The Student Room Group

How can I act comfortable around guys?

I'm studying Physics at university next year and the male:female ratios aren't the best so I'll have to make friends with guys. I prefer guys' humour and I find them really entertaining to be around just that I've never made close friends with any. I'm really self conscious because I'm tall and I'm not skinny. I'd say I've got the same body type as Amy Schumer: http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/amy-schumer-anchorman-legend-continues-new-1FYkOC.jpg but I hate it. I just feel like I can fully relax around girls and be myself but I'm usually really self conscious around guys so my personality doesn't really get through. I get hit on by attractive guys so although I'm not really good looking, I'm not ugly. I'm just so used to immature guys at school being complete douchebags to girls who aren't really hot so that doesn't help either. I've made short term friends with guys abroad and stuff just that I never feel like I can sustain that type of thing with guys back home. It's probably that I'm so relaxed abroad :/ I mean, I was in Austria snowboarding last New Years and my dad decided to ditch me for skiing lessons and I made friends with these four guys and spent the whole week with them. It was never uncomfortable or anything like that and we really got along. Same thing happened on a volunteering trip to Argentina.

I'm just worried I'll screw it up because I'm so self conscious and worried about stupid stuff.
Well if history serves as an indicator, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending