The Student Room Group

E cigarettes - Advice Please !

Hi everyone,
I'm a 19 year old guy who has recently given up smoking tobacco. Since I was 16 I smoked around 20 cigarettes a day but just over a month ago I decided to give up. since the 1st of February i've not smoked one cigarette, but I have been using Shisha pens E cigs.

I did think that these were harmless until yesterday a mate of mine told me they are as harmful as tobacco. Is this true ? What are the drawbacks of eciggs ?I don't want to give up one bad habit for another. Any advice on giving up smoking greatly appreciated
e cigarettes are good in theory but they can still cause elevated blood pressure , greater chance of heart attacks , cause an increasing addiction , AND they still have tobacco in them.

no one is sure what the effects of them are - they're still new and anything could go wrong with them and affect your health. they are NOT FDA regulated and tobacco contents can be the same if not more than a normal cigarette

you have essentially given up nicotine and that is it
Poster above, you mean smoking not nicotine surely? There is nicotine in them.

OP all you're doing is prolonging your nicotine addiction by using them as you will do with all nicotine replacement therapy, patches, inhalator etc.

I don't know about them being worse than cigarettes as they are still new but they aren't safe either.

I post it in every quitting smoking related thread but if you want to quit I recommend this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0718194551

Ridiculous reviews.
Reply 3
This in today's news.
Reply 4
Original post by Wilfred Little
Poster above, you mean smoking not nicotine surely? There is nicotine in them.

OP all you're doing is prolonging your nicotine addiction by using them as you will do with all nicotine replacement therapy, patches, inhalator etc.

I don't know about them being worse than cigarettes as they are still new but they aren't safe either.

I post it in every quitting smoking related thread but if you want to quit I recommend this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0718194551

Ridiculous reviews.

Original post by hotliketea
e cigarettes are good in theory but they can still cause elevated blood pressure , greater chance of heart attacks , cause an increasing addiction , AND they still have tobacco in them.

no one is sure what the effects of them are - they're still new and anything could go wrong with them and affect your health. they are NOT FDA regulated and tobacco contents can be the same if not more than a normal cigarette

you have essentially given up nicotine and that is it

They are designed with the purpose in mind of easing one off nicotine completely. That's why there are non-nicotine ones available. The flavour of the e-cigs often masks the nicotine hit, and as you get used to that you become more geared towards the flavour.

Step down to non-nicotine and all you're smoking is flavoured air vapour.

Quick Reply

Latest