The Student Room Group

Question regarding eligibility

Good evening,

So I am thinking of going back to university in 2025. I previously studied from 2017 until 2019 where I repeated my first year. I didn't go to a lot of lectures during the second year due to depression and subsequently, when I dropped out in the third term SLC wanted the last terms maintenance loan payment back. I had to pay the rent with this and couldnt afford to pay it all back. They started calling and I was in a bad place and in 2020 it went to CCS Collect where I started making monthly payments in 2021 ever since.

My intention is to save money for my first years tuition as I'm aware that funding is for length of course + 1 year minus the two years I already studied (which brings me to two years). I was just wondering if the referral to the debt collectors would affect my eligibility to be funded by student finance in my second and third year. I am in a much better mental health state and have improved my life and would like to get a degree to start a much better career than I have at the moment.

If you could let me know so that I can have a bit of peace of mind and I can look forward to saving my money, I would be very appreciative!

Thanks.
Hi Ross,

Can you confirm what type of course you're looking to study in 2025? Is it a full time course and what is the name of the course? Just to also clarify, it's only two years you've previously studied since leaving further education. Is that correct? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Ross,

Can you confirm what type of course you're looking to study in 2025? Is it a full time course and what is the name of the course? Just to also clarify, it's only two years you've previously studied since leaving further education. Is that correct? Thanks, Jason

Hello,

I am looking at studying an undergraduate full time course in computer science. And yes, I studied for two years. My first year was 2017-18 and I restarted my first year 2018-19, dropping out in the third term.

Thanks.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by RossLan
Hello,

I am looking at studying an undergraduate full time course in computer science. And yes, I studied for two years. My first year was 2017-18 and I restarted my first year 2018-19, dropping out in the third term.

Thanks.

Hi Ross, Student Finance uses this calculation to work out how much funding you have left:
New course length + Additional Year Previous study years
For example, your new course is 3 years long, your calculation would be:
*3 + 1 2 = 2 years entitlement

If you do not have enough years entitlement left to fund the 1st year of the course, you may be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). I have enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 4
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi Ross, Student Finance uses this calculation to work out how much funding you have left:
New course length + Additional Year Previous study years
For example, your new course is 3 years long, your calculation would be:
*3 + 1 2 = 2 years entitlement

If you do not have enough years entitlement left to fund the 1st year of the course, you may be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). I have enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Leah.

Hey,

I already know. I intend to save up the money for the first years turion. My questions were.

1. Would the fact my previous maintenance overpayment had gone to a collections agency to get the money affect my ability to be approved for student finance?

2. Would I still get a maintenence loan in the first year despite not being eligible for tuition funding?

While. I'd like to apply for compelling personal reasons, most my correspondence with the university mental health team was through their email system which I no longer have any access to as its deleted, so I'm afraid I probably won't have enough evidence to get approved.

Kind Regards.
Original post by RossLan
Hey,

I already know. I intend to save up the money for the first years turion. My questions were.

1. Would the fact my previous maintenance overpayment had gone to a collections agency to get the money affect my ability to be approved for student finance?

2. Would I still get a maintenence loan in the first year despite not being eligible for tuition funding?

While. I'd like to apply for compelling personal reasons, most my correspondence with the university mental health team was through their email system which I no longer have any access to as its deleted, so I'm afraid I probably won't have enough evidence to get approved.

Kind Regards.

Hi RossLan,

Your eligibility for a maintenance loan isn't affected by your previous study so you would still be able to get this.

Having arrears on your account may affect any future application for student finance. I would advise speaking to our Repayment Recoveries department to discuss your specific situation. Their number is 0300 100 0495 and they are open Monday to Thursday, 8am to 7pm; Friday, 8am to 5:30pm.

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by RossLan
Hey,

Kind Regards.

Hi Ross, my apologies. If you have any outstanding arrears with a debt collector, then this can affect your eligibility. They would need to be fully cleared before you would be eligible for a further loan.

However, we don't deal with repayments here, so if you had any further questions regarding this then you would be best contacting our repayments department directly.

You would still be entitled to a Maintenance Loan + grant's for the 1st year if you're eligible, just the Tuition Fees would be blocked.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 7
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi Ross, my apologies. If you have any outstanding arrears with a debt collector, then this can affect your eligibility. They would need to be fully cleared before you would be eligible for a further loan.

However, we don't deal with repayments here, so if you had any further questions regarding this then you would be best contacting our repayments department directly.

You would still be entitled to a Maintenance Loan + grant's for the 1st year if you're eligible, just the Tuition Fees would be blocked.

Thanks, Leah.

Original post by Calum SLC
Hi RossLan,

Your eligibility for a maintenance loan isn't affected by your previous study so you would still be able to get this.

Having arrears on your account may affect any future application for student finance. I would advise speaking to our Repayment Recoveries department to discuss your specific situation. Their number is 0300 100 0495 and they are open Monday to Thursday, 8am to 7pm; Friday, 8am to 5:30pm.

Thanks,
Calum

Hey,

So I just rang them and they told me that the overpayment wouldn't have an affect on future applications for student finance as it hasn't defaulted or in arrears. So I should be fine to plan to study in the future. Thanks for responding.
Original post by RossLan
Hey,

So I just rang them and they told me that the overpayment wouldn't have an affect on future applications for student finance as it hasn't defaulted or in arrears. So I should be fine to plan to study in the future. Thanks for responding.

You're welcome. Have a nice day! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending