The Student Room Group

If you had a year in power- What changes/policy or actions would you make?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
UMS?
Public vote? Selection by select committee? A board of lawyers?

There are dozens of ways this could be done. None perfect, but all a lot more perfect than the lack of oversight we have at the moment.

With respect, I don't think you've demonstrated this "lack of oversight". We have an appeals system that has the possibility of appeals all the way up to the Supreme Court, and parliament having the final say if they disagree with any judgment of the Supreme Court.

Common law only exists in the gaps between statutory law, and the latter displaces and overrides the former. These gaps are usually areas where parliament simply does not have the time or inclination to come up with a new or different set of rules to the existing ones.

In theory yes, as Parliament has the power to legislate over the courts.

In theory? It does in practice. Primary legislation will override any other form of lawmaking. Parliament is sovereign, it can choose to do anything it likes with the courts.

Instead of having parliament passively wait for the 20-30 dubiously-shortlisted judgments to arrive, so they can overrule the ones they don't like, wouldn't it be better for parliament to actively and precisely legislate in the first place, meaning the courts would not have to create common law innovations or novel constructions on statutory language?

This all leaves aside the total and utter impracticability of your proposal. Deciding how to identify the precedent, what that encompasses, whether it attaches to a particular ratio, what that ratio is in each case, would require a case analysis (by further jurors above the supreme court, to prepare for parliament). That case analysis/summary would necessarily mean going beyond the ordinary meaning of the words of the judgment, and could result in parliament voting for/against something that isn't reflective of the actual judgment.

It would also create considerable injustice to retrospectively reverse appellate court judgments, litigants would have to wait a year for money they desperately need, or risk having to pay it back to the previously unsuccessful party. It would also be an absolute nightmare in terms of calculating and apportioning responsibility for legal costs between the parties, and would require further costs hearings after the parliamentary reversal, and consequently more litigation.

It would hugely increase uncertainty, in addition to the issues I mentioned above, lower courts may be hesitant to apply any appellate court judgement until a year had elapsed, lest they be reversed. If they do proceed and apply a particular case, and then parliament overturns it, then that judgment would be overturned too.

With respect, the proposal is a fantasy and really doesn't survive the cold light of day when looked at by someone who's even passingly familiar with the legal profession. To do all that for something that's not actually a problem in the first place? It sounds a bit like, "Something must be done. This is something, therefore it should be done".

In practice, and very often, Parliament does not even when the courts make judgements for which there is no public support.

As a law student, I see very little of what you're claiming. Can you please provide examples. I simply do not think there is evidence for the claim that there changes to the common law that parliament would like to enact but cannot because...?

Yes yes, I know all this and have heard it all before. My whole point is not that judges are ruling contrary to the will of parliament, but that they are ruling contrary to the will of the people.

The lack of public support if immaterial.

First, that lack usually arises from complete ignorance of even the existence of the subjects being adjudicated. Do you think that the disengagement of the public on a questions like the proper construction of CPR 36.1.4(6)(a), or the limits of the application of ex turpi causa non oritur actio has any actual bearing on the validity and appropriateness of a judgment on the subject?

To offer or withhold support, the public would actually have to understand the issues in question. Most people don't have the time, let alone the inclination, to do so. That's why we have a judiciary and a representative democracy, that's what we pay judges to do. If a judgement is made plainly contrary to law, that will be resolved on appeal.

Secondly, the law is not supposed to be a popularity contest, and it is strange that you are asserting judges should rule according to public opinion. My view is that they should rule according to law.

The problem is that the judges are not accountable to the people

I don't see that as being a problem. I much prefer this system to the American system of elected judges and political appointments to the judiciary.

I get the feeling that you perceive judges just make things up as they go along; a kind of insoucient exercise of personal whim. In fact, when you get to the level of the High Court and the appelllate courts, the cases are usually highly technical and the factual and legal matrices used by judges are fairly standardised.

For example, take a look at the case below. Do you think an average member of the public would be able to get their head around it? Would they even have the inclination?

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2014/23.html

People become High Court judges because they have the intellectual capacity to deal with reams and reams of complex detail, the vast majority of people simply do not.

I would also again request that you provide some examples of outrageous judgments? I feel that you may be able to develop and refine your argument somewhat if you had some examples.

So when judges make judgements, the people cannot influence this other than through parliament. Unless parliament chooses to intervene (ie. there is sufficient political will) the people never get their say.

It is right and proper that people cannot influence the courts except through parliament. Judges are hired to be impartial arbiters of the law, otherwise you as well just turn it into X-Factor justice and have phone votes on the outcome of Supreme Court cases.

By conceding that intervention will usually only occur where there is sufficient political will, are you not conceding that there is necessarily a link between public opinion and the law as the courts practice it?

All I can see here is that you have a quibble about the way parliament intervenes in the common law (though I have seen no case examples), and consequently have proposed a system that would cause utter chaos in the court system for almost no actual gain. Surely there is a better way to proceed? Perhaps investing in more education about the law for the general public

I am committed to a much smaller state but do not agree that things such as highways and the army could not be funded via flat taxes on personal and company income. I could easily see 35-40% tax rates.

So you are proposing substantial tax increases for a significant number of lower-income people? That hardly seems fair.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by TurboCretin
I'd deport excessively idealistic leftist students.

Yes, they should put all of their faith in the free market which solves all of the worlds problems...

Saying that, deport The Guardian drones...
Original post by ennahaspatience
i don't think anyone's future should be determined Year 9, that is way too early

Finland already does something like that about two years latter, two years isn't that large of a gap. Plus it already happens here (just to lesser extent) with the higher/foundation split.
Original post by MostUncivilised
With respect, I don't think you've demonstrated this "lack of oversight". We have an appeals system that has the possibility of appeals all the way up to the Supreme Court, and parliament having the final say if they disagree with any judgment of the Supreme Court.

Common law only exists in the gaps between statutory law, and the latter displaces and overrides the former. These gaps are usually areas where parliament simply does not have the time or inclination to come up with a new or different set of rules to the existing ones.

In theory? It does in practice. Primary legislation will override any other form of lawmaking. Parliament is sovereign, it can choose to do anything it likes with the courts.

Instead of having parliament passively wait for the 20-30 dubiously-shortlisted judgments to arrive, so they can overrule the ones they don't like, wouldn't it be better for parliament to actively and precisely legislate in the first place, meaning the courts would not have to create common law innovations or novel constructions on statutory language?

This all leaves aside the total and utter impracticability of your proposal. Deciding how to identify the precedent, what that encompasses, whether it attaches to a particular ratio, what that ratio is in each case, would require a case analysis (by further jurors above the supreme court, to prepare for parliament). That case analysis/summary would necessarily mean going beyond the ordinary meaning of the words of the judgment, and could result in parliament voting for/against something that isn't reflective of the actual judgment.

It would also create considerable injustice to retrospectively reverse appellate court judgments, litigants would have to wait a year for money they desperately need, or risk having to pay it back to the previously unsuccessful party. It would also be an absolute nightmare in terms of calculating and apportioning responsibility for legal costs between the parties, and would require further costs hearings after the parliamentary reversal, and consequently more litigation.

It would hugely increase uncertainty, in addition to the issues I mentioned above, lower courts may be hesitant to apply any appellate court judgement until a year had elapsed, lest they be reversed. If they do proceed and apply a particular case, and then parliament overturns it, then that judgment would be overturned too.

With respect, the proposal is a fantasy and really doesn't survive the cold light of day when looked at by someone who's even passingly familiar with the legal profession. To do all that for something that's not actually a problem in the first place? It sounds a bit like, "Something must be done. This is something, therefore it should be done".

As a law student, I see very little of what you're claiming. Can you please provide examples. I simply do not think there is evidence for the claim that there changes to the common law that parliament would like to enact but cannot because...?

The lack of public support if immaterial.

First, that lack usually arises from complete ignorance of even the existence of the subjects being adjudicated. Do you think that the disengagement of the public on a questions like the proper construction of CPR 36.1.4(6)(a), or the limits of the application of ex turpi causa non oritur actio has any actual bearing on the validity and appropriateness of a judgment on the subject?

To offer or withhold support, the public would actually have to understand the issues in question. Most people don't have the time, let alone the inclination, to do so. That's why we have a judiciary and a representative democracy, that's what we pay judges to do. If a judgement is made plainly contrary to law, that will be resolved on appeal.

Secondly, the law is not supposed to be a popularity contest, and it is strange that you are asserting judges should rule according to public opinion. My view is that they should rule according to law.

I don't see that as being a problem. I much prefer this system to the American system of elected judges and political appointments to the judiciary.

I get the feeling that you perceive judges just make things up as they go along; a kind of insoucient exercise of personal whim. In fact, when you get to the level of the High Court and the appelllate courts, the cases are usually highly technical and the factual and legal matrices used by judges are fairly standardised.

For example, take a look at the case below. Do you think an average member of the public would be able to get their head around it? Would they even have the inclination?

People become High Court judges because they have the intellectual capacity to deal with reams and reams of complex detail, the vast majority of people simply do not.

I would also again request that you provide some examples of outrageous judgments? I feel that you may be able to develop and refine your argument somewhat if you had some examples.

It is right and proper that people cannot influence the courts except through parliament. Judges are hired to be impartial arbiters of the law, otherwise you as well just turn it into X-Factor justice and have phone votes on the outcome of Supreme Court cases.

By conceding that intervention will usually only occur where there is sufficient political will, are you not conceding that there is necessarily a link between public opinion and the law as the courts practice it?

All I can see here is that you have a quibble about the way parliament intervenes in the common law (though I have seen no case examples), and consequently have proposed a system that would cause utter chaos in the court system for almost no actual gain. Surely there is a better way to proceed? Perhaps investing in more education about the law for the general public

So you are proposing substantial tax increases for a significant number of lower-income people? That hardly seems fair.

1. You simply disagree with me. That's fine and all, but this is what I would do if I was in power for a year. I do think that there is a problem with lack of public influence over judge made law and naturally as a lawyer you don't. Feel free not to legislate similarly in your proposals but to be honest life is too short to defend myself over the internet to a law enthusiast.

2. Yes, I am. Flat taxes are the only fair taxes, by their percentage nature.
1. You simply disagree with me. That's fine and all, but this is what I would do if I was in power for a year. I do think that there is a problem with lack of public influence over judge made law and naturally as a lawyer you don't. Feel free not to legislate similarly in your proposals but to be honest life is too short to defend myself over the internet to a law enthusiast.

2. Yes, I am. Flat taxes are the only fair taxes, by their percentage nature.

Flat taxes are not fair, not to the working class anyways.
Original post by Davij038
Yes, they should put all of their faith in the free market which solves all of the worlds problems...

Saying that, deport The Guardian drones...

Thanks for the straw man.
~ Tax the rich higher
~ Disarm weapons of mass destruction
~ Stop government cuts to the welfare state
~ Abolish private education and put more money into state schools
~ Abolish bedroom tax
~ Stop privatisation of major industries and make them publicly owned
~ Stop selling bottled water.
~ Abolish the Monarchy and reduce the power of the House of Lords
~ Reunite Northern Ireland with the rest of Ireland
(edited 10 years ago)
I would ban

(a) Fat people who really are pretty disgusting

(b) Kids on buses fiddling with / listening to / talking on : mobile phones.
Original post by MostUncivilised

Thank you. Democracy isn't a silver bullet for injustice, especially without a well-educated population and accurate information.

Truth isn't amenable to popular opinion.
Original post by swanderfeild
Finland already does something like that about two years latter, two years isn't that large of a gap. Plus it already happens here (just to lesser extent) with the higher/foundation split.

I really don't like the higher and foundation split, especially for English Language, it is just very lazy for me. It doesn't really mean that they will have to go down to the employment root though (if they can get a C), they can still go to lower ranking university or get really great A-level results and go to a good university. I think doing that will limit the students and that is not really fair. Didn't they basically do that with O-levels/CSE?
Original post by MichGaughan97
~ Tax the rich higher
~ Abolish bedroom tax

Even if most of the people of Northern Ireland don't want to be reunited? (I don't know IRL if they do or do not, just asking)

What would people do in emergencies when water supplies are cut of?

WMD's provide safety.
Original post by Are you Shaw?
Flat taxes are not fair, not to the working class anyways.

Why not?
Abolish the Monarchy
Scotland to become an independent country
All illicit drugs to be legalised
Introduce the STV voting system for political elections

That's four things at the top of my head
Reply 73
~ Tax the rich higher
~ Abolish bedroom tax

Why would you stop selling bottled water?
Original post by Rakas21
Why would you stop selling bottled water?

I feel that exploiting something which is essential to survive, water, to make profit. All water should be free anywhere.
1. You simply disagree with me

Disagree with you based on facts on logic, not a vague feeling that common law is being made against the "will of the people".

Your inability to cite even a single case with which you disagree is fairly damning to your argument.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Even if most of the people of Northern Ireland don't want to be reunited?

Most Protestants want to stay in the UK. Most Catholics used to want reunification but in recent years they don't care that much any more because they've now largely achieved political rights and social equality within Northern Ireland.
Reply 77
~ Tax the rich higher
~ Abolish bedroom tax

You've lost my vote.
Original post by meenu89
You've lost my vote.

No problem
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Even if most of the people of Northern Ireland don't want to be reunited? (I don't know IRL if they do or do not, just asking)

What would people do in emergencies when water supplies are cut of?

WMD's provide safety.

It would of course be a referendum, I think that the majority actually want to stay in the UK but I believe they should have the choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending