The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is the BMAT hard? The problem is that I got a high UKCAT score (much higher than expected) but I was planning on applying to 2 BMAT universities too - my GCSEs are strong, unsure about personal statement and hopefully AS results should be okay! But I'm not sure whether to take the risk or instead apply to unis where I am guaranteed an interview. Advice is appreciated, especially from previous years' applicants! :smile:
Original post by Refrigerator
This appears to be a question that requires basic knowledge of electromagnetic induction/generators, which I've never seen in a BMAT paper before (at least not in the new 2009+ spec) - where did you find the question?

You can find a solid explanation of the concepts here at BBC Bitesize - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_ocr_pre_2011/electric_circuits/mainsproducedrev1.shtml

The question is describing the classic process by which AC (alternating current) is generated in, for example, power plants. Ultimately, the goal is to spin a coil of wire, in a magnetic field, and this magically "creates" current. So in power plants, coal, gas etc is burned to heat a massive container of water, which turns into steam, which rises up goes through a tube and in doing so, spins a coil which "creates" electricity.

If you've read about generators/electromagnetic induction on the BBC Bitesize website, you would know that increasing the speed of coil turning would increase the frequency of the alternating current, and also increase the amplitude. The EMF (which basically means voltage) is dependent on the amplitude, and so that will also increase.

PS: The "resistive load" is irrelevant. It just means "the current is driving something that has resistance" which doesn't change anything about the question.

Cool, thanks for the link and explanations :biggrin: This was from a very early paper, 2003. So i guess the specifications have changed quite a bit since then.
ps. sorry its not letting me thumbs up you at the moment! :/ I will try again later!
(edited 9 years ago)
Help! This q is from 2003 aptitude and skills section. I kind of get why E is the answer but I would like to check my understanding by someone else providing an explanation of why E is the answer and not the others.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Attachment not found
Original post by Luminique
Help! This q is from 2003 aptitude and skills section. I kind of get why E is the answer but I would like to check my understanding by someone else providing an explanation of why E is the answer and not the others.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Attachment not found

Attachment not working?
An are which I'm concerned about but haven't really seen a lot of information is the MATHS in the BMAT. I haven't done physics or maths since GCSE and although there is a large amount of information available on physics in the BMAT, I've found very little on the maths involved. So can anyone give me a good guide or place to go over the topics and what to expect maths-wise in the BMAT?
Yeah ive done as maths thats ok right? Thing is we didn't do statistics I did mechanics instead, so are their a lot of stats in BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone recommend the best way to revise physics for BMAT if you haven't done it at AS?

I was planning on getting some GCSE revision guides but if anyone can advise I'd be very grateful!
Can you get a good BMAT score if you do lots of practice?
Original post by dongeezy
Can anyone recommend the best way to revise physics for BMAT if you haven't done it at AS?

I was planning on getting some GCSE revision guides but if anyone can advise I'd be very grateful!

Look on here (BMAT Section 2 Syllabus - Everything you need to know) to see a list of the topics you need. The website www.physicsnet.co.uk is very good at explaining the concepts, as is BBC Bitesize. Revision guides aren't necessary, but they might help.
Attachment not working?

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 20.55.34.png

Hey there! I think it should work now? If not I'll send a web link instead. :smile:
Original post by Luminique
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 20.55.34.png

Hey there! I think it should work now? If not I'll send a web link instead. :smile:

If you look at the shape of the graph, it's a sigmoidal curve - in the middle of the graph there is a "steep bit" where a small increase in volume results in a large increase in depth (relative to the rest of the graph). This means that in the middle of our container, we need a small increase in volume to result in a larger increase in depth than the others.

Translated into simple English, this means that our container needs to be thinner in the middle than at either end. E is the only one that fits the bill.

I'll try and explain that a bit more in depth, as it's a somewhat difficult concept in the context of this question. Imagine two glasses. One of them is fat, and one of them is thin. Let's say we add 100ml to each glass. Naturally, the water would reach a higher height (i.e.: depth) in the thinner glass than in the thicker one. Therefore, we can say that for a given increase in volume (100ml or whatever), we get a bigger increase in depth for the thinner container.

This is exactly the scenario we want in this question. The graph starts off shallow, gets steeper, and then goes shallow again. This means that the container is fat initially, then gets thinner, and then gets fat again ==> E.

Hope that helps!
If you look at the shape of the graph, it's a sigmoidal curve - in the middle of the graph there is a "steep bit" where a small increase in volume results in a large increase in depth (relative to the rest of the graph). This means that in the middle of our container, we need a small increase in volume to result in a larger increase in depth than the others.

Translated into simple English, this means that our container needs to be thinner in the middle than at either end. E is the only one that fits the bill.

I'll try and explain that a bit more in depth, as it's a somewhat difficult concept in the context of this question. Imagine two glasses. One of them is fat, and one of them is thin. Let's say we add 100ml to each glass. Naturally, the water would reach a higher height (i.e.: depth) in the thinner glass than in the thicker one. Therefore, we can say that for a given increase in volume (100ml or whatever), we get a bigger increase in depth for the thinner container.

This is exactly the scenario we want in this question. The graph starts off shallow, gets steeper, and then goes shallow again. This means that the container is fat initially, then gets thinner, and then gets fat again ==> E.

Hope that helps!

Oh thank you so much! This makes so much sense now!! Your explanation is wonderfully clear :smile:
Reply 392
Look on here (BMAT Section 2 Syllabus - Everything you need to know) to see a list of the topics you need. The website www.physicsnet.co.uk is very good at explaining the concepts, as is BBC Bitesize. Revision guides aren't necessary, but they might help.

Do you recommend the Thinking Skills Critical Thinking and Problem Solving book for section 1? Published by Cambridge University Press. Authors are John Butterworth and Geoff Thwaites
I just can't do the critical thinking questions...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RainbowVeins
I just can't do the critical thinking questions...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are quite easy for you I think :smile:
Original post by JackTeh96
Those are quite easy for you I think :smile:

You have too much faith in me mate :smile:
Original post by StephenNaulls
I applied for medicine this year, did both the UKCAT and BMAT. If anyone has any questions about them fire away :smile:

HI,

i am a graduate student and i recently did the UKCAT but unfortunately my result was poor (600 average).

regarding the BMAT, do you think i have is enough time to revise for it?

if so, do you have any tips regarding revision material and how to get top marks?

Hey I am a graduate student, and when I was at 6th form (all those years ago!) there wasn't much information out there about the different medical aptitude tests. After reading some of these posts I still haven't found an answer to my pretty simple question! Basically I have booked my UKCAT test for late August (trying to be organised for once!) but now that Leeds University have changed their admissions I am now required to sit the BMAT test as well. This would be fine as I have found a location that actually do the test near where I live. My question is basically…. Am I right in thinking that the test date (5th of November) is AFTER the deadline for UCAS, would this still be ok for the 2015 entry??? This is confusing me so much more than the actual BMAT itself!!!
Original post by danifranko10
Hey I am a graduate student, and when I was at 6th form (all those years ago!) there wasn't much information out there about the different medical aptitude tests. After reading some of these posts I still haven't found an answer to my pretty simple question! Basically I have booked my UKCAT test for late August (trying to be organised for once!) but now that Leeds University have changed their admissions I am now required to sit the BMAT test as well. This would be fine as I have found a location that actually do the test near where I live. My question is basically…. Am I right in thinking that the test date (5th of November) is AFTER the deadline for UCAS, would this still be ok for the 2015 entry??? This is confusing me so much more than the actual BMAT itself!!!

Yes, the BMAT is taken after you submit your UCAS form.
Does anyone have experience with the BMAT Crash Course taught by Oxbridge medical students? Would you recommend it?

Latest

Trending

Trending