The Student Room Group

How to have 300 grams of carbohydrates per day.

What foods have a high carbohydrate content. I tend to eat pasta, rice, oats and bread but i want to increase my carb intake.
One bowl of Oats has 30g
75 g of pasta has 74.5 grams
I dont know the rest but i usually eat 4 meals a day. Breaksfast, lunch and two meals when i get back home from college. What else is high in carbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by nocoolusername
What foods have a high carbohydrate content. I tend to eat pasta, rice, oats and bread but i want to increase my carb intake.
One bowl of Oats has 30g
75 g of pasta has 74.5 grams
I dont know the rest but i usually eat 4 meals a day. Breaksfast, lunch and two meals when i get back home from college. What else is high in carbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you just need to eat more

I'm doing 200g of pasta in a sitting
A cup of oats for my breakfast shake

etc

but it gets boring so I'm going to invest in a blender and drink all my carbs by blending oats
It's normally protein increase people need to increase when the look at their diet :lol: How is your protein and fat intake, out of interest?
Reply 3
Carbs make you soft and pudgy, cut them out. You should be aiming for 300g of protein per day.
Reply 4
Original post by Nichrome
Carbs make you soft and pudgy, cut them out. You should be aiming for 300g of protein per day.

No, they don't.

Too many calories and no heavy lifting make you soft and pudgy.

Arguably going keto is the best way to get rippedshredded but suggesting that anyone try and put on any significant amount of lean mass and/or gain significant amounts of strength whilst going low/no carb is silly.
Reply 5

well that's just wrong
Reply 6

Sorry, but you only really need around 0.8g/lb of bodyweight and that is on the more cautious side.

According to the most up-to-date research, it doesn't really matter where you get your extra calories from in terms of body composition or what times you have them. Adding carbs, which you have easy access to at almost all times and is cheaper, is a good way to add calories. But healthy fats are far easier to eat more of. 300g of carbs per day really isn't that many. It's only 1200 calories. Add 150g of protein, which is 600 calories, then 100g of fat, which is 900 calories, and you've got to 2700 calories. It's best to weigh yourself every 2 weeks and if you are gaining 0.25kg a week as a beginner and training well, you won't get fat.

I'd suggest you have lots of grains/legumes, along with fruit and veg for the sake of your health and you can top that up with a high calorie shake for as many calories as you want with full fat milk/yoghurt, peanut butter, oats or whatever else to add to taste/calories. Get that down instead of water and you can hit 1000 calories in 600ml easily. Probably best to have at the end of the day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for clearing up that misconception for me guys :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks for clearing up that misconception for me guys :smile:

I was not expecting a gracious reply!
Reply 9
oats, rice, pie, bread, pop tarts, nido...

that is where i get my carbs from

eg today I've had

10am
x2 150g steak pies

7pm
400g of cooked rice
3 pieces of chicken

11pm
500ml milk
50g nido
100g pea nut butter
100g oats
50g whey

Total: 4000kcal, 180g protein, 300g carbs, 180g fat [approx]

Today's treat: extra pie/ chicken instead of more oats, hence why my fats are so high.
Doesn't matter as my body fat percentage is low, and i gain weight at a steady pace.
(edited 10 years ago)
my mate who is a natural competitive bodybuilder has worked up to over 500 carbs a day. He has just started contenst prep. It is going to be easy for him, as he will still have plenty of carbohyrdrates when nearing the final stages of preperation.

Quick Reply

Latest