The Student Room Group

Do you think my friend deserves to get a 1.1.?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ronove
Please stop referring to it as a 1.1., my head is about to explode.

I had to Google 'UK university grading system' to see if this 1.1 had recently sprung into existence
Reply 21
Original post by Davebya
Yes but my point is essentially this - From an ethical perspective, should he have dropped the module to get his 1.1., despite not having any valid reason to (in terms of UNI rules)?

So your friend had an opportunity to change modules and lift his grade to a first. What would you have done?
Reply 22
Original post by Jooooshy
So your friend had an opportunity to change modules and lift his grade to a first. What would you have done?

I'm not sure. If I was to have put myself in his position, I would have felt it is in some way unfair, seeing as your only supposed to be able to make those changes under serious circumstances which held you back from study. In my case, it would feel as if I'm getting an unfair pass to a first due to the knowledge that - 1. It was simply bad time management on my behalf. and 2. The knowledge that the workload for the module I'm doing instead next semester will be a lot easier..... and thereby I would feel I didn't truly deserve the first.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Davebya
I'm not sure. If I was to have put myself in his position, I would have felt it is in some way unfair, seeing as your only supposed to be able to make those changes under serious circumstances which held you back from study. In my case, it would feel as if I'm getting an unfair pass to a first due to the knowledge that the module I'm doing instead is a lot easier.... and thereby I would feel I didn't truly deserve the first.

It's hardly an 'unfair pass'. He'll still have to catch up on the work. Think of all of the students who started that course weeks ago, it will be even easier for them, and I'm guessing many took it for the same reason your friend transferred. I suppose they don't deserve a first either?
Reply 24
Original post by Davebya
No, the way it works in my UNI is that we submit a proposal and then do it over the next 4 months. (i.e. between now and May)

'Uni' is not an acronym. Unless you mean 'Unaffiliated Network of Illiterates', which would instantly put you among your most prolific and distinguished colleagues.

Edit: And no, nor is the fabled '1.1' an actual ****ing degree classification. Jesus wept.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
It's hardly an 'unfair pass'. He'll still have to catch up on the work. Think of all of the students who started that course weeks ago, it will be even easier for them, and I'm guessing many took it for the same reason your friend transferred. I suppose they don't deserve a first either?

No, I'm from Ireland you see (Hence the 1.1. confusion). This is the nearest student chat room to home, so I just use this. In my course, there are no year long modules. It's a certain amount of modules per semester, and you choose a certain number of credits each semester to make up 60 credits.

The module he was doing was a first semester module. The module he is now doing instead is a second semester module which noone has begun yet, not until 2 more weeks (My second semester begins on February 10th)

So basically, he dropped this 1st semester module (even though he legitimately wasn't supposed to be allowed to) because he managed his time badly and didn't get it done, despite having the same amount of time as everyone else. So he's now allowed to take up this 2nd semester module (which is a lot easier in terms of content than the 1st semester module) and has the same amount of time as everyone else to do it.
Reply 26
Original post by Davebya
No, I'm from Ireland you see (Hence the 1.1. confusion). This is the nearest student chat room to home, so I just use this. In my course, there are no year long modules. It's a certain amount of modules per semester, and you choose a certain number of credits each semester to make up 60 credits.

The module he was doing was a first semester module. The module he is now doing instead is a second semester module which noone has begun yet, not until 2 more weeks (My second semester begins on February 10th)

So basically, he dropped this 1st semester module (even though he legitimately wasn't supposed to be allowed to) because he managed his time badly and didn't get it done, despite having the same amount of time as everyone else. So he's now allowed to take up this 2nd semester module (which is a lot easier in terms of content than the 1st semester module) and has the same amount of time as everyone else to do it.

I see; is there such a thing as a 1:2 in Ireland?

I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has understood that part. The point I and others have made is that presumably everyone else doing that unit is doing it as unit 2 of 2 in that slot in the year, ie they did a different unit and got credits for it in semester 1, whereas your friend is doing both unit 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 in semester 2, and thus has a higher workload, due to having a unit (and the credits for it) missing from semester 1. Unless you're saying all the other people doing that unit in semester 2 are doing the same number of units as he is doing in semester 2?
Reply 27
Original post by Ronove
I see; is there such a thing as a 1:2 in Ireland?

I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has understood that part. The point I and others have made is that presumably everyone else doing that unit is doing it as unit 2 of 2 in that slot in the year, ie they did a different unit and got credits for it in semester 1, whereas your friend is doing both unit 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 in semester 2, and thus has a higher workload, due to having a unit (and the credits for it) missing from semester 1. Unless you're saying all the other people doing that unit in semester 2 are doing the same number of units as he is doing in semester 2?

Is it ok if I use the term credits?

Basically, we have to do 60 credits per year in my course altogether, and you are allowed to split them per semester any way you like, i.e. 25-35, 30-30, even 10-50 if you want. My friend chose 30 credits for Semester 1 and 30 for semester 2. You're not supposed to be allowed to even change your credit formation past the third week, it is the same as changing a module which is not allowed past the third week unless one has a legitimate reason to. He was allowed to change though, and has now done 25 credits in semester 1, and has 35 credits to do next semester.

Fair game you say? I'm not sure if it is. No.1 - Your'e not supposed to change anything after the third week unless you have a legitimate reason to, which he didn't. No.2 - The workload for the module he is doing instead in Semester 2 is FAR easier, it's known for it's small amount of workload and the fact that the lecturer is an easy marker.
Reply 28
Original post by Davebya
Is it ok if I use the term credits?

Basically, we have to do 60 credits per year in my course altogether, and you are allowed to split them per semester any way you like, i.e. 25-35, 30-30, even 10-50 if you want. My friend chose 30 credits for Semester 1 and 30 for semester 2. You're not supposed to be allowed to even change your credit formation past the third week, it is the same as changing a module which is not allowed past the third week unless one has a legitimate reason to. He was allowed to change though, and has now done 25 credits in semester 1, and has 35 credits to do next semester.

Fair game you say? I'm not sure if it is. No.1 - Your'e not supposed to change anything after the third week unless you have a legitimate reason to, which he didn't. No.2 - The workload for the module he is doing instead in Semester 2 is FAR easier, it's known for it's small amount of workload and the fact that the lecturer is an easy marker.

You appear to be repeating yourself and the same arguments in every post. People, including myself, have already addressed these.

And you didn't answer my question. I'll save you the trouble though, because it was a trick question. Being in Ireland has nothing to do with it - there is no such thing as a 1:1.
Reply 29
Original post by Ronove
You appear to be repeating yourself and the same arguments in every post. People, including myself, have already addressed these.

And you didn't answer my question. I'll save you the trouble though, because it was a trick question. Being in Ireland has nothing to do with it - there is no such thing as a 1:1.

OK, I get the point about the 1.1.

Can you address my question though one more time? I posted this somewhere else, and the conclusion someone came to was this.

''No, he does not deserve go get a 1st.
I'm not really sure how the whole system your university uses works, but bottom line is, he used a method to get out of a tight spot that is only supposed to be used for students who had a legitimate reason not to do or finish their assignment. He had as much time as everyone else to finish the assignment.

So, no he did not deserve to get the grade you worked so hard to get.''

Do you not agree with that
?
Sounds like you're a hater.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Sounds like you're a hater.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not, just looking for legitimate justification. :smile: Can you enlighten me with it?
Reply 32
Original post by Davebya
OK, I get the point about the 1.1.

Can you address my question though one more time? I posted this somewhere else, and the conclusion someone came to was this.

''No, he does not deserve go get a 1st.
I'm not really sure how the whole system your university uses works, but bottom line is, he used a method to get out of a tight spot that is only supposed to be used for students who had a legitimate reason not to do or finish their assignment. He had as much time as everyone else to finish the assignment.

So, no he did not deserve to get the grade you worked so hard to get.''

Do you not agree with that
?

I don't agree with that. He got the opportunity, he took it. It's hardly anything to do with you anyway, and he probably doesn't give a f*** whether people think he deserves his first so long as he gets it. Does that answer your question?
Reply 33
I don't agree with that. He got the opportunity, he took it. It's hardly anything to do with you anyway, and he probably doesn't give a f*** whether people think he deserves his first so long as he gets it. Does that answer your question?

Ok well this brings me to say this....

It is me who has changed the module. I am the guy who is getting the first and what this is all about. I pretended it was my friend, because if I had said it was me from the start, I felt I would have got a lot of sympathy answers and non-objective responses.

So yeah, I feel bad for having changed this module despite having no legitimate reason to! I had as much time as everyone else, but I simply ****ed up, and am now using a loophole. I just feel that I should have accepted the fact I messed up, and thereby accepted the fact that I will have to make do with a 2, rather than a 1.
Reply 34
Original post by Davebya
Ok well this brings me to say this....

It is me who has changed the module. I am the guy who is getting the first and what this is all about. I pretended it was my friend, because if I had said it was me from the start, I felt I would have got a lot of sympathy answers and non-objective responses.

So yeah, I feel bad for having changed this module despite having no legitimate reason to! I had as much time as everyone else, but I simply ****ed up, and am now using a loophole. I just feel that I should have accepted the fact I messed up, and thereby accepted the fact that I will have to make do with a 2, rather than a 1.

:bricks:
If you do the work and get a first then you deserve it. Stop worrying about it.
Life is full of tactics. Young lad's doing well.
Reply 37
Original post by betaglucowhat
If you do the work and get a first then you deserve it. Stop worrying about it.

Yeah but I did something which I'm not supposed to legitimately be allowed to do by dropping the module. I feel I've breached a university rule, thereby I have cheated, and therefore don't deserve my degree.
Original post by Davebya
Yeah but I did something which I'm not supposed to legitimately be allowed to do by dropping the module. I feel I've breached a university rule, thereby I have cheated, and therefore don't deserve my degree.

You need to learn the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. The university made a rule specifying an arbitrary length of time students could change modules to simplify their administrative burden, they didn't find it written on a stone tablet up Mount Sinai. They can apply or ignore it at their discretion.

Let's review. The university made an arbitrary rule about when students could change modules. You applied for an exemption from this rule. The university administrator and the head of your year agreed to grant you an exemption from this rule. You changed modules. You did the work. You earned a first. Congratulations. Pass Go and collect £200.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by betaglucowhat
You need to learn the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. The university made a rule specifying an arbitrary length of time students could change modules to simplify their administrative burden, they didn't find it written on a stone tablet up Mount Sinai. They can apply or ignore it at their discretion.

Let's review. The university made an arbitrary rule about when students could change modules. You applied for an exemption from this rule. The university administrator and the head of your year agreed to grant you an exemption from this rule. You changed modules. You did the work. You earned a first. Congratulations. Pass Go and collect £200.

Well then where's the limit of the letter of the law, or where's the line drawn, if that's the case? Let's say a student was allowed to hand in his assignment 5 weeks late and still got marked the same as everyone else, would that still be in the spirit of the law?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending