The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBigJosh
According to graduate prospects - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9487434/Graduate-jobs-Best-languages-to-study.html?frame=2314788

10 - Portuguese
9 - Japanese
8 - Russian
7 - Cantonese
6 - Arabic
5 - Polish
4 - Mandarin
3 - Spanish
2 - French
1 - German

Personally I think, German and French should be lower, with Mandarin and Spanish taking the top 2 spots, maybe even Polish in the top 3.
Also, why no Indian languages, or Afrikaans etc?
Thoughts? :smile:

I agree, Spanish and Mandarin should be at the top. If you think about how many more Spanish and Mandarin speakers there in the world compared to French. I love French as a language but I think those two in today's world are more important.
Reply 2
Original post by pink pineapple
I agree, Spanish and Mandarin should be at the top. If you think about how many more Spanish and Mandarin speakers there in the world compared to French. I love French as a language but I think those two in today's world are more important.

:smile:
For me, its not even just about the amount of speakers - Spanish is spoken on 4 continents, and China is/will be the new global powerhouse - those languages will have so many benefits!
I also love French, and is the language of the diplomats! :smile:
Do you study languages at all?
Reply 3
Definitely gonna go for French then as my language to learn
(edited 10 years ago)
:smile:
For me, its not even just about the amount of speakers - Spanish is spoken on 4 continents, and China is/will be the new global powerhouse - those languages will have so many benefits!
I also love French, and is the language of the diplomats! :smile:
Do you study languages at all?

I know a bit of basic Spanish but I love to able to speak it to a better standard. I'd love to learn something a bit more unique, like Russian- I just love languages :love:
I did French at A-level and although I'm not going on to do languages at university, I'm hoping to continue with French as an extra class alongside my course. Although Spanish is probably more useful, I don't think it's as beautiful as French as a language, if you know what I mean.
The language to learn is whatever interests you. We only live once!
Reply 6
Original post by pink pineapple
I know a bit of basic Spanish but I love to able to speak it to a better standard. I'd love to learn something a bit more unique, like Russian- I just love languages :love:
I did French at A-level and although I'm not going on to do languages at university, I'm hoping to continue with French as an extra class alongside my course. Although Spanish is probably more useful, I don't think it's as beautiful as French as a language, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I get you :smile: Well you can also do French electives and/or night courses. I would also recommend Duolingo or Memrise to keep it ticking - keep it up, it will look amazing on a CV and make you so employable :smile:
I do French and Mandarin at university - so I 100 percent share your love for languages :smile:
I think Arabic should be first. Then people wouldn't be so ignorant of Islam. The question is entirely subjective, each to their own. :rolleyes:
Mandarin and Spanish should definitely be higher.
German should be lower, but not off the list.
Polish should be off the list - one mainly sees Polish speakers either in Poland, or in very tight-knit communities where they have settled.
I do think that Hindi should be on there - that is, if the country's economy bounces back and they manage to make some progress in clearing their debt. Urdu I suppose goes with Hindi - there are largely mutually intelligible anyway. Some even consider it a dialect of Hindi.
French should definitely not be off the list - though overtaken in number of speakers by the likes of Mandarin and Spanish, there is no doubt it is still a very important language.
And of course, English should be on the list (if it can) - it also still is a very important language.
Reply 9
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I think Arabic should be first. Then people wouldn't be so ignorant of Islam. The question is entirely subjective, each to their own. :rolleyes:

Not really a valid point in relation to learning languages and jobs. But I agree, Arabic certainly good to learn!
Reply 10
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Mandarin and Spanish should definitely be higher.
German should be lower, but not off the list.
Polish should be off the list - one mainly sees Polish speakers either in Poland, or in very tight-knit communities where they have settled.
I do think that Hindi should be on there - that is, if the country's economy bounces back and they manage to make some progress in clearing their debt. Urdu I suppose goes with Hindi - there are largely mutually intelligible anyway. Some even consider it a dialect of Hindi.
French should definitely not be off the list - though overtaken in number of speakers by the likes of Mandarin and Spanish, there is no doubt it is still a very important language.
And of course, English should be on the list (if it can) - it also still is a very important language.

I literally agree with everything here - a rarity of TSR! :biggrin:
Do you feel an Eastern European languages should be there :smile:
It's not about how many people speak the language, it's about how many people of a certain group you are most likely to meet during your life time/career.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by honeyandlemon
The language to learn is whatever interests you. We only live once!

Not in terms of education, in terms of personal interest though I agree. However, learning Catalan v Russian for example in attempt of finding a JOB...
Reply 13
According to graduate prospects - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9487434/Graduate-jobs-Best-languages-to-study.html?frame=2314788

10 - Portuguese
9 - Japanese
8 - Russian
7 - Cantonese
6 - Arabic
5 - Polish
4 - Mandarin
3 - Spanish
2 - French
1 - German

Personally I think, German and French should be lower, with Mandarin and Spanish taking the top 2 spots, maybe even Polish in the top 3.
Also, why no Indian languages, or Afrikaans etc?
Thoughts? :smile:

As an English-Afrikaans bilingual, I can safely say that Afrikaans is a pretty pointless language to learn.

But I do agree that Mandarin and Spanish should be much higher than French and German.
Reply 14
Spanish should be 1st
This is all obviously very subjective of course, but I do question the relative usefulness of Spanish (I say this as a near-fluent speaker, who has been employed for my Spanish skills in the past).

It is true that Spanish is the second most spoken language as a first language, but the majority of those speakers live in Latin America. Countries which the UK generally does not have much trade with, and a part of the world in which we have relatively limited influence. That's not to say that Spanish isn't useful, or doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, but the argument that it is spoken by x million speakers in 4 continents isn't really the most supportive one.

I wish I'd put more effort into learning Portuguese than Spanish- purely for the growing importance of Brazil (as well as an interest in Lusophone Africa).

Similarly, to those who question why Hindi isn't on the list- India is obviously an important trading partner, but India does business with the world in English. Furthermore, in non-Hindi speaking cities (which include important commercial centres such as Mumbai, Calcutta, Bangalore, Hyderabad etc.) there can be reluctance to speak Hindi. Again, that's not to say that learning Hindi couldn't be worthwhile or give some advantage in the jobs market, but it is not an essential or even highly sought after requirement for doing business with India.
(edited 10 years ago)
I literally agree with everything here - a rarity of TSR! :biggrin:
Do you feel an Eastern European languages should be there :smile:

Lol. Erm, yeah, Russian certainly deserves its place on the list - Russians do lots of business with others all over the world, so, wherever you are, it is still a very good language to know. And as well as being high on the number of speakers list, it is the lingua franca of the surrounding area too - Lithuania, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, you are likely to find someone who speaks Russian. (Word of warning if anyone attempts this though: Russian is the language of the former oppressor, so don't try and show off skill in the language - simply show/say that it's the only language you can communicate in, while in the country).
The other Eastern European/Slavic languages are of course useful in their own right, but they do not have a massive influence worldwide, which is why I think they shouldn't be in the list. That's not to say the situation will not change in the future.

Edit: Also, with the Russian language, you gain the amazing ability to communicate with Russian women. :drool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Cantonese??? Laughable.

Mandarin, Spanish and French are tops no question.
Reply 18
Original post by nenitak
Spanish should be 1st

Justification?
Reply 19
Original post by samleigh
As an English-Afrikaans bilingual, I can safely say that Afrikaans is a pretty pointless language to learn.

But I do agree that Mandarin and Spanish should be much higher than French and German.

Oh, great :smile: Thank you for that - excuse any ignorance but is there an 'African' language that everyone in Africa speaks?

Latest