The Student Room Group

Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance

Hi all,

I know that you probably got tired of all the posts around here that are similar to mine, but I am quite worried that the results that I obtained today on GMAT are not enough for the schools that I want to apply to in the following weeks, particularly those from the UK. I only hope that, having a complete presentation of my profile, you could give me your objective thoughts, including areas that I should work on, what should I emphasize most in my essays, and whether I should retake the GMAT.

Background. 22-year-old male from Eastern Europe, graduated in June 2021, currently in a gap year. I aim for a career in London, so I prioritize UK schools.

Target Schools.

UK: LSE MSc Finance, Oxford MFE, LBS MFA, Imperial MSc Finance, UCL MSc Finance.
EU: HEC, Bocconi, RSM (all MSc Finance).

GMAT.

710 (91st) = 49Q (74th) + 38V (84th).
6.0 in AWA (88th), and I really don't know what happened in IR but I scored an embarrassing 5 (48th).
I hope to God that my target schools don't care that much about IR. I am worried that 49Q is mediocre or not enough for my target schools.

Work Experience.

Internship as a Consulting Analyst in Management Consulting (think of Oliver Wyman, Roland Berger…not MBB) for two months, two years ago.
Currently working as an IB intern at a local boutique investment bank (not a big name at all, it's an FT Partners wannabe boutique).
Will do an internship as a Financial Analyst in Tech (think of Amazon, Microsoft) for four months in 2022 but the role seems more like Management Accounting.

Education.

Bachelor's in International Business Administration from a top school in the Netherlands. First Class (GPA on a scale of 1-10 but mine translates to 4.0 International GPA) with good-excellent results in quantitative courses. Teaching Assistant for two second-year courses. Societies: management position in an Entrepreneurship club and member of a Finance club.
Summer School at a top EU school, course in Finance (VC & PE, specifically), obtained the maximum possible result.
Exchange Semester at a top US public school, concentration in Finance and Consulting, obtained a 4.0 GPA.

Others.

English, French (other than my native language).
R, C++, Python - I programmed a profitable trading bot in Python (not like anything you'd find on GitHub).
Good results in sports competitions, several concerts as a guitarist, although evidence for both hobbies is older than 2018.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bgrad99
Hi all,

I know that you probably got tired of all the posts around here that are similar to mine, but I am quite worried that the results that I obtained today on GMAT are not enough for the schools that I want to apply to in the following weeks, particularly those from the UK. I only hope that, having a complete presentation of my profile, you could give me your objective thoughts, including areas that I should work on, what should I emphasize most in my essays, and whether I should retake the GMAT.

Background. 22-year-old male from Eastern Europe, graduated in June 2021, currently in a gap year. I aim for a career in London, so I prioritize UK schools.

Target Schools.

UK: LSE MSc Finance, Oxford MFE, LBS MFA, Imperial MSc Finance, UCL MSc Finance.
EU: HEC, Bocconi, RSM (all MSc Finance).

GMAT.

710 (91st) = 49Q (74th) + 38V (84th).
6.0 in AWA (88th), and I really don't know what happened in IR but I scored an embarrassing 5 (48th).
I hope to God that my target schools don't care that much about IR. I am worried that 49Q is mediocre or not enough for my target schools.

Work Experience.

Internship as a Consulting Analyst in Management Consulting (think of Oliver Wyman, Roland Berger…not MBB) for two months, two years ago.
Currently working as an IB intern at a local boutique investment bank (not a big name at all, it's an FT Partners wannabe boutique).
Will do an internship as a Financial Analyst in Tech (think of Amazon, Microsoft) for four months in 2022 but the role seems more like Management Accounting.

Education.

Bachelor's in International Business Administration from a top school in the Netherlands. First Class (GPA on a scale of 1-10 but mine translates to 4.0 International GPA) with good-excellent results in quantitative courses. Teaching Assistant for two second-year courses. Societies: management position in an Entrepreneurship club and member of a Finance club.
Summer School at a top EU school, course in Finance (VC & PE, specifically), obtained the maximum possible result.
Exchange Semester at a top US public school, concentration in Finance and Consulting, obtained a 4.0 GPA.

Others.

English, French (other than my native language).
R, C++, Python - I programmed a profitable trading bot in Python (not like anything you'd find on GitHub).
Good results in sports competitions, several concerts as a guitarist, although evidence for both hobbies is older than 2018.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input.

Where did you end up getting in?
Reply 2
yes interested, you have a real solid problem!
Reply 3
strong profile sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending