The Student Room Group

Music while studying, your thoughts

Hey all!

I was just curious, does anybody here listen to music whilst they study, if so what do you listen too?

Personally if I'm somewhere that I find difficult to focus (In respects to noise) I tend to throw on some Mozart or Tchaikovski.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I usually listen to music unless I'm trying to learnt something that needs like my absolute attention. When I am listening to music it's Rock :smile:
I can't do it. I can just about cope with something very, very mild like rain ambience but nothing more. If it's got any lyrics or anything but very soft and quiet instruments, it's a no.
Original post by Authenticmg
Hey all!

I was just curious, does anybody here listen to music whilst they study, if so what do you listen too?

Personally if I'm somewhere that I find difficult to focus (In respects to noise) I tend to throw on some Mozart or Tchaikovski.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! No matter whether I'm somewhere noisy or quiet, I tend to put music on. It stops other noises from distracting me and somehow stops my mind wandering.
Reply 4
Original post by MidnightDream
I usually listen to music unless I'm trying to learnt something that needs like my absolute attention. When I am listening to music it's Rock :smile:

Ah I'd love to be able to listen to rock. But it's too stimulating, I always get carried away from my studies when I listen to It xD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
yeah definitely! I have it as quiet as it can be, it stops my mind from thinking of other things and certain rhythms etc help me to remember what I was studying :smile: heavy metal, rock, trance anything I'll listen to. but if it's too loud it overtakes my thoughts haha :smile:
Reply 6
I can listen to music, it's better if it has few words though. Also, I can't if I really need to think. Music makes everything so much better.

I made a revision playlist on spotify, so I listen to it when I revise and therefore hopefully remember stuff when I listen to the songs again.
Reply 7
Do for some subjects but for more mathematical subjects i dont
Reply 8
I use music to revise sometimes but I end up hating good songs because they remind me of revision. :smile:
Yep music all the way! Helps me concentrate and stops me thinking about random irelevant stuff whilst revising. Has to be classical though, beethoven all the way!
Music gives me motivation, makes me enjoy it and not just get bored and go watch TV

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, all thr time, really helps :biggrin:

I normally start off with some.ambient stuff like Burial and Aphex Twin, then progress to minimal like James Blake, and end up listening to some liquid DNB or hip hop :smile: I have like a whole revision playlist :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I listen to noughties hits because they will always be associated with my childhood rather than revision, if I listen to my fav songs they can get ruined because of the association.
Reply 13
only mild coffee shop music
Always stick in some headphones with some classic rock - it blocks out other students :biggrin:
Reply 15
I think that it does distract me slightly, but I become more productive because I can work for longer, like I could probably work for 40 minutes before I got distracted without music but I might be able to work slightly less productively for an hour or more, meaning that I'm more productive in the long term, if you get what I mean?

However, I can never listen to music when I'm doing maths
Original post by ahmad94
I use music to revise sometimes but I end up hating good songs because they remind me of revision. :smile:

Same here.

I tend to listen to the radio or spotify top 100 while studying. Distracts me less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I listen to an artist called Nujabes he has some really relaxed music awesome for me when I revise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending