The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arrow900
The way you phrased it made it sound as if your non maths course contains more maths than an actual maths course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And I explained afterwards to another poster that what I meant was that on my course we have like 6 hours of maths every week to 3 of biology. Hence the 2x amount of maths 'verses any other science' on my course.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
And I explained afterwards to another poster that what I meant was that on my course we have like 6 hours of maths every week to 3 of biology. Hence the 2x amount of maths 'verses any other science' on my course.

OK well in that case I apologize

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GenghisKhan'sDNA
i know there are exceptions, i am not talking about every single girl in the world. but the degrees i mentioned have very few girls in the compared to boys. so i want to hear from the girls (the vast majority) who didn't choose to pursue them , why did you avoid them?

It has nothing to do with "avoiding" them. I love science. It's just not something I was to pursue career wise. How come you didn't go to school to be an esthetician? It's as simple as that. Probably just not into it.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe

Personally I don't consider maths a science - that's why it's called STEM.

But within that "M" you have "maths" and "stats", which are completely different subjects really, from my limited experience from friends who have done such a course at Bath University it tends to be stats.

Pretty much most of the stuff they did as "maths" I had no idea what they were talking about, despite doing maths. Because they did so much stats, I believe.

I mean, it's impossible enough to study 3 sciences, any maths beyond "maths for X/Y/Z" will not be studied. No Cantor or other such pure math excursions.

The actual element of such a course that would be the most "mathsy" would not in fact be the "maths", but rather "physics" confusingly enough.

I suppose what I am getting at is that maths and statistics have less in common than maths and physics do. They all have separate goals: the inference of conclusions from data, the study of mathematical objects, and the study of the rules that determine how the stuff in our universe works and also the universe itself, resp.

As a postgrad in maths (actually theoretical computer science: read "graph theory"), stats feels somehow more distant than physics and probably more than chemistry and biology too.

I was recently reading about applying graph theory to DNA! But to statistics?

Probably a bit of a strange post: it's just now dawning on me that I have no idea what people studying stats actually do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DanielDr
That doesn't say anything about the level of maths/physics in your degree since you are comparing them to very girly courses. Maths/physics students have an average IQ of 130+. The average ones! Do you realize how insane that is when only something like 2% of the population is at that level?

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/

It's no wonder so few girls go for these degrees since we know there are very few high IQ women compared to men.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/dr-paul-irwing-there-are-twice-as-many-men-as-women-with-an-iq-of-120plus-426321.html

If you're standing around waiting for a female Einstein or Perelman take a seat, cause it's gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait.

There are some very good female mathematicians. Just a minority is all.
Original post by Raiden10
There are some very good female mathematicians. Just a minority is all.

That's true but not on the level of the best male ones. Women have won exactly ZERO Fields medals and Abel prizes. Yes, there have been some great female scientists in pretty much every field but almost none come close to the achievements and intellect of the top men, even in the 21st century. More or less ZERO women have the combo of extreme brain power, creativity, obsession and autistic type personality to be a Perelman or a Tesla.
I'd really love to, but I'm not smart enough hah

Latest