The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shloke123
Its an Empirical Formula sort of question, divide 80 by the mass of tungsten so roughly 180. Divide 20 by mass of Oxygen, so 16. you get W in ratio to O of 4/9 in ratio to 5/4. So basically ratio is 0.5 : 1.25. Double this for integer Ratio of 1 : 2.5. Round to 1 : 3. Therefore its is WO3 :smile: I approximated a lot here but you can get away with it in Empirical formula questions because its easy to differentiate between answers :smile: hope this helps and makes sense haha

omfg its just the same as them given you a mass to work it out empirically. cheers anyway!
Original post by drifter_skylight
this one will sound dumb. I am not getting the right answer to any Pythagarous equation involving surds
for example
find hyptoneuse
for triangle
with sides of 4 + (square root 2) and 2 - (sqauare root 2)
so If i square these both I get a total of
24 + 4 (square root two)
taking the root I get
(square root four * eight) + (square root four) times by (square root 2)
so the answer I get is
2* (square root eight) + 2 * (square root 2)

That is not the right answer . the right answer is

3 - (square root 2)

please someone help me to see where I go wrong. thanks.

You are going wrong when you square the sides of the triangle. 4 + root2 squared + 2 - root 2 squared is 20 + 4root2, not 24 + 4root2
Anyone here find the specimen section 1 ridiculously easier than the other past papers? I got 29/35 and i never got above 25 in the other ones
Please tell me where in this ist bit I'm doing it wrong. ignore the square root 4 on the right side.. it was meant to be square root two.
(edited 9 years ago)
can someone just clarify something about oxidation numbers for me please.

so atom by itself is just zero
its only when it becomes ion etc the number goes up or down.

so this mol CH3COCO2H changes to CH3CH(OH)CO2H
this molecule is reduced as oxygen was zero and now in hydroxide its -1.

The CH3COCO2H has 5 hydrogen atoms, and the CH3CH(OH)CO2H has 7 hydrogen atoms. So because one of the definitions of reduction is the addition of hydrogen atoms, the compound has been reduced because it has gained hydrogen atoms, I believe.

PS: If I'm wrong anyone, please don;t hesitate to correct me.
Please tell me where in this ist bit I'm doing it wrong. ignore the square root 4 on the right side.. it was meant to be square root two.

sorry i misread the question, you did it right haha
Original post by shloke123
sorry i misread the question, you did it right haha

my answer is not right though because the right answer
is

3 - (square root 2)
and if I reduce
24 + 4 *(square root two)
I wont get that answer.
Original post by ΘTheta
The CH3COCO2H has 5 hydrogen atoms, and the CH3CH(OH)CO2H has 7 hydrogen atoms. So because one of the definitions of reduction is the addition of hydrogen atoms, the compound has been reduced because it has gained hydrogen atoms, I believe.

PS: If I'm wrong anyone, please don;t hesitate to correct me.

no you sound correct. I need to research it but the only difference I can see with that compound is that oxygen and hydrogen have gone into (OH) form so from 0 to -1 so that's a reduction. .but I need to research this.
Original post by aprocrastinator
I think the science questions are harder than they actually are and the aptitude questions easier.

Ah ok, thanks.
No wonder I was getting the hang of the aptitude questions!!!! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends how bad you are. What scores are you getting?

----------------

Just got 6.2 on the supposedly 'killer' 2010 Section 2. Made a couple of silly mistakes but I was also familiar with some of the questions (only gave myself a max of 0.5 marks for each of those).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1990
How does one rearrange to make x the subject for this eq:

y = (x^2 + 2ax). ^1/2

its q 13 bmat 05 section 2

Anyone please can u look at attachment and simply the squared surds at the top the right eventual answer is 3 - square root two
Did anyone find 2011 s2 the hardest of all? My score dropped a lot.
This has probably been asked before but:

Does anyone know what BMAT score is regarded as 'good' by Cambridge? What should I be aiming for? And is it true that they don't really care about section 3?
Original post by Clai
This has probably been asked before but:

Does anyone know what BMAT score is regarded as 'good' by Cambridge? What should I be aiming for? And is it true that they don't really care about section 3?

Depends what you mean by "good" really. I think getting over 6 in S1 and S2 would be considered a strong performance.

As far as I know, Cambridge view S3 as being less important.
Original post by Refrigerator
This was the solution I wrote up a few months ago:

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 12.19.56.png

In hindsight, it's not a particularly good solution as it assumes you know what's going on. If you do, great. If not, I'll try and explain it better:

The questions tells us that x is directly proportional to z2 whereas y is inversely proportional to z3. Ignoring the constants of proportionality, we can write the following 2 equations:

x = z2
y = 1/z3

Now, as the image above says, we just need to try out the different options. When "try out" I mean work out what x and y would be given what they say in the answer choice, and see if they equal the same thing. Btw, because we're ignoring the constants of proportionality, replace the phrase "directly proportional" with "equals".

A - "The square of x is directly proportional to the cube of y". x2 = z4. The cube of y = y3 = 1/z9. These 2 are clearly not equal to each other, so this cannot be the answer.

B - "The square of x is inversely proportional to the cube of y". We don't even need to bother working this out, as the numbers are going to be the same as A, and we know that A can't be right.

C - "The cube of x is directly proportional to the square of y". Okay. So the cube of x = x3 = z6. The square of y = y2 = 1/z6. This is almost the right answer, but not quite.

D - "The cube of x is inversely proportional to the square of y". This is exactly the right answer. We already worked out from C that the cube of x is z6 and the square of y is 1/z6 and so we know that the cube of x must be inversely proportional to the square of y.

That solution looks awfully similar to the worked solution provided by BMAT crash course in their booklet...
Anyone please can u look at attachment and simply the squared surds at the top the right eventual answer is 3 - square root two

It's much easier if you treat it like a rectangle and divide by two at the end.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Depends what you mean by "good" really. I think getting over 6 in S1 and S2 would be considered a strong performance.

As far as I know, Cambridge view S3 as being less important.

Thanks, although I found this on Gonville & Caius' website (that's where I'm applying). I guess it's best to pick a question that you can talk about in an interview!

"Part of the interviews with Directors of Studies may consist of a discussion of your answers to Section C of the BMAT, and if this is the case you will be provided with a copy of your script."
Original post by Clai
Thanks, although I found this on Gonville & Caius' website (that's where I'm applying). I guess it's best to pick a question that you can talk about in an interview!

"Part of the interviews with Directors of Studies may consist of a discussion of your answers to Section C of the BMAT, and if this is the case you will be provided with a copy of your script."

Yeah I wouldn't neglect S3 personally, a good score there won't do any harm of course!
Is it too late to sit BMAT if I havent booked it yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending