The Student Room Group

Received 4 unconditional offers, now need to decide.. HELP!

Okay, I'll start off by saying I am new to TSR and I haven't quite got the hang of it yet, so I apologise if I'm repeating any other posts/forums!

I would like some advice on the Uni's that I have received offers from. To paint a quick picture of myself and my background - I am classed as a mature student (23 years old), I am also visually impaired and it's been over 5 years since I've been in full time study. I took Physics, Maths and Biology A levels where I received AAA during the first year but ended the two years with DBD due to spending 90% of my second year at hospital investigating my sudden vision loss. Last few years I've been working in dead end jobs, but now my health has stabled some what, I've made the decision to apply to University to pursue my dream of studying Physics! (Yes, geeky I know..).

I have applied to study Bsc Physics with a Preliminary/Foundation Year at;
University of Bristol, Nottingham Trent, University of Kent, and Loughborough University.

SO; if anyone has any input on these Uni's, what it's like to be a young 'mature student', life at Uni with a disability or can point me in the direction of a relevant thread I would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance :smile:
I think that Bristol is the best of those universities but as well the one that'll be the hardest to navigate (literally) for a student with a visual impairment: that's a split-site city centre campus. Kent would be far easier in that sense. I can't speak for the other two.
Reply 2
It could be worth emailing the universities and asking them what sort of support you would get due to being visually impaired, as that will obviously have a large effect on your experience at uni.
Reply 3
Original post by alow
It could be worth emailing the universities and asking them what sort of support you would get due to being visually impaired, as that will obviously have a large effect on your experience at uni.

This.

But out of the lot, id have to say Bristol is a class above the rest :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you for your replies!

They all seem fantastic for offering support, I guess it won't be till I'm there that I find out just how much support they will actually offer.. And yes, I can see a running theme here that puts Bristol 'top'; it's the only one I had to have an interview for too.

In all honesty I didn't expect to get one offer, let alone 4 so I do appreciate all the help/advice I can get :smile:
Reply 5
First of all, congratulations on your offers! And secondly, have you been to visit any of the universities? Did any particular one stand out to you? I've only visited Loughborough University but for me personally, it felt like a bit of a mission navigating around the campus and trying to find my way. All the best anyway :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Beccal91
Thank you for your replies!

They all seem fantastic for offering support, I guess it won't be till I'm there that I find out just how much support they will actually offer.. And yes, I can see a running theme here that puts Bristol 'top'; it's the only one I had to have an interview for too.

In all honesty I didn't expect to get one offer, let alone 4 so I do appreciate all the help/advice I can get :smile:

If the support is pretty much of the same standard I would go for Bristol if I were in your position. Did you like the atmosphere there when you went for your interview?
Reply 7
Thanks mandyyy6 :smile:

Yes, I've been to open days at all of them except Loughborough which I'm due to visit the start of next month. I was hoping that I'd get a gut feeling for one of them, but so far I've been impressed with all of them despite how different each one was!

Bristol did have a good atmosphere and the city itself is great too. Although, unlike the other two Uni visit days I attended, none of the other applicants spoke to me! I put this down to the fact that they were perhaps nervous for their interviews/majority were younger than me/I was the only female!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending