The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science

Hi,
I heard second hand that colleges and unis are discouraging college-leavers to study paramedic science due to the high drop out rate and intensity of the course. I heard they are only really encouraging mature students to go into it. Can someone studying Paramedic science please confirm if there is a high proportion of mature students on your course and whether you think it's still something worth going into at 18? I am really interested in hearing the perspective of a current student. Thank you.
Original post by Froggylegs2006
Hi,
I heard second hand that colleges and unis are discouraging college-leavers to study paramedic science due to the high drop out rate and intensity of the course. I heard they are only really encouraging mature students to go into it. Can someone studying Paramedic science please confirm if there is a high proportion of mature students on your course and whether you think it's still something worth going into at 18? I am really interested in hearing the perspective of a current student. Thank you.

I can't recall seeing any posts from paramedic students recently. I'm not sure if @PAR2MED can help?

Are you due to go to any open days as this is the type of question you can ask students and staff? Also, try emailing the uni departments.

2024 applicant thread where you can chat to fellow applicants: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7393597
Reply 2
I have quite a few friends through my voluntary work that are studying Paramedic Science or are qualified. I think it is one of those careers that appeals to and is open to both school leavers and later career changers. Check with the Uni or go to an open day, I imagine you will find that a large proportion of students are post college and I doubt this is discouraged. There are other routes too, for example ambulance technicians can still progress to paramedic with on the job study while with an Ambulance Trust.

I see that it is a physically and mentally demanding course and then career. Although it is a glamorous and respected role it doesn’t have the same financial rewards as medicine despite a high level of responsibility, risk and probably stress. It is however an interesting and very important role. See if you can get to speak to some student and qualified paramedics at various stages of their career.
Hi,

That's good question, it usually depends on how prepared and ready for the course an individual is.

Paramedic Science is an extremely intense and quite demanding job, which often requires a significant amount of resilience and perseverance, especially when facing challenging situations environments. :bike:

Similar to the other comments, make sure you do your research. Definitely visit your local universities to have a chance to speak to academics and current students on the course, about their experiences within the field. You can do this via Open Days, Information Evenings and even check the university, if they offer any virtual experiences.

Good Luck and remember to follow your dreams and passions! :smile:
Reply 4
Hi,

Hey,

I've just qualified and I'm within my NQP Period with a trust. I did my degree with Sheffield Hallam University, starting at age 19.

At the start of the degree I believe there was around 95 people, with a great mix of mature and school leavers (I'd guess around 60% mature 40% school leavers). Towards the end of 3rd year I'd say around 75 people ended up graduating, but that difference isn't all due to the intensity/difficulty of the course, many had big life events that led to them having a year off and then rejoining the course. So to answer your questions:

*Generally* there is a higher proportion of mature students but I would say age is not the cause of a high drop out rate but mentality, life stresses, financial difficulties etc. push someone to leave a degree.

Do I still think it's worth going into at 18? absolutely, If you've got that drive and you're passionate that you want to study paramedicine to become a paramedic then you should go for it. There's a lot of responsibility but it's part of a rewarding career that offers you lots of opportunities down the line. And in terms of life experiences, you'll be around 21 when you qualify, you would have developed your own experiences, knowledge and confidence making you a unique paramedic.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else.
-Drew
Reply 5
Original post by Trolly42b
Hey,

I've just qualified and I'm within my NQP Period with a trust. I did my degree with Sheffield Hallam University, starting at age 19.

At the start of the degree I believe there was around 95 people, with a great mix of mature and school leavers (I'd guess around 60% mature 40% school leavers). Towards the end of 3rd year I'd say around 75 people ended up graduating, but that difference isn't all due to the intensity/difficulty of the course, many had big life events that led to them having a year off and then rejoining the course. So to answer your questions:

*Generally* there is a higher proportion of mature students but I would say age is not the cause of a high drop out rate but mentality, life stresses, financial difficulties etc. push someone to leave a degree.

Do I still think it's worth going into at 18? absolutely, If you've got that drive and you're passionate that you want to study paramedicine to become a paramedic then you should go for it. There's a lot of responsibility but it's part of a rewarding career that offers you lots of opportunities down the line. And in terms of life experiences, you'll be around 21 when you qualify, you would have developed your own experiences, knowledge and confidence making you a unique paramedic.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else.
-Drew

Hi!

Ive recieved an offer to study paramedic science at Sheffield Hallam uniersity. I'm seriously considering putting it down as my firm choice but would like to know more about the course from a student persepctive. Would you be able to give me some information about how you found studying the course and the course structure/assessment methods? Also how did you find balancing your social life and studies?

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by izzy_gsy
Hi!

Ive recieved an offer to study paramedic science at Sheffield Hallam uniersity. I'm seriously considering putting it down as my firm choice but would like to know more about the course from a student persepctive. Would you be able to give me some information about how you found studying the course and the course structure/assessment methods? Also how did you find balancing your social life and studies?

Thanks!
Hey, Sorry for the delayed response.

How did I find the course?
I really enjoyed the course content, it was methodical and well thought out (They've been running the course for a while and been able to take students opinions to change/alter things). This structure is found on the UNI site. However, I was within a cohort that was within COVID, things starting to go more online with Virtual lectures/ meetings where possible. which I believe they've carried on. (Still doing practical aspects within uni but making more lessons virtual). With roughly 50% theory + practical and 50% Placement.

Structure and assessment methods?
The cohort was split in half and given different scheduled lessons/practical (First half attend in the morning, second in the afternoon etc). Each half were then split into further groups with around 10 per class for practical lessons and OSCE practice. Teachers varied and some lessons included 2nd and 3rd years students to help. A good mix of assignments, MCQs and OSCE. The second and third years results equate to your final grade (Unsure of ratio, but I believe 3rd year had the highest weight on final grade).

Balancing social life and studies?
I didn't go to student accommodation and can't comment on the Sheffield nightlife, living in dorms or what work it available within Sheffield, sorry :/. I did, however, stay within my home town and was able to have a part time job alongside studies. I was extremely lucky with the management as they were completely flexible with my schedule, I could pick up or drop shifts with short notice. I didn't find working alongside tiring, it was a different environment and helped me boost my income. Sheffield Hallam do enable student to help with private event work (As a first responder) for some big events, although they're not frequent.

Studying was very varied throughout students, some were able to revise very last minute and get decent grades while some prepared and studied far in advanced and still came out with similar grades. Sheffield provide students with a huge amount of resources to study with, a huge bank of online books (access to all the import books and research papers), lots of CPD sites. They also provide students with OSCE kits in preparation for OSCE's (Which would include a resus dummy, BVM, airway tools ect) that would be shared within groups of 10, student would need to arrange meeting within their own time.

These are quite broad, personal answers. feel free to ask anything else more specific 😀
Hi,
Hi , I’m currently 17 applying for paramedic science . I must say it has been a daunting experience to say the least.

Every interview that I’ve been to, since applying for paramedic science has been full of mature students, which was initially very intimidating. After conquering my fear of being the youngest person in the room, the whole process felt less scary. At interviews I asked a lot of questions about why the dropout rate is so high and the lecturer responded saying that the course is very hard on student mental health but overall very rewarding. It has been my dream for the past two years, so I do feel more determined to progress onto the course despite the challenges that come with the job/degree.

Another thing to consider is that financially also just preparing to get on this course can also be draining. Due to the fact that you have to pay for driving lessons and also buying a car as lot of university wants u to have car for placement. Also learning to drive I time for the university deadline has also been kinda stressful but I have my test booked for March and I’m excited for what will happen .

I’m 17 and I have two offers already and I only applied for paramedic science so it entirely possible . You just have to consider whether you are a resilient person and are determined to pursue this career . Don’t choose it if your wishywashy on it . Also it’s helpful if when applying for this course if you have a supportive network around you .
I know a couple people who are currently studying this at UWE, Bristol. They both absolutely love it and seem to be persevering well. Neither are the most studious people, getting average GCSE and A Level results, but are managing just fine. They are both 18/19 and say a lot of their course mates are close in age.

Quick Reply

Latest