The Student Room Group

Hours for entire A-Level course?

How many hours total over the entire A-level course should be dedicated per A-Level if you have the intent of getting A* grades?

This would be including classroom time, studying time and other forms of study dedicated per A-Level. I've seen that exam boards recommend 350 hours to cover the entire course, but was unsure if that was just classroom time.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply 1
Original post by Gabriel000
How many hours total over the entire A-level course should be dedicated per A-Level if you have the intent of getting A* grades?

This would be including classroom time, studying time and other forms of study dedicated per A-Level. I've seen that exam boards recommend 350 hours to cover the entire course, but was unsure if that was just classroom time.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I do five hours a week (per lesson) for classroom time, so over 180 days (or 36 weeks) that’s 180 hours in a year, and 360 over two years, though assuming the course will be done by the third half term (taking away 12 weeks), that would be around 300 hours. This isn’t including study time, revision time, etc.
I did A level Ancient History as a private candidate, entirely on my own.
Received a grade A, i put in 500 hours all told including revision.
May not be typical due to high level of reading required and i did not have other subjects to worry about.
Worked full time at the same time with overtime and family to look after.

Quick Reply

Latest