The Student Room Group

Marking boycott

Any ideas when this will be solved? We just got our semester 2 results but I still have results for 2 modules (out of 4) missing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's ongoing. Some staff are taking part, some aren't.
Original post by Anonymous
It's ongoing. Some staff are taking part, some aren't.

So any ideas when it will end (action likely this has to have an end date before they ballet again).
Reply 3
The union was re-ballotted recently and the mandate lasts 6 months.
Reply 4
Some universities have contingencies for this very scenario, particularly for students due to graduate.
Some universities have contingencies for this very scenario, particularly for students due to graduate.

I know mine does, but I'd still like to know fairly quickly how I actually did, especially if I do badly on one. Don't really want to pick a module and then find out a month later that I did terrible in the prerequisite so probably shouldn't have taken it.

Also, the policy that the uni has implemented for graduating students is really unfair. Seems this entire situation is a mess, with student suffering despite not having the power to change anything.
(edited 11 months ago)
So still no sign of the MAB coming to an end, and many students only just finding out what this means for them.

Personally, I've had enough of the UCU. Constant strikes, demanding unis stay online during covid despite society getting back to normal, and now this boycott. Utterly disgraceful if you ask me. It is clear they are happy to throw students under the bus to get what they want. They simply do not care about the impact this is having on thousands of students.
Original post by Uni_student3132
So still no sign of the MAB coming to an end, and many students only just finding out what this means for them.

Personally, I've had enough of the UCU. Constant strikes, demanding unis stay online during covid despite society getting back to normal, and now this boycott. Utterly disgraceful if you ask me. It is clear they are happy to throw students under the bus to get what they want. They simply do not care about the impact this is having on thousands of students.

Fed up with this whole situation by now. I just got told that our graduation is cancelled as they can't confirm whether or not we passed due to too many missing marks. They have absolutely no regard for the real impact this is having on students.
Reply 9
Original post by istolethecookiez
Fed up with this whole situation by now. I just got told that our graduation is cancelled as they can't confirm whether or not we passed due to too many missing marks. They have absolutely no regard for the real impact this is having on students.

So sorry to hear about this, I can only imagine how devastated you must be. Some universities are going ahead with the ceremony despite not having marked everything yet, I think Durham are giving out 'certificates of excellence', just so that the students can at least be formally recognised for all the work they have done. I also think they will all be marked eventually just later than would be expected. That doesn't help those who are moving on to post grad education or even jobs where they need to show evidence of their grades but hopefully many will be understanding as you won't be the only in this situation.
I also don't understand how these marking boycotts are really impacting the universities negatively. Unis still get our money and are also choosing to not pay striking staff. How are these strikes and boycotts impacting unis apart from getting a bit of bad press? Therefore, what reason do unis have to change anything?

The only people this action seems to be hurting are students who can't do anything about the reasons why staff are striking.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 11
I also don't understand how these marking boycotts are really impacting the universities negatively. Unis still get our money and are also choosing to not pay striking staff. How are these strikes and boycotts impacting unis apart from getting a bit of bad press? Therefore, what reason do unis have to change anything?

The only people this action seems to be hurting are students who can't do anything about the reasons why staff are striking.

Turn your ire towards the administrations rather than the staff and you have your answer.
I am still waiting on my TMA02 mark, which was submitted in April. It is now July. I have received my TMA03 result but not one for the previous tma. Why is this? I need the feedback as I am starting the prep for my project soon to see where I am going wrong and what I need to fix.

And despite these protests, it is almost certain that absolutely nothing will change. From COVID, to strikes, to there being no affordable accommodation, to these boycotts, uni has been massively disappointing.
And despite these protests, it is almost certain that absolutely nothing will change. From COVID, to strikes, to there being no affordable accommodation, to these boycotts, uni has been massively disappointing.

Agreed. my daughter is waiting on 3 out of her 9 physics modules to progress onto 4th year and its very frustrating for her because shes on borderline 2:2 / 2:1 and needs 2:1 to qualify.
After two months since results day and I finally got my stats module grade back. Just waiting for one module now.
Original post by Ghostlady
Agreed. my daughter is waiting on 3 out of her 9 physics modules to progress onto 4th year and its very frustrating for her because shes on borderline 2:2 / 2:1 and needs 2:1 to qualify.

Shes got through to 4th year. had it confirmed by department, but still waiting on the 3 unmarked modules.
I have an MSc offer at KCL, my current uni (royal holloway) need to provide me with: provisional degree certificate, official letter on header paper, and a transcript they deem final. I have one module unmarked (even taking i get 0/100 I would have the grades for my MSc).

For the last month I have been trying to get my department(EPMS) to provide me with these 3 documents, with no success. They don't reply to my emails, and when calling the office, they tell me to wait to the end of the week for a response, still no responses ...

So I raised a formal complaint with my Uni, long story short "Academic Investigations team will be taking no further action at this stage", they have just forwarded my complaint to the EPMS manager, I don't know what to expect, and there is only another month until the deadline (and start) of the MSc course.

What do I do now, I've been actively trying to get updates/help for a month, with absolutely no progress from my department?!
I have an MSc offer at KCL, my current uni (royal holloway) need to provide me with: provisional degree certificate, official letter on header paper, and a transcript they deem final. I have one module unmarked (even taking i get 0/100 I would have the grades for my MSc).

For the last month I have been trying to get my department(EPMS) to provide me with these 3 documents, with no success. They don't reply to my emails, and when calling the office, they tell me to wait to the end of the week for a response, still no responses ...

So I raised a formal complaint with my Uni, long story short "Academic Investigations team will be taking no further action at this stage", they have just forwarded my complaint to the EPMS manager, I don't know what to expect, and there is only another month until the deadline (and start) of the MSc course.

What do I do now, I've been actively trying to get updates/help for a month, with absolutely no progress from my department?!

I'm in the same position. Waiting on grades from my previous uni and have a conditional offer for my MSc. I'm not hopeful at the moment as I'm due to start in a month and my new Uni want my results by 10 September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending