The Student Room Group

Arkwright financial reward help!

I was awarded Arkwright scholarship back in September 2013 and the mentoring and engineering day have all been very helpful. I just have one problem. I received my first year financial reward of £300 at the rewards ceremony back in October and ever since then it has been sitting in my bank account and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. The handbook gave some suggestion but they were very broad. I can't use it to get work experience as I already have that so I'm currently wondering what I should do with it. I know I want to study Civil Engineering at University and was wondering if I could use it to help get there. Is there any projects I could spend it on, building or designing? Does any one have any ideas what I can use my money purchase to further my engineering dream? What projects could I undertake? etc. Help!
Original post by Trent96
I was awarded Arkwright scholarship back in September 2013 and the mentoring and engineering day have all been very helpful. I just have one problem. I received my first year financial reward of £300 at the rewards ceremony back in October and ever since then it has been sitting in my bank account and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. The handbook gave some suggestion but they were very broad. I can't use it to get work experience as I already have that so I'm currently wondering what I should do with it. I know I want to study Civil Engineering at University and was wondering if I could use it to help get there. Is there any projects I could spend it on, building or designing? Does any one have any ideas what I can use my money purchase to further my engineering dream? What projects could I undertake? etc. Help!

I also got my award in September 2013. First of all, there's really no pressure to spend it. You don't need to spend the £300 by next October (but you do need to spend the £600 by the time you leave Sixth Form), so there's plenty of time.

I toyed around with the idea of starting a project, but I couldn't think of anything and I really don't have the time. To be honest, I don't really think there are many independent projects you can do for Civil Engineering at this level other than the EES.

I've spent most of my money on learning. I bought a subscription to NewScientist and National Geographic, and I bought a couple of interesting reference books. It's not as extravagant as doing a fancy project, but it's definitely very useful.

But as I said, don't feel any pressure to spend it. I'm sure you'll find a use for it.

Quick Reply

Latest