The Student Room Group

What are some top paying/great science careers (aside from medicine and in physics)?

Hey guys, I'm basically having a stressed little episode, wondering what to do with my life and what the future holds and all of that melodramatic shizz haha :L
I know that choosing a degree should obviously not rely on one factor, especially just money, which is not what I am basing choosing a degree wholly on. But money is important and I just want to see what careers people suggest pay well in science (and their average salaries in the UK) so I can look more into them. I know I definitely want to do science related to biology or chemistry (but not physics as I haven't taken it for A-levels), and knowing the average salary side is of course something I need to know and is a contributing factor in deciding especially when careers can seem pretty similar.
I know a lot of people get criticised for asking this question, but honestly we all would prefer if we had the choice to have a career that paid well to have a better lifestyle. And I think if you enjoy the subject as well, then there's nothing wrong with that.
I've been looking at pharmacy, pharmacology, biomedical sciences and biochemistry but I'm still very stressed and confused :frown:

Please suggest some careers! Also ones you might suggest due to other factors such as job stability, career options, and also quality of work life (e.g. stressful long hours) if you could.
Reply 1
Not many that are related to life sciences, I'm afraid.

Maybe chemical engineering. Only well-paid biology/chemistry related career i can think of.

But generally going into industry - biotech or pharma perhaps - will be much better paid than research. Many people I know have "jumped ship" after PhDs or years in research for industry for the money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Honestly, very few science careers pay well. Shocking, but (apparently) true.

I'm planning on doing Chemistry in uni and then going onto I.Banking, which does pay well (not only doing it for the money- I actually genuinely enjoy finance, and would love to work in it). Perhaps look at careers that are not directly linked to science? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Philbert

Maybe chemical engineering. Only well-paid biology/chemistry related career i can think of.

But generally going into industry - biotech or pharma perhaps - will be much better paid than research. Many people I know have "jumped ship" after PhDs or years in research for industry for the money.

Ahh thank you very much for the chemical engineering suggestion! I was just looking it up then :smile:
Stupid question, but when you say 'pharma', do you specifically mean pharmacy? And not like pharmacology etc aha :colondollar:
Yeah I've heard generally that pharmacy has good pay in industry. How do you think the pay would compare to chemical engineering? I feel like there could be more demand for chemical engineers as more pharmacists seem to be available, but that's just an assumption
Reply 4
Original post by suzylemonade
Honestly, very few science careers pay well. Shocking, but (apparently) true.

I'm planning on doing Chemistry in uni and then going onto I.Banking, which does pay well (not only doing it for the money- I actually genuinely enjoy finance, and would love to work in it). Perhaps look at careers that are not directly linked to science? :smile:

I thought so :frown:
That actually sounds like a pretty good plan since you get to do a subject that you enjoy for 3 years, while also getting the benefit of good pay. Is it quite easy to get a job in banking with that degree? (Or even just in general).
Thanks for taking the time to answer :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by monica95
Ahh thank you very much for the chemical engineering suggestion! I was just looking it up then :smile:
Stupid question, but when you say 'pharma', do you specifically mean pharmacy? And not like pharmacology etc aha :colondollar:
Yeah I've heard generally that pharmacy has good pay in industry. How do you think the pay would compare to chemical engineering? I feel like there could be more demand for chemical engineers as more pharmacists seem to be available, but that's just an assumption

Pharmaceuticals, I meant, sorry. I don't know if that's what you mean. It's a common abbreviation. Researching and marketing new drugs. Think GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, AstraZeneca etc.

I'd say chemical engineering would probably pay more generally, but then I know very little about wither industry, really, so dont take my word. There are a huge amount of pharmacy (as in working as a pharmacist) graduates and few jobs, so it's hard to get into. I have no idea what the pay is like.
Original post by majmuh24
Depends which science.

This - particularly if you're counting things like Maths and Economics as "sciences".
(which is debatable I suppose).
I go by this chart. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics= applied chemistry?

Er, what? Pretty sure physics is just applied maths, with a bit of extra crap about forces and all that.
I think you read it the wrong way round... :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait, chemistry= applied physics? Okay, that's bull****. I was prepare to accept it the other way around, but no :tongue:
Original post by Philbert

I'm definitely not an expert on science, but I did read an article on NewScientist recently that said the gap between the public and private sectors in science is massively exaggerated and hardly exists in the UK for most fields.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending