perhaps my jobcentre, and some others, are wrong.

Though technically you can just fail to mention you're going to university in September, then, when you start, sign off (you don't need to provide a reason for signing off and, even if you tell them it's due to university, I doubt investigations will be made). I doubt they'll ask about future plans/uni.

No I don't have a unconditional place. Yeah that makes a lot more sense now, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by River85

I went in on 'signing on' day, I was then told I have a personal advisor interview two days later, but I already had a job interview that day, so I told the advisor and she said I'll have to bring in proof of some sort. I told her I could show her the interview email on my mobile, she then said I would have to print it off and give it her, so I asked if I could print it there, she said the printers were only for staff use :confused:. So she expected me to go all way home to get this printed and come back the job centre, it costs me £5 to get there on bus and I would have to take 2 buses. Which isn't too bad, but the most annoying thing was that if she bothered to look at my work plan book, she would of saw that I wrote I had an interview on the specified date before she even told me I had a personal advisor interview on that day, so that was proof enough!
What's also frustrating is that I'm paying £5 every time I'm going to the jobcentre, but have yet to even receive a JSA payment and the job interview will cost me £15 in travel costs.

Sorry to bother you, just wanted to let out my frustration.
(edited 10 years ago)
That's what it is for - seeking jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending