The Student Room Group

U of Edinburgh Postgraduate Applicants 2023

Hello everyone!

Im an international student and received an offer for an MSc program. I also applied to UCL but haven’t heard back. I would love to connect with others applying!

- What other universities have you applied to?
- What made you apply to the University of Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rlee21
Hello everyone!

Im an international student and received an offer for an MSc program. I also applied to UCL but haven’t heard back. I would love to connect with others applying!

Hello,

I am also an international student who wants to apply to the University of Edinburgh for a Master's degree in the MSc. Management. I am also applying to 4 other UK universities soon for the same course. These are Imperial College London, UCL, LSE and the University of Manchester. The main reason I am applying to these universities is mainly because of the quality of education.

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Edinburgh. This is truly a good achievement. Since I am also applying for a Master's degree at this university, I would like to hear which programme you applied to and how you made your application stand out. What did you emphasize while writing your motivation letter? Any tips you can share on the successful application?
Reply 2
Original post by Jake Baker
Hello,

I am also an international student who wants to apply to the University of Edinburgh for a Master's degree in the MSc. Management. I am also applying to 4 other UK universities soon for the same course. These are Imperial College London, UCL, LSE and the University of Manchester. The main reason I am applying to these universities is mainly because of the quality of education.

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Edinburgh. This is truly a good achievement. Since I am also applying for a Master's degree at this university, I would like to hear which programme you applied to and how you made your application stand out. What did you emphasize while writing your motivation letter? Any tips you can share on the successful application?

Thank you! I applied to the medical anthropology program which is not at all as competitive as the one that you are applying to.

- I have a 3.5/4 CGPA
- I have 6 years work experience
- I connected a personal experience to what I learned in one of my undergraduate modules which emphasized the reason why I want to further study anthropology. I also mentioned the skills that would contribute to my success, and how their program aligned with my career goals.

Good luck with your application!
Original post by Rlee21
Thank you! I applied to the medical anthropology program which is not at all as competitive as the one that you are applying to.

- I have a 3.5/4 CGPA
- I have 6 years work experience
- I connected a personal experience to what I learned in one of my undergraduate modules which emphasized the reason why I want to further study anthropology. I also mentioned the skills that would contribute to my success, and how their program aligned with my career goals.

Good luck with your application!

Thank you!

You have impressing background, both academic and professional.
Thank you for detailed answer and really helpful tips.

Wish luck on your studies!
Hi,
I am also an international student applying for MSc in Edinburgh. The programme is MSc Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies so not that competitive (I guess)
I also apply for 3 other universities for similar programmes. University of Oxford, SOAS (Got an offer a few days ago), and Exeter.
The reason that I apply for Edinburgh is the good reputation. Second, There are a few scholars there that share te same research interest as mine. And finally, two of my closest professors studied there for their Master and PhD and they all highly recommend there thus I guess it will be a nice place for me to pursue my study.
Here’s my background:
- GPA: 3.7/4.0
- Work experience as a research assistant for several months
In my personal statements, I focus on what project I want to research, then connect it to my major in college. Also, my research experience and what I learned as a research assistant.
I wish all of you here can get a good result! If you have any questions regarding to application, maybe we can discuss it here.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
I applied to Edinburgh for an MSc in Business Analytics on 30/10. I applied to 4 other schools as well, and I've gotten confirmation from all of them that my application is currently under consideration, but for some reason, I never got confirmation from Edinburgh. In fact, when I go on the online tracker, it says that my application is still being processed, even though I submitted it over 2 weeks ago. Does anyone else have this problem?

And to answer the original question, I'm also an international student and have applied to Imperial, LSE, UCL, and UCD. I've interviewed already with both Imperial and UCL (LSE and UCD don't do interviews), so now I'm basically just waiting for decisions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by apple0719
Hi,
I am also an international student applying for MSc in Edinburgh. The programme is MSc Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies so not that competitive (I guess)
I also apply for 3 other universities for similar programmes. University of Oxford, SOAS (Got an offer a few days ago), and Exeter.
The reason that I apply for Edinburgh is the good reputation. Second, There are a few scholars there that share te same research interest as mine. And finally, two of my closest professors studied there for their Master and PhD and they all highly recommend there thus I guess it will be a nice place for me to pursue my study.
Here’s my background:
In my personal statements, I focus on what project I want to research, then connect it to my major in college. Also, my research experience and what I learned as a research assistant.
I wish all of you here can get a good result! If you have any questions regarding to application, maybe we can discuss it here.

Wow, very impressive. Good luck with your application!
Reply 7
Original post by daar
I applied to Edinburgh for an MSc in Business Analytics on 30/10. I applied to 4 other schools as well, and I've gotten confirmation from all of them that my application is currently under consideration, but for some reason, I never got confirmation from Edinburgh. In fact, when I go on the online tracker, it says that my application is still being processed, even though I submitted it over 2 weeks ago. Does anyone else have this problem?

And to answer the original question, I'm also an international student and have applied to Imperial, LSE, UCL, and UCD. I've interviewed already with both Imperial and UCL (LSE and UCD don't do interviews), so now I'm basically just waiting for decisions.

Hi! I would reach out to admissions to confirm that they have received your application. I received the confirmation email within a day.

When did you apply and hear back from UCL? Edinburgh is my top choice but still waiting to hear back from UCL.
Reply 8
Original post by Rlee21
Hi! I would reach out to admissions to confirm that they have received your application. I received the confirmation email within a day.

When did you apply and hear back from UCL? Edinburgh is my top choice but still waiting to hear back from UCL.

I submitted my application for UCL on 30/10, and both of my references were submitted by 02/11. I got invited for the interview on 07/11.
Hi,
Here’s my background:

Update!
Got my offer last Wednesday (11/23)!
Application submitted on 10/27
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello there! I've applied to university of Edinburgh for MSc management and my application is still being processed. How long does this usually take. May I know when did you apply to the university?
Original post by Rlee21
Hello everyone!

Reply 11
Update!
Got my offer last Wednesday (11/28)!
Application submitted on 10/27

Congrats!! 🎉 hope to see you there if that’s where you decide to go.
Reply 12
Original post by Dannymat1
Hello there! I've applied to university of Edinburgh for MSc management and my application is still being processed. How long does this usually take. May I know when did you apply to the university?

Hi! I received confirmation within two days that my application was received then it stayed at the “ready for a decision” status. I submitted my application on 10/5 and received an offer on 10/28.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ayee congratulations guys!! I’m still waiting for a decision, they said it’ll be out by 1st dec so hoping to hear something today if not I’ll probably email them. I had applied on 28th September
I got offer for MSc Finance, Technology and Policy today. Extremely happy
Reply 15
Original post by abhinavkhare

Congratulations on your offer!

congratulations!

Congratulations! May I know when did you apply?
Original post by Dannymat1
Congratulations! May I know when did you apply?

I applied on September 22, 2022. Got first response from them on October 13, 2022 for some additional document.
I applied on September 22, 2022. Got first response from them on October 13, 2022 for some additional document.

That's great! I just applied a few days ago for MSc management. And my portal still says that my application is being processed.hopefully everything gets done in 2 months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending