The Student Room Group

Should I teach English in Europe for a year?

Poll

Should I teach English?

I have almost finished the Trinity CertTesol course and find the idea of taking a gap year and teaching somewhere more and more apealing. However, the money is not good, it is enough to live an ok student lifestyle but I cannot save any money for uni, so basically it is just for the experience.

I understand French and speak it a little bit so France seems like the most logical option but I'm not sure whether I should go somewhere I don't know, or should I just go straight to uni?

I'd like some opinions from you lovely people please, whether you think it is a good idea, a bad idea, or whatever opinion you have!

The poll is multiple choice, so you can vote yes for whatever and then yes for a country.
Reply 1
I would have though that teaching English in a country where you don't know the language would be very very hard and frustrating. Not that we should all give up at challenges, but it is an unnecessary one. However, if it something you want to do then I guess it's your choice. If it was me personally I wouldn't, but it's your life.
Reply 2
Well i'd have thought you would need to speak the native language in order to teach English and even if it isn't a requirement, I agree with Alex Mann that it would be difficult and frustrating for both you and your students.
If you really want to go for french and go to Paris. It would dramatically increase your fluency and the experience would be amazing and rewarding.

If it were me I would go for a gap year and teach french however consider the options carefully as you can always take a gap year after uni. By then your degree is done and dusted and you could work on your french as well (or another language) whilst studying for your degree.
Reply 3
The course is designed so nothing but English is spoken in the classroom and the students expect that. As part of the course we had four hours of Indonesian lessons which were taught solely in Indonesian, it is perfectly possible!
Reply 4
The course is designed so nothing but English is spoken in the classroom and the students expect that. As part of the course we had four hours of Indonesian lessons which were taught solely in Indonesian, it is perfectly possible!
Reply 5
No other opinions?
In would take the gap year and go to Paris as French is the only language you (claim) to be able to speak a little of and as such it would be the most rerwarding for both you and your students if you could converse with them in their native tounge.
Reply 7
I'm personally in favour of gap years, and would go to teach English in a country where you want to enjoy the sights and sounds, learn more about the culture, people, economy, political and societal structure etc, and a country which you would unlikely visit in the future.

That would essentially narrow it down to a South American or African country, but that's just me.

Latest

Trending

Trending