The Student Room Group

Alevel Choices

What Alevel should i pick?
Reply 1
im yr 11 right now, just did 2 rounds of mock tests, 1 last yr nov, 1 last month, i got all 9 for all 3 sciences, 8 in maths, 7 in english language + literature, 7 in geography, 7 in computer science, 6 graphics design, U in spanish.

Atm I'm considering math, bio, chem, and then physics as my 4th alevel, but now Im not sure because apparently all 3 science are content heavy, and alot harder compare to GCSEs, so I'm scared I might end up fumbling all of them, but i don't know whenever to pick another alevel, or just do 3, since my school offers psychology, sociology, law, I might do that but i don't like waffling based subjects.

I used to want to do dentistry or medicine for uni ( wanted to do dentistry because I thought it's a chill job and I really like having everything planned out for me and medicine because 2 of my friend does it, and its suppose to have good pay plus my parents are chinese, so they really want to me pursue a career in these 2 fields, or law, and that sort of influenced me as well), but after reading several posts on studentroom, I'm not sure if I want to do dentistry or medicine.

If Im being honest, the pay do really matter for me, and I just don't have a career that I'm truly passionate about, any suggestions would genuinely help alot ( as in like alevel choices, or like uni courses i could do ), :puppyeyes:..

:flower2:
Original post by olly52
im yr 11 right now, just did 2 rounds of mock tests, 1 last yr nov, 1 last month, i got all 9 for all 3 sciences, 8 in maths, 7 in english language + literature, 7 in geography, 7 in computer science, 6 graphics design, U in spanish.
Atm I'm considering math, bio, chem, and then physics as my 4th alevel, but now Im not sure because apparently all 3 science are content heavy, and alot harder compare to GCSEs, so I'm scared I might end up fumbling all of them, but i don't know whenever to pick another alevel, or just do 3, since my school offers psychology, sociology, law, I might do that but i don't like waffling based subjects.
I used to want to do dentistry or medicine for uni ( wanted to do dentistry because I thought it's a chill job and I really like having everything planned out for me and medicine because 2 of my friend does it, and its suppose to have good pay plus my parents are chinese, so they really want to me pursue a career in these 2 fields, or law, and that sort of influenced me as well), but after reading several posts on studentroom, I'm not sure if I want to do dentistry or medicine.
If Im being honest, the pay do really matter for me, and I just don't have a career that I'm truly passionate about, any suggestions would genuinely help alot ( as in like alevel choices, or like uni courses i could do ), :puppyeyes:..
:flower2:

Have a look at degree options and choose that way. The sciences are pretty content heavy, I can't lie - if you really want to, go ahead (you can always drop it later if you want).

I was similar to you when I chose my A-levels, wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do later and I just wanted it to pay well.
After looking into it a bit more I decided on biochem because I thought careers coming off physics didn't suit me and I didn't want to do medicine.
I think have a look at sites like https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
They have a good range of careers on there that you can have a look at, and decide from that what sort of thing you want to do. It'll make it a lot easier to choose the A-levels.

If you're still not sure, no worries - have a look at the courses your school offers for each A-level you're considering and see if you can imagine which ones you'd enjoy learning more.

And no pressure - it's not at all uncommon for people to change what A-levels they're taking once they've started the course. I think I'm the only one of my friends who didn't change their A-levels - some of my friends changed all 4, then decided to just do 3, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest