The Student Room Group

McFly's cover of 'Don't Stop Me Now'

When I heard that McFly were doing a cover of 'Don't Stop Me Now' I almost cried. That song has a lot of meaning for me and is one of my favourite songs, so I thought I would totally hate the cover.

Having heard it, I'm actually quite impressed!!!!! Totally shocked.

Anyone elses views?

I think that the guy with the lisp (don't know names) sounds SO sexy, that lisp is drool-worthy.

Scroll to see replies

Is it the one they used for the backing of the Sport Relief thing? Because that is NOT Queen lol.
McFly are so annoying :x
Don't give them the time there not worth it:mad:
Reply 4
i saw them "sing" that song on Sport Relief yesterday evening, its just another crap cover and makes you again realise how great Freddie Mercury and Queen were
Reply 5
I love McFly's version. I was quite surprised that they had permission to cover it, though.
kitty_koo
i saw them "sing" that song on Sport Relief yesterday evening, its just another crap cover and makes you again realise how great Freddie Mercury and Queen were

Queen were a bloody average novelty band, I cant believe the way some people seem to respect them, o.k Freddy Mercury was a great entertainer but Queen came out with some of the biggest load of ****e the music industry has ever produced.

The Mcfly cover is decent enough, dunno what else you could expect really, it's o.k thats all.
Reply 7
Freddie Mercury was a brilliant song writer, and Brian May is an awesome guitarest, I don't see how you can not love them!

As for the mcFly cover, I havn't heard it.
sketchie
Freddie Mercury was a brilliant song writer, .

have you actually read any of his lyrics?
Reply 9
The cover is forgettable ****.

As for Queen, the first five or six albums were excellent, paving the way for a further seven or eight collections of the most perfunctory and thoroughly forgettable nonsense ever released. Their early work catapulted them into genuinely earned megastardom - they just couldn't bear to let it go...shame.
Reply 10
Never heard it, thankfully. Don't want to hear them murdering that song. :frown:
just proves how talentless they are , that they have to cover a brillient song!
Reply 12
Well, it's a god-awful band doing a cover of an overplayed song, originally done by a vastly over-rated band. Hasn't got much going for it really.
Meh. It's not too bad a cover, je suppose.

'The guy with the lisp' is called Tom. God, he pees me off. Sexy?! *cringes at thought of it*. Danny (other lead singer) sounds sexy, but he's not in the flesh, either. Arrogant boy.

I am hoping that it won't be long before this band split. I did like them in the beginning when they were all cute and naive-looking but now they seem to be taking it all too seriously.

What with the fact that they've been together 3 years, have now had 2 TV charity singles, a terrible film and around 5 top 10 hits, and what with Tom looking ever-ready to vehemently defend his song writing abilities on Johnathan Ross (how dull) SURELY it has not got to be long before they separate, thanks also to critical artistic differences between Danny and Tom?!
Just a minute here people, I think some of you need to take a step back think about what the cover of 'Don't Stop Me Now' is for. It is for charity. Charity records for fundrasing events like Sport Relief are usually covers - it gives people a familiar song which is well liked sung by a group or person who is poular at the time - in order to appeal to as many people as possible so they sell more and raise more money.

And this particular song fits very well with the Sport Relief theme and would be quite an encouraging song to hear if doing something for charity and need that extra push to keep you going.

Also, that song isn't the only one being released by them, they are releasing a double A side single, with 'Don't Stop Me Now' normally the second song listed. The other song is an origianl release by the as far a I know (called 'Please, Please'). If you hear it it's pretty decent. Not one of their over all best and not as good as 'Don't Stop Me Now', but still good.
Freddie is unhappy. Very unhappy indeed. So unhappy in fact, he is spinning. In his grave.
Roger Kirk
Just a minute here people, I think some of you need to take a step back think about what the cover of 'Don't Stop Me Now' is for. It is for charity. Charity records for fundrasing events like Sport Relief are usually covers - it gives people a familiar song which is well liked sung by a group or person who is poular at the time - in order to appeal to as many people as possible so they sell more and raise more money.

And this particular song fits very well with the Sport Relief theme and would be quite an encouraging song to hear if doing something for charity and need that extra push to keep you going.

Also, that song isn't the only one being released by them, they are releasing a double A side single, with 'Don't Stop Me Now' normally the second song listed. The other song is an origianl release by the as far a I know (called 'Please, Please'). If you hear it it's pretty decent. Not one of their over all best and not as good as 'Don't Stop Me Now', but still good.

yeah what he said really, it's all for a good cause, added to the fact that Queen are probably the most over rated band in the history of music the cover is actually pretty good.
my first reaction is" you what!"
"Mc fly covering the genius of queen!" sorry can't be done, please just shoot them now, yep they may be good musicians in their own way, but please! they are awful
all this 'genius of Queen' stuff is begining to annnoy me, they were ****e.
I saw them play it on TOTP this evening and as covers go, it's not that bad.

I'm sure a lot of people had made their mind up about the song being awful before they had even heard it (something along the lines of 'omgz mfcly hv mrdrd cween!1') which is a bit unfair.

And to the person who criticised them for doing so many charity songs - be thankful it's McFly and not Embrace. :cool:

Latest