The Student Room Group

Am I being stupid?

So a bit of background information. My boyfriend is really into spiritual things. Like stuff to do with the soul and energy and such and I always encourage him to go for that stuff because it can be really enlightening and eye opening. But I don't really believe in that kind of stuff because it's just something I can't wrap my head around. Don't understand. Ect ect.

Anyways. Around an hour, two hours ago I decided to watch this movie I've been wanting to watch for a while now. And invited him to watch it with me. It's the movie "Pearl." Very much my cup of tea because I love that kind of stuff. But he doesn't like it at all. Believes it dampens the soul. Corrupts it. All that kind of stuff.

Around 30 minutes in, he's clearly very agitated and I tell him that we don't have to watch it. Even though I really wanted to continue watching it, and he starts going in about how "it's not good for you, the energy the actors put out is bad." All that kind of stuff. And I tell him that movies like this is a lot of girls cup of tea and that we like stuff like this. Hense why a lot of girls listen to true crime and such, but he's having non of it. And even went on to talk about how I don't care about my soul.

We ended up getting into an argument and he's currently really mad at me. I'm a sensitive girl and even if I try talk to him I know I'll start crying on the spot. But I don't know what to do on how to fix this. He clearly wants me to stop watching these kinds of movies but I love them.

This sucks.
Original post by Emooly
So a bit of background information. My boyfriend is really into spiritual things. Like stuff to do with the soul and energy and such and I always encourage him to go for that stuff because it can be really enlightening and eye opening. But I don't really believe in that kind of stuff because it's just something I can't wrap my head around. Don't understand. Ect ect.

Anyways. Around an hour, two hours ago I decided to watch this movie I've been wanting to watch for a while now. And invited him to watch it with me. It's the movie "Pearl." Very much my cup of tea because I love that kind of stuff. But he doesn't like it at all. Believes it dampens the soul. Corrupts it. All that kind of stuff.

Around 30 minutes in, he's clearly very agitated and I tell him that we don't have to watch it. Even though I really wanted to continue watching it, and he starts going in about how "it's not good for you, the energy the actors put out is bad." All that kind of stuff. And I tell him that movies like this is a lot of girls cup of tea and that we like stuff like this. Hense why a lot of girls listen to true crime and such, but he's having non of it. And even went on to talk about how I don't care about my soul.

We ended up getting into an argument and he's currently really mad at me. I'm a sensitive girl and even if I try talk to him I know I'll start crying on the spot. But I don't know what to do on how to fix this. He clearly wants me to stop watching these kinds of movies but I love them.

This sucks.

If it's as good as "X" then stand your ground and watch it!
Reply 2
Either you both compromise and respect each other's views, or you break up because you are incompatible.
Reply 3
Original post by Emooly

This sucks.

Whaaaaat. So... Can he not play violent video games? Does he cover his ears when somebody discusses violence, or worse, war? I get his whole energy thing, but over a movie, seriously?
He shouldn't be this upset about it, and trying to stop you from watching movies. If anything, he's the sensitive one.

Regardless, Pearl was a great movie, and so was X! Mia Goth's performance was super interesting to watch.
Reply 4
He should compromise too.

If you really do like different films just don't watch films together.
I suspect this is heading in an unhealthy “you need to respect my interests but I don’t have to respect yours” direction on his part.

If things are important to you, he needs to understand that, regardless of whether they are spiritual or hold value in his eyes.
Original post by Emooly

This sucks.

Your not stupid he is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending