The Student Room Group

what to do on my year abroad

I have a year abroad starting September 2024, which must be taken in a francophone country as I'm taking French joint hons. I wanted to see if I could get an internship, as I can't really afford to just attend a university for the year if I can't get a job on the side. I am aware that going to university normally results in a higher maintenance loan than working, but I would rather get experience in something that I potentially want a career in than just study more. My interests are in government policy, international law and diplomacy etc but all the internships that I have found are unpaid for 35-40h work per week. The only paid one that I found was in Geneva and it was roughly £1500 for six months' work, which is nothing compared to cost of living in Switzerland, especially as no fees are paid for you (which I'm not expecting as this rate anyway). I wanted to look at the British Embassy, the UN etc. but the Embassy has no internship opportunities and the UN is fully unpaid. By a miracle has anyone on here seen any governmental (or even legal) companies that accept British students? even for four months. due to additional flight costs I'd rather stay in Europe but with Brexit I feel like my options are just narrowing in this field the more I think about it, and I don't really want to end up teaching English for a year if I can help it.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a year abroad starting September 2024, which must be taken in a francophone country as I'm taking French joint hons. I wanted to see if I could get an internship, as I can't really afford to just attend a university for the year if I can't get a job on the side. I am aware that going to university normally results in a higher maintenance loan than working, but I would rather get experience in something that I potentially want a career in than just study more. My interests are in government policy, international law and diplomacy etc but all the internships that I have found are unpaid for 35-40h work per week. The only paid one that I found was in Geneva and it was roughly £1500 for six months' work, which is nothing compared to cost of living in Switzerland, especially as no fees are paid for you (which I'm not expecting as this rate anyway). I wanted to look at the British Embassy, the UN etc. but the Embassy has no internship opportunities and the UN is fully unpaid. By a miracle has anyone on here seen any governmental (or even legal) companies that accept British students? even for four months. due to additional flight costs I'd rather stay in Europe but with Brexit I feel like my options are just narrowing in this field the more I think about it, and I don't really want to end up teaching English for a year if I can help it.

Hi there,

Current Cardiff uni student studying International Relations here!

I feel you! I have similar interests but have struggled to get experience, does your university offer any work experience modules or career guidance for this? It's such a challenge and I haven't found anything yet, especially paid as the field is so competitive. Have you checked out NGO's in fields that you're interested in?

Wishing you the best for finding something - it seems like you're being really tenacious!

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending