The Student Room Group

FanFiction.net - The Purge

As you guys may or may not know, FanFiction.net is doing a purge by deleting rated M stories. While this will help make the site child-friendly, you have to note that some of the stories that were deleted were awesome and highly followed, so it's a bit illogical to delete them with their large fanbase.

But that's my opinion, what about you? What do you guys think about The Purge?

(P.S. NOT THE FILM. LOL)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Seriously? I only ever read the stories rated M...what a stupid idea. Usually use Mediaminer to read fanfics though tbh.
Original post by Firenze26
As you guys may or may not know, FanFiction.net is doing a purge by deleting rated M stories. While this will help make the site child-friendly, you have to note that some of the stories that were deleted were awesome and highly followed, so it's a bit illogical to delete them with their large fanbase.

But that's my opinion, what about you? What do you guys think about The Purge?

(P.S. NOT THE FILM. LOL)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find this out?

I hope they are just removing the ones rated incorrectly and not removing M rated ones altogether! Some of the best ones i have read were rated M :frown:
They can't do that surely?! I've just had a quick look in the Harry Potter section and there's over 600k of fics in there, when you filter by M there's 126k. They'd be deleting a fifth of their Harry Potter fics. That's ridiculous. Plus most of the best I've read have been M rated.

So their doing it to make the site more child friendly when you can already filter by K-T blocking out M rated stories anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
How did you find this out?

I hope they are just removing the ones rated incorrectly and not removing M rated ones altogether! Some of the best ones i have read were rated M :frown:

Several authors have already had their stories deleted such as fg7dragon's naruto chaos mage which was already completed. He/she's currently rewriting it right now. Several authors are petitioning against it but I'm not sure if it was successful or not. But i'll keep you posted if there's an update

Posted from TSR Mobile
FanFiction? Is that like an online library or something? Who needs to read when you have FIFA 14?
Reply 6
Original post by Silver Arrows
FanFiction? Is that like an online library or something? Who needs to read when you have FIFA 14?

Fanfiction are just the way people can rewrite their fave show. For example some people change the pairing in harry Potter so instead of Harry and Ginny, it's Harry and Hermione. And some people have different interests so don't diss reading, silver arrows.

But Fifa14 is awesome, or so i've heard....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
Fanfiction are just the way people can rewrite their fave show. For example some people change the pairing in harry Potter so instead of Harry and Ginny, it's Harry and Hermione. And some people have different interests so don't diss reading, silver arrows.

But Fifa14 is awesome, or so i've heard....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Capitalise my username name next time. Come on, basic literacy skills.

Edit: I do find reading very boring.
Original post by Silver Arrows

Fanfiction is stories for people who can't make up their own stuff and have to copy other people's ideas. They also believe they know the work better than the creator, or know what the work needs more than the creator, or believe the original work 'owes them' something. There is no-one less creative than a fanfiction writer.
Also apparently the people who do it can't write for ****. It's all trash best to ignore it and stick to the good old PS3.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Tom_green_day
Fanfiction is stories for people who can't make up their own stuff and have to copy other people's ideas. They also believe they know the work better than the creator, or know what the work needs more than the creator, or believe the original work 'owes them' something. There is no-one less creative than a fanfiction writer.
Also apparently the people who do it can't write for ****. It's all trash best to ignore it and stick to the good old PS3.

Perhaps some do it for that reason, but others do it because they enjoy characters from certain shows etc and like to explore those characters more/write stories about them in alternate universities etc. I only really read fanfiction about Bulma and Vegeta from Dragonball Z and whilst a lot of it is utter tosh, I've read some brilliant stories which are excellently written.

Quick Reply

Latest