The Student Room Group

I am confused on what to do next with results day approaching, I need advice

I applied for Computer Science via UCAS with my predicted grades as A*A*A in A Level Maths, Computer science and Physics respectively. I ended up being rejected by my top 3 choices and accepted by my last 2. I am not really happy with going to my bottom 2 choices and I did not consider them as well as I should have when I first did my application. I also have 3 other issues, the first being that I wanted to study A-Level Further Maths but my sixth form did not offer this as an option, the second issue is that I really wanted to apply to the University of St Andrews but didn't and I am regretting that decision (They are also not available through clearing this year) and finally with how my UCAS application and academic year has gone, I'm not sure if I even want to study computer science anymore. As results day approaches, I see that I have 2 choices. The first choice is that I go through clearing and find a place. I'm mainly looking at computer science, maths and engineering but as mentioned earlier, I'm unsure on my which subject. My Second option is to take a gap year and redo my UCAS application, self studying Further maths along side a job to earn some form of income. I am against this as I'm not sure if a university would see this as a good use of time or not, or whether the results I am going to get will even be good enough to warrant me taking a gap year. I am mainly just looking for different personal experiences and opinions on what I should do because it is quite exhausting and straining trying to consider my options. I would also like to know if there's potentially a threshold result where I should or shouldn't consider taking a gap year Thanks for your help.
It sounds like whatever your results you might benefit from a gap year to think about what you want to study.

Have you looked into https://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry ? They're an amazing opportunity to get paid to work in STEM related work. Even if you realise it's something you don't want to do then that's a good use of your time (and better than starting a degree and then realising it was the wrong choice)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending