The Student Room Group

not happy with my life. feel directionless.

i'm turning 25 next year, graduated with a ba in media studies some years ago, now part-time employed. the job's fine but i feel very "fresh" in a seasoned company and not sure if i'm really liked there. the pay isn't good but the job might roll on to full-time.

i live with my dysfunctional family which i don't like but i can't afford to move out elsewhere. the

i have no talents or skills really, i used to be a writer but got burnout and ****ed it up. i want to learn something new but feel too old or not smart enough. i don't have money to buy classes. i just want a job that pays enough so i can move out, be independent and have some sense of fulfilment in myself. i feel worthless as if i'm just watching my life go past me.

it sounds like a bunch of excuses but i work, exercise, read a bit (articles, books), love music and culture but i don't feel comfortable writing anymore. i like photography, i take photos on a point and shoot camera but it's an expensive hobby and i don't know how to turn into a freelance career?

any thoughts or advice. i feel alone talking about this while my peers are more accomplished.
Original post by Anonymous
i'm turning 25 next year, graduated with a ba in media studies some years ago, now part-time employed. the job's fine but i feel very "fresh" in a seasoned company and not sure if i'm really liked there. the pay isn't good but the job might roll on to full-time.

i live with my dysfunctional family which i don't like but i can't afford to move out elsewhere. the

i have no talents or skills really, i used to be a writer but got burnout and ****ed it up. i want to learn something new but feel too old or not smart enough. i don't have money to buy classes. i just want a job that pays enough so i can move out, be independent and have some sense of fulfilment in myself. i feel worthless as if i'm just watching my life go past me.

it sounds like a bunch of excuses but i work, exercise, read a bit (articles, books), love music and culture but i don't feel comfortable writing anymore. i like photography, i take photos on a point and shoot camera but it's an expensive hobby and i don't know how to turn into a freelance career?

any thoughts or advice. i feel alone talking about this while my peers are more accomplished.

Hi there :smile:

Sounds like you're in a bit of a rut and struggling to get out. And are consequently focusing on more negatives than positives.
It sounds like you're still engaging with things you enjoy, like reading and music. Maybe in some free time you could try some new activities, like new crafts or different types of photography, to see if there is anything out there that you might want to pursue further.

You're 25, which is still young! I understand the mundane feeling of the normal, everyday cycle - especially with a job that doesn't feel like your dream career. I think it ight be a nice idea for you to write down and map out all the things you enjoy, what you would like to do or achieve, where you'd like to go, and see if you can create a plan of action. It can feel a bit awkward or cringey, but I find looking at everything that's on my mind physically can help me to clear my head. You could maybe put a time stamp on when you would ideally like to move out, and ways you could achieve that.

If you're wanting to work freelance, this may take some time to get your work up and running. But if you take the time to plan and prepare while working at your current job, you may find that you can hold you job and do some freelance work at the same time.

It might take a bit of trial and error, and patience to get yourself motivated again - it's not necessarily just a 'flip of a switch' thing to do. But if you take some time each day to plan where you'd like to get yourself to, you might start to feel like you can achieve your plans.

You're definitely not alone in your situation. There are loads of people out there who may be feeling like they're 'stuck' and don't quite know where they want to go next, so try not to feel isolated by this feeling. I'm sure some of your peers who may seem like they have everything worked out, also have a similar feeling sometimes.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas of what you could try to help.

Best of luck
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Hi. Have you thought about doing a bit of voluntary work, say in a charity shop or a soup kitchen? You don't need to commit to lots of hours each week. You would meet people ( Both volunteers and service users) from maybe a different background to yourself. It might widen your horizons, give you extra confidence, take you out of your comfort zone, and make new friends. P.S. A reference from a supervisor where you volunteered always looks impressive !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending