The Student Room Group

Is university education a right or a privilege?

Discuss your opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone? Do people have the 'right' to university, or is it a privilege?

Your thoughts please.
Reply 2
in my mind taxes should be raised so that university education should be made free too
Reply 3
privilege - a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group
right - a moral or legal entitlement to have or do something

I think it should be a right earned through excellence in previous studies. So, a privilege conferred on those who are intelligent and hard-working enough to benefit from it (and who may therefore, in turn, benefit society through it).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I think it should be a right for those who are prepared to put the work in, there are too many people going to uni for the wrong reasons and it's not fair on those who actually work hard to get there and while they're studying for their degree.
Reply 5
University education should be an essential right.
I'm not sure about it being a right, but it should not depend on the income of you or your family.
Reply 7
Original post by fazhiya

No point in sending half wits to university is there ? Many graduates are scarcely literate already.
Reply 8
Original post by Old_Simon
No point in sending half wits to university is there ? Many graduates are scarcely literate already.

What I mean to say is: people who cannot afford university or cannot attend university due to any societal issues should have the right to go to university. However, for those who are not interested can choose whether or not they want to study at university or not, but everyone should have the right as long as they are going in with the right attitude.
If you tell a baby it is dumb its whole life, then it will end up thinking its dumb and will not try to be better than what others define it to be, whereas if you give people the chance then we could potentially have the next Einstein and other famous people who make important and significant discoveries.
Reply 9
Original post by fazhiya
What I mean to say is: people who cannot afford university or cannot attend university due to any societal issues should have the right to go to university. However, for those who are not interested can choose whether or not they want to study at university or not, but everyone should have the right as long as they are going in with the right attitude.
If you tell a baby it is dumb its whole life, then it will end up thinking its dumb and will not try to be better than what others define it to be, whereas if you give people the chance then we could potentially have the next Einstein and other famous people who make important and significant discoveries.

I think it is generally clear if a school has encountered the next Einstein by the time the child is about five and a half. There is no need to send them to university on the off chance they might discover a fourth dimension or something.
Reply 10
A privilege for those who've worked hard and truly hold a passion for the subject they wish to study further. Definitely not a right. 'Rights' are everywhere nowadays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
University education is not a right, a significant proportion of the population simply cannot succeed at it.

While being a privilege though i do think it's right that government removes any income disparity via tuition and maintenance loans.
I think it should be a privilege, if it were a right then a huge amount of the population would go to university, get a degree, and never need it for a start. Those people who never need it are then spending 3 years at university instead of working and being productive.
You also get a large portion of those going that get a crap degree from a crap "university" that doesn't really count for anything because it still places them at the bottom of the pile.
Related to the above statements there is then a funding issue. For it to be government subsidised a large increase in revenue, most probably in the form of higher taxes is required, and student loans would just be foolish under current systems since a lot of those graduating, especially those referred to in the first section who don't need the degree, will be on such low income that they don't pay a penny back, or very little back, which isn't financially viable for those giving the loans.
Can we put the question a different way? Is it right that the taxpayer should pay to send a lot of ill equipped people to do useless degrees at third rate institutions who then have no hope of re-paying their "loans" ? Remember as graduates on low salaries those same graduates are going to be paying excess taxes for the others who follow. It is not "free" in any sense. Half the reason for the expansion in undergraduate numbers is to disguise the shocking employment situation for young people.
Reply 14
Can we put the question a different way? Is it right that the taxpayer should pay to send a lot of ill equipped people to do useless degrees at third rate institutions who then have no hope of re-paying their "loans" ? Remember as graduates on low salaries those same graduates are going to be paying excess taxes for the others who follow. It is not "free" in any sense. Half the reason for the expansion in undergraduate numbers is to disguise the shocking employment situation for young people.

The employment situation pre-crisis was really not bad. Around 700,000 job vacancies approximately 2 people looking at each job vacancy. Further, youth unemployment was highest in 1981 when state industries were closing and decline over the next 20 years before the big push for most graduates.

Your comments are not historically applicable, Blair simply believed in education (and I have some sympathy with him).
Original post by Rakas21
The employment situation pre-crisis was really not bad. Around 700,000 job vacancies approximately 2 people looking at each job vacancy. Further, youth unemployment was highest in 1981 when state industries were closing and decline over the next 20 years before the big push for most graduates.

Your comments are not historically applicable, Blair simply believed in education (and I have some sympathy with him).

Unemployment is only part of the full employment situation. There are huge numbers of menial poorly paid jobs, sometimes involving shifts, which many graduates would certainly imagine they might avoid. Sadly many are unable to. Education for its own sake although noble does not make sense when the UK is deskilling as much as possible to reduce labour costs.
Reply 16
Unemployment is only part of the full employment situation. There are huge numbers of menial poorly paid jobs, sometimes involving shifts, which many graduates would certainly imagine they might avoid. Sadly many are unable to. Education for its own sake although noble does not make sense when the UK is deskilling as much as possible to reduce labour costs.

Aye. The economy today does produce more jobs than ever and i'm sure after 10 years of growth we'll all be crowing about the low unemployment rate. The question of course is whether the modern economy produces the right kind of jobs for everybody.

I don't expect such a dire situation, the UK as a whole is not de-skilling. What we are seeing though is a 2 tier economy whereby you have a fair proportion of skilled jobs but then another tier where you have menial work for everybody else.
Reply 17
Original post by arson_fire
I think it should be a privilege for those motivated enough to meet the entry requirements. However everyone should have the right to attempt to meet those standards.

My sentiments exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Privilege.
Original post by fazhiya

Bachelor, master's, doctorate, or post-doc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending