The Student Room Group

Opinions on A-Level choices?

Hey there,
I'm in year 11 and soon I have to hand in my A-level choices for next year. At the moment I'm thinking of taking:
Maths
Further Maths
French
Economics
Art

And I don't know if that is a good combination or not! As you can see it's a pretty broad mix of arts and sciences (if you count maths as a science), partly because I don't really have a preference either way. I'd like to make sure I do subjects I enjoy, but I want to make sure I still have options for university!
Degrees I'm thinking about are:
Maths (or joint honours Maths and Statistics)
Economics
Architecture

I'm aiming for Oxbridge or Russell Group- and I know they don't like certain subjects like Art because they think they're 'soft'. I want to maximise my chances of getting into Oxbridge hut I don't want to forfeit studying my favourite subject...
What do you think?:smile:
Those subjects are fine for both the courses you're interested in and getting into top universities. While a subject like Art might not be considered as useful for a degree at Oxbridge than, say, Physics, it doesn't matter if you have a selection of other tough subjects. One or two subjects like Art/Psychology/Media is fine with 3 strong, traditional subjects. It's only when people have only 1, or even none, of these 'facilitating subjects' that it will disadvantage them.
Thank you! That's reassuring :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest