The Student Room Group

Any musicians here?

Hi!

Sorry about this and I know this sounds stupid but I wasted this half term trying to revise. My attempt at revision was most unsuccessful. Meanwhile I completely forgot that I have a woodwind competition in 4 days and as a result I've done little music practise. Just to clarify, I don't want/expect to win but I don't want to screw up either. I'm told that I should have mastered the piece by now. To any musicians, do you think I'll still be able to do well in the competition

I hade my drumkit exam and my singing exam the exact same day, wasn't stressed but everyone was like you have not practiced at all so "good luck". Turns out I didn't need it; although I hadn't practiced my drumkit pieces or my singing piece, I got a solid and that's all because I didn't stress too much and though, you know what, I can do this. Oh yeah, And I turned up earlier to exam to practice in room to make me familiarize myself with the pieces.

Point; do not stress. You will do great. I have a ton of mates who did **** because they were nervous even though they are miles better than me. This one friend, whose an absolute brilliant drummist (I am nothing compared to him) got a C because he was too nervous. This other friend; she also got a B for a similar thing in her guitar exam even though she's immensely talented. It's all about believing in yourself and telling yourself you're prepared.

Have faith, practice and don't worry...because every little things gonna be alright :smile:

Good luck :yy::getmecoat::yy::getmecoat::yy::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by stuffsgrooveyman
I hade my drumkit exam and my singing exam the exact same day, wasn't stressed but everyone was like you have not practiced at all so "good luck". Turns out I didn't need it; although I hadn't practiced my drumkit pieces or my singing piece, I got a solid and that's all because I didn't stress too much and though, you know what, I can do this. Oh yeah, And I turned up earlier to exam to practice in room to make me familiarize myself with the pieces.

Point; do not stress. You will do great. I have a ton of mates who did **** because they were nervous even though they are miles better than me. This one friend, whose an absolute brilliant drummist (I am nothing compared to him) got a C because he was too nervous. This other friend; she also got a B for a similar thing in her guitar exam even though she's immensely talented. It's all about believing in yourself and telling yourself you're prepared.

Have faith, practice and don't worry...because every little things gonna be alright :smile:

Good luck :yy::getmecoat::yy::getmecoat::yy::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Archurus23
Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome, wow that was a bunch of cringey/sloppy stuff wasn't it? Hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi!

Sorry about this and I know this sounds stupid but I wasted this half term trying to revise. My attempt at revision was most unsuccessful. Meanwhile I completely forgot that I have a woodwind competition in 4 days and as a result I've done little music practise. Just to clarify, I don't want/expect to win but I don't want to screw up either. I'm told that I should have mastered the piece by now. To any musicians, do you think I'll still be able to do well in the competition

What instrument and what pieces are you playing? If you practice efficiently you can still do well, just do concentrated practice on the really hard bars (practice them many many times in a row) and leave the parts you can play :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Flauta
What instrument and what pieces are you playing? If you practice efficiently you can still do well, just do concentrated practice on the really hard bars (practice them many many times in a row) and leave the parts you can play :smile:

I play the flute. The piece is no.3 in tango etudes by Astor Piazolla

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I play the flute. The piece is no.3 in tango etudes by Astor Piazolla

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never heard that piece before, listening to it now and it's beautiful, thanks for that I'll have to add it to my wishlist :redface: Can't offer any other advice other than to listen to various interpretations of it on youtube, best of luck with the competition!
Reply 7
Original post by Flauta
I've never heard that piece before, listening to it now and it's beautiful, thanks for that I'll have to add it to my wishlist :redface: Can't offer any other advice other than to listen to various interpretations of it on youtube, best of luck with the competition!

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I play 5 instruments including the flute. Though I've had deadlines in a sense for GCSE and concerts I can't read music/self taught so I wouldn't know about concerts or ABRSM exams. But I do think it is about how much you love the piece and how much you can familiarise yourself with every nuance and ornament in your head so it's mostly about you executing the nice dynamics and stuff that makes a Performance. If i'mm not consumed by a piece and having it go around my head all night it can take months to learn and play with flair/expression as opposed to hours with something I'm totally obsessing over. It also helps to hear multiple versions of performances so you can differentiate the voice you choose to present the piece with.. I'm no professional. Just my 2c
Reply 9
Original post by Little Wolf Taima
I play 5 instruments including the flute. Though I've had deadlines in a sense for GCSE and concerts I can't read music/self taught so I wouldn't know about concerts or ABRSM exams. But I do think it is about how much you love the piece and how much you can familiarise yourself with every nuance and ornament in your head so it's mostly about you executing the nice dynamics and stuff that makes a Performance. If i'mm not consumed by a piece and having it go around my head all night it can take months to learn and play with flair/expression as opposed to hours with something I'm totally obsessing over. It also helps to hear multiple versions of performances so you can differentiate the voice you choose to present the piece with.. I'm no professional. Just my 2c

Thank you. I just want to do well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

Yeah sure just go it hardcore from now. I had a classical guitar comp and won the masters cup or sumin when a couple of days beforehand my teacher was considering pulling me out of it because I was crap at the piece. My friend who was one of the people I was up against was not happy for a few days after though.

What do you play? I play the clarinet.:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by StrangestThings
Yeah sure just go it hardcore from now. I had a classical guitar comp and won the masters cup or sumin when a couple of days beforehand my teacher was considering pulling me out of it because I was crap at the piece. My friend who was one of the people I was up against was not happy for a few days after though.

What do you play? I play the clarinet.:smile:

Flute :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. I just want to do well

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Guess listening to as many interpretations as you can is still applicable and basically trying to eat sleep and breathe it... But ultimately what matters is your passion. What you bring tote musicand how performing in this contest will make you feel.'i wish you the best as luck as I'd be scared to do such as thing but most importantly hope this will bring you happiness x
Reply 13
Original post by Little Wolf Taima
I Guess listening to as many interpretations as you can is still applicable and basically trying to eat sleep and breathe it... But ultimately what matters is your passion. What you bring tote musicand how performing in this contest will make you feel.'i wish you the best as luck as I'd be scared to do such as thing but most importantly hope this will bring you happiness x

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I tried playing it once and felt really ill... it is a strange but wonderous instrument. You totally have to learn how to irish dance.

Anyways, good luck :smile: let us know how you get on. :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by StrangestThings
I tried playing it once and felt really ill... it is a strange but wonderous instrument. You totally have to learn how to irish dance.

Anyways, good luck :smile: let us know how you get on. :wink:

Well the concert's on Wednesday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest